Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Add backup camera to 2011 F-150 XLT ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Crsavage1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I could not post pictures directly for some reason in a reply, but I did create an album under my profile called Truck Harness that has some pictures in it of what I believe is both sides of the harness at the back of the truck which I *think* is the right harness....any ideas?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Crsavage1
New User
Ok wrong harness but I did find the correct one. My mirror does not have wire in #8 or 16. So I too have a trailer harness and was curious, did you just splice in to that any certain way and dumb question (I'm on a roll) what kind of wire did you run up to the mirror and again, how did you splice into the mirror plug? Running wire seems a lot easier. I assume you still replaced the whole rear end harness correct? Then simply ran the wire from the other side of the plug up through the cab to the mirror. Is that about right? Sorry for the stupid questions but thanks for any help.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:04 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
for the video wire, I grabbed a piece of 20 ft RCA audio cable. Pulled the red and white ends apart and then soldered them to each other...so about 40 ft total of wire that is pretty well insulated with 1/8-1/4" of rubber coating. the inner cable was the +, the outer wire was the -

routed it up the left frame rail and entered the cab using a drain plug grommet under the drivers floorpan. then up the left window pillar and across to the mirror

check your mirror harness and see if the plug has metal blanks installed already. If they are there, you can pop them out and attach the wires to them, then simply put back into the plug.

for power and ground at the camera, I spliced into the 7-pin trailer harness. White = ground, Orange = switched 12v power

as for pictures, I can't find yours. join Photobucket.Com and then upload. use the [img] code to post them here. Much quicker and easier than fighting FTE. Once I can see the camera plug I hopefully can help you out on that. Please make sure you get the wire colors included in the pics. Those are key to telling which camera you have

Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Crsavage1
New User
My mirror plug does not have the pins in the blanks. Not sure how to splice the video wires I ran into the plug. Also having a hell of a time getting the rear view mirror off. Any thoughts?

Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 PM
t_b
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
check your mirror harness and see if the plug has metal blanks installed already.
Tylus - any idea as to what size those blanks are for the mirror plug and where to source them?

Old 10-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Crsavage1
New User
So I figured out that my video wires are WHT-GRN and BLK-GRN. Mirror is 2011 version but still cannot get the old one out so will wait until tomorrow on that. I have the same issue as t_b in that I do not have the female ends in the blank on my plug to the mirror. Either need to figure that out or will have to buy the harness for the headliner.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 AM
BigGuy2011
New User
Mirror removal

I just had a glass shop remove my mirror yesterday. he depressed the clip from the bottom with a bent pick like tool and tapped on the bottom with a small hammer till it moved a little then it came right off. Look at your new mirror and see how the clip is depressed and just take your time tapping.

After the new mirror was on the compass said CAL. for about a 15 minutes while i was driving home. the blue screen was there when i reverse. and the auto dim works.

Tip for removing the emblem on your tailgate so you can install the camrea.
I parked the truck with the tailgate in the sun for an hour. and just pulled it off with my fingers. it left the sticky tape on the truck no damage.

Also i used license plate inserts to mount the camera they fit perfect in the mounting holes. just make sure to thread your screws in before you put them on the truck. pre-thread so they dont spin when you attach the camera.

I also need to know how to attach the wires to the mirror without a new harness. and at the new rear harness.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Crsavage1
New User
Thanks for the tip on the mirror. I see the clip and bent a flat head screwdriver but still couldn't manage it. Decided I would address it once I figured out how to wire the mirror etc. As for my camera I have the following 6 wires.

WHT/GRN VIDEO
BRN/VLT VIDEO
PUR/ORANGE
GRY/VLT
BLK/GRN
BLK

I know my video wires because they are shielded. The black is as well. I assume one of the remaining is power, one is ground, one must be a reverse sensor? My plan was to run the two video cables to the cab in the mirror plug. Tie in power to the orange and white on my trailer harness. Not sure if this gives full functionality. I have a new rear harness but not sure why I need it if I can tie into the video feeds right from the camera harness and same for power and ground? My body harness lacks the video cables anyhow. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 10-09-2011, 08:08 AM
BigGuy2011
New User
Originally Posted by Crsavage1
Thanks for the tip on the mirror. I see the clip and bent a flat head screwdriver but still couldn't manage it. Decided I would address it once I figured out how to wire the mirror etc. As for my camera I have the following 6 wires.

WHT/GRN VIDEO
BRN/VLT VIDEO
PUR/ORANGE
GRY/VLT
BLK/GRN
BLK

I know my video wires because they are shielded. The black is as well. I assume one of the remaining is power, one is ground, one must be a reverse sensor? My plan was to run the two video cables to the cab in the mirror plug. Tie in power to the orange and white on my trailer harness. Not sure if this gives full functionality. I have a new rear harness but not sure why I need it if I can tie into the video feeds right from the camera harness and same for power and ground? My body harness lacks the video cables anyhow. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!
The only reason i can see to have the new rear harness is if you ever want to remove the tailgate.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Crsavage1
New User
Oh right so you could unplug the camera plug. Yeah I cannot see a need for that for me.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by Crsavage1

WHT/GRN VIDEO
BRN/VLT VIDEO
PUR/ORANGE
GRY/VLT
BLK/GRN
BLK

I know my video wires because they are shielded. The black is as well. I assume one of the remaining is power, one is ground, one must be a reverse sensor?
the wrapped wires (3) are your video. the black wire inside that bundle does nothing. It's the shield wire. It runs the length of the harness and just ends at the mirror plug. Does nothing.
White/Green is the Camera +
Brown/Violet is the Camera -
My plan was to run the two video cables to the cab in the mirror plug. Tie in power to the orange and white on my trailer harness. Not sure if this gives full functionality.
this will work just fine. exactly what I did. only use the Orange wire at your 7 pin. this is a switched 12v power supply. you can use the Black/Light Green wire (reverse) if you don't want it on all the time

I have a new rear harness but not sure why I need it if I can tie into the video feeds right from the camera harness and same for power and ground? My body harness lacks the video cables anyhow. Anyone have any thoughts?
I would use the new harness. It will give you that disconnect just in case you decide to remove the tailgate for some reason in future. also will make it slightly easier for you to run your new video wires IMO
I didn't have a 16 pin connector in my truck. So I bought this connector. attached all the leads I needed and my mirror works perfectly. This will require you to cut your current plug off...but it will work.
3M - CHG-2016-J01010-KEP - Rectangular Connectors - Connectors - Allied Electronics

there are 2 guide pins on either side. Shave those off and the connecter is a perfect fit inside the mirror

as far as your compass not working, 2 possible things are going on.
1. You removed the compass module when you replaced the mirror. it looks like a little box that is attached to the rear mirror

2. you have a 2010 mirror on a 2011 (or vice versa) truck. The compass wires changed locations. I think I posted the wire guide earlier, but I'll post them again so you can see how the pins moved locations
My truck had the compass module add-on. I simply moved those wires to the 16 pin connector linked above. Compass works fine now because my new mirror is a sync/compass/screen mirror

Old 10-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

2011 mirror
Name:  Mirror20plug202011.jpg
Views: 2185
Size:  70.5 KB

2008-2010 mirror
Name:  user70987_pic32573_1244047428.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  44.1 KB

Old 10-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by BigGuy2011
I also need to know how to attach the wires to the mirror without a new harness. and at the new rear harness.
for you, and CRSavage1

unplug the wire harness from your mirror. pull it down and using a flashlight look at the face of the harness. You should see "1, 8, 9, 16" on the face. Look inside each of the holes where a wire goes.

If you are lucky, each of the 16 slots has a small metal "clip". should look something similar to the item linked belowif those are there, you can slip them out and simply attach the 2 wires you need and re-insert into your factory plug.

you can also pop the compass wires out and move them to the proper pin locations. takes about 5 seconds

Old 10-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Crsavage1
New User
Thanks Tylus for the feedback. After looking for the actual terminals to fit inside the harness itself, I decided might be better off just buying the same plug you did and just putting on the new plug. It looks a lot wider than the 16 pin plug I have currently on the truck, but I cannot imagine the plugs themselves are that much different on the mirrors. Did you say you had the 2011 mirror or the 2010? I have the one ending in CD which from reading appears to be a 2011. I also stopped by NAPA and PEP Boys and picked up a few terminals to see if they would fit in the harness itself. The Metri Pack almost do and probably would with some creative shaping, but in the end for a cleaner more reliable run, I decided to just buy the same plug.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

I have a 2010 mirror luckily. Only took me 3 days to figure that out. My camera is a 2011 though. You can imagine my confusion.
but yeah, that connector I linked will fit perfectly. The 2 little tabs on either side have to be trimmed off. I used a pocket knife and it took all of 30 seconds. Once the connector is a perfect rectangle, it slips onto the mirror easily and is pretty snug.
when you get that plug, solder in wires that are about 6" long to the terminals. Then use splice connectors to attach to your current rear mirror wires. That way you can keep your OEM plug and wiring without cutting. I'm not a fan of cutting wires unless absolutely needed

Quick Reply: Add backup camera to 2011 F-150 XLT ?