Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Had to put my IDI swap on hold....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Had to put my IDI swap on hold....

As some of you may remember, I had been planning to do an IDI/ZF swap in my F150. Well, I have had to put that plan on hold. The current 300/C6 works pretty good, so it can wait a while. I still want to do the swap, and might tackle it down the road.
The reason for delaying:

That is the 1974 F100 my father bought new, and drove as a daily driver until about 3 years ago. His driving was getting rather bad, so we had to take the truck somewhere else to keep him out of it. My sister lived about 2 miles away, and she had plenty of room in her driveway, so it went to her house. She not only didn't keep up the tag, but didn't even bother to start it up. Since the tag was over 2.5 years out of date, the city threatened to fine her and tow the truck away, so I went after it.
I have gotten it running, and nearly ready to hit the road again.
It's got a *slightly* warmed up 6.4L/390 (GT390 internals) and C6 in it.

BTW, the red truck is the 300/C6 F150 that was gonna get the IDI/ZF swap. As you can see, the 300 still pulls pretty good, as I had to drive 25 miles to get to my sisters house.......
The 2.75 gear don't help, but it pulled the load just fine.

Just thought I'd update those of you that might be wondering why I seemed to quit coming into this section.....
The swap may still happen, but it's going to be a while. Restoring dad's truck is my top priority. I learned to drive in that truck, and have waited nearly 30 years to get it.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:27 PM
38Chevy454
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The 74 looks pretty good shape and deserves to be kept in the family. As long as your red truck is running good, it can wait for the IDI swap.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
2.5 Years later, but the 74 has been back up and running for a while.
The 300 ate up the starter drive and flexplate shortly after I got the 74 back on the road, so I ended up letting it sit for a while. A bit too long, as it turns out. The engine was nearly locked up when I first tried to get it going, but a bit of fiddling got it freed up and running again.
Have replaced the starter and flexplate, and it does run, but the engine is making a bit too much noise internally...... It does have well over 150K on the engine.
This has got me back on track to do a diesel swap. However, rather the IDI/ZF route I had originally intended to take, I'm looking more towards a 12V Cummins 5.9L and NV4500. Or possibly a 24V Cummins, since they can be (somewhat) easily converted back to mechanical injection. Computer controlled pump, mechanical type injectors.

I have always liked the Cummins engine, but never been a fan of dodge trucks.
The 6.9/7.3L IDI is still a great engine, and I have not totally ruled out using one. But a Cummins is far more likely to find it's way under the hood of my truck, unless I run across a killer deal on a complete IDI donor truck.

One factor that heavily weighs in, I can find complete Cummins donor trucks for less than the cost of a turbo kit for an IDI. Heck, a couple days ago I was offered a running dodge dually flatbed truck with 12V cummins/5 speed, and a spare 91K 12V strapped down on the back, for ~$3K. Granted, they were both older non-intercooled engines, but that's pretty easy to cure.......
I know the guy who has these, and they aren't going anywhere for a while. When they do, most likely to come my way. 1 to drive while doing the swap, then either sell it off or use it for the heavy stuff.......

Old 12-22-2013, 02:46 PM
MPoulson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the architecture, I'd say you were in or around the Carolinas.
If you were closer, I could hook you right up!

How's your dad doing? What does he think about you running his old truck?
My youngest daughter has already called dibs on my diesel MK2 Jetta

Old 12-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MPoulson
By the architecture, I'd say you were in or around the Carolinas.
If you were closer, I could hook you right up!

How's your dad doing? What does he think about you running his old truck?
My youngest daughter has already called dibs on my diesel MK2 Jetta
Actually, I'm in OK.

Dad is still around, and is thrilled I have the old truck up and running. Sadly, he still thinks I am gonna turn it back over to him, even though he can barely remember how to get from one room to another......

I had an old VW diesel once. Still regret getting rid of it.
It was an 80 Dasher wagon 4 speed manual. Only got rid of it due to major starting issues when cold. Later learned the pump timing was likely off, and air was likely getting into the system.......
Ran good, once started, and never failed to give at least 35 MPG. Unstoppable when the snow piled up, unless it got deep enough to lift the front off the ground.......

Old 12-23-2013, 05:51 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm gonna be doing an IDI/ZF swap as well soon in my winter beater '94 shorty F150 4x4, witch currently has a gas sucking 300-5spd, 3.08's.

I'm only doing it for fuel efficiency reasons.

My dad is also going to be doing the same to his '89 F150 2wd witch has a 300-C6 2.73's.

Hes doing it for the same reasons, but also a nice show truck/ daily driver.

That gap will eventually get filled with a custom made diamond plate tool box, but no rush on that. That will come along with a paint job.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
After last week working on a Duramax, 6.0 PSD, and a DT466 (good week) I'm off to good start on this week. 6.0 PSD head gaskets. Excursion 2wd, so it's quicker to drop trans and pull engine, rather trying to lift the cab. Still dunno why anyone would put a 6" lift on a 2wd Excursion, but they did......

As the boss said this morning, at this rate I'll have a Cummins rather soon....... He wants to see me do this, since he already swapped his 6.0 for a 5.9L 12V Cummins..... I kinda wish he would "upgrade" his truck to a common rail like he really wants to do, as that would free up a good 12V........

I have pretty much ruled out an IDI/ZF due to the lack of readily available turbo versions, and the cost of a full turbo kit.
Diesel is more fuel efficient, but more so with a turbo.
This makes a Cummins 12V more desireable to me, and the NV4500 is the trans I want to back it up with. I am aware of the 5th gear issue, and know how to correct it. Just like the "killer dowel pin" in the Cummins.......