Sponsored by: Moser

My drag truck build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My drag truck build thread

Alright guys I know we get alot of 460 swaps on here but I have questions of my own. I have the chance to get a complete carb to pan 460 for 350 bucks. Yes it is the D3VE-A2A So its gonna need a couple hop up parts before i throw it in my truck. The truck its going to be going in is my 1975 F100. Now as of right now my truck is a 1975 F100 302 with a 3 on the tree manual transmission. I know for the swap I need a new tranny driveshaft tranny cooler etc. But right now I'm focusing on just getting the engine in the truck.

If I got this engine swap kit Trans Dapt 9720 Trans Dapt Performance Products Engine Swap Motor Mount Kits Would the 460 just bolt in then? Or will I need to get other parts to bolt it in?

Now my second question is can I hook all my ingition up to the 460? Now I'm gonna use the dizzy in the 460 but will the brain box I have in it now hook right up? Its the Duraspark ignition. Thanks for your help guys and I can't wait to start my build thread for you guys.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:04 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
Anybody got an answer?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 AM
lance65
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why not find the factory perches and go from there?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:11 AM
MikePacey
Elder User
Originally Posted by lance65
Why not find the factory perches and go from there?

In my area finding a parts truck is hard. most already have the truck assembaled and its mostly body parts.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 AM
ford141
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't offer any help on the motor mounts, as I've never used that kind, I used the L&L mounts when I swapped the 460 into my old F100. It originally had a 302 also. The ignition will be plug and play and the brain box will work just fine.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 AM
MikePacey
Elder User
Originally Posted by ford141
I can't offer any help on the motor mounts, as I've never used that kind, I used the L&L mounts when I swapped the 460 into my old F100. It originally had a 302 also. The ignition will be plug and play and the brain box will work just fine.
With the L&l moutns was it just bolt on and drop in? or did you have to do more?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 PM
ford141
More Turbo
The L&L are 100% bolt in. They use the factory 302 perches already on your frame, and have a relocated stud to fit the 302 perches.

Just a note: If you are going to buy L&L products, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard sells all of the L&L products for cheaper than L&L sells them from their website. Not sure why, but it will save you some money while getting the exact same product.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:47 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
Originally Posted by ford141
The L&L are 100% bolt in. They use the factory 302 perches already on your frame, and have a relocated stud to fit the 302 perches.

Just a note: If you are going to buy L&L products, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard sells all of the L&L products for cheaper than L&L sells them from their website. Not sure why, but it will save you some money while getting the exact same product.

Thanks man! I'm gonna check out his site for prices. But What do you guys think is a better way to go. Buy the 460 for 350. Or get a set of GT40 heads and a weiand intake for the 302 for the same price of 350 bucks? The truck is street strip.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:03 PM
ford141
More Turbo
Hands down, 460 for the win. There's no replacement for displacement. If you want to make a big heavy truck move down the strip, start with a big block. Much more potential available. I may be a little biased tho...

Old 08-13-2011, 09:33 AM
MikePacey
Elder User
Sorry its been awhile guys I've had lots of problems with the truck which I had to park it for two months. I had a horrible leak on my gas tank a rusted out fuel line all my lines were full of rust. So here is the skinny on the latest with my truck.

So the middle of july I get the fuel tank and new sending unit and install it in my truck. It looks pretty good because I did a nice gloss red on the tank well that day I get 5 gallons of gas and put it in the truck she starts up and runs pretty good. Well that night I took off the motor craft carb and cleaned it all out and it ran even better then next day. So I take the truck up to town which is about 2 miles from my house and fill the tank up. Shes still running good. I head up to my local advance auto parts to get some brake parts I needed and when I left advance she drove fine till she got about an 1/8 mile away then she quit on me. I couldn't get her to start welll I found out it was the fuel pump. By this time its 12 o'clock and I have to be at work at 1. So I run back up to advance and buy a fuel pump well I didn't have any tools at all so they loaned me tools to get it changed. So here I am in the middle of the road trying to get my truck out of the way to change this real quick I finally get to the side of the road and start changing the pump I had gas leakin all over me and it was burning so bad. I finally got the pump done and hurried home took a shower and still got to work on time.

So the next day I'm off from work and I'm still tuning the truck trying to get it dialed in. Well I'm driving it around and its running out of fuel in the carb quick. Ends up it was two problems. when I put the fuel line back on the carb it wasn't on right and was spraying fuel. Also the metal line that goes from the pump to the carb was leaking at the pump. So I get that fixed and shes running alot better but still missing a bit at idle. Finally I get the fuel line leak fixed and I saw a big increase in mileage and performance but there was still a miss. I do 4H and had my county fair the last week of july well its a 20 minute drive highway to my fairgrounds and I drove the truck there all week and she did really good other than the miss. I was really proud of how much better she ran. So the next week rolls around and I'm having no problems at all I'm like yes!!!!!!!! and when I got paid I got parts to finsh out my exhaust because it was straight piped to the end of the cab and that was it. Well I run pipes to right before my my rear tires. Man when I started her up she sounded so good! and guess what? the miss was gone and so was my backfiring when I left off from wide open throttle.

At my local track every thursday they have a test and tune so on august 4th. I went down and ran. The first pass my truck blew the tires off to the 330 mark. I mean I let out of it and everything and she still spun till then. She ran like a 18.88 on that pass. Pretty embarrasing. So I get a few more passes in and shes speeding up a little bit but still spinning like crazy even when I eased off the clutch and rolled out. So I put the tail gate down and a guy lets me barrow a air gauge to lower the pressure in my tires from 35 down to 21. Man did that help! truck was running 18.20s then. So then I start doin a little tuning on the carb I leaned it out just a little bit maybe a quarter of a turn on each side. Take her up and do a pass and finally!! broke in to the 17s with a 17.99 and my mph picked up by 2. I let the truck sit for a half an hour to cool down and I iced the intake to cool it down. Brought the truck back up and ran well I missed 3rd gear and then I shoved in to 3 while I still manged to run a 17.62 that was the fastest pass of the night. Man racing 3 on the tree isn't easy lol. So the last pass of the night I get to race an old 81 chevy truck with a 350. Lol the crowd go a kick out of that even the annoucer so for the old rival show down we line up and I treed him big time and beat him off the line we were right on each other I had him at the 60' he just barely beat me at the 330' well we get to the 594' and I just nose ahead my truck is tachin 4500 so I needed to shift to 3rd and I missed the shift! sadly he won that pass.

Now the motorcraft carb I had was junk when you shut if off it would leak all the fuel down to the engine so the fuel bowl would be empty when you started it. This past week I was surfing craigslist and saw a holley 2 barrel 550 for 40 bucks in town. Now it sounded a little fishy to me because I have never heard of an aftermarket 2300 that was 550 cfm. As far as I know there is only 350 and 500. So I figured why not go look at it. I do and the guy was a little weird saying it was for a small block chevy and wouldn't work on my truck. All that was on there chevy was was a adapter to an intake. So I end up buying the carb for 25 bucks! I was like even if it is junk I can clean it up rebuilt it and double my money. I get home and throw it on. It runs great! I was really suprised at how well the carb ran its a night and day difference over my motorcraft the truck deffinatly has more spunk. I'm going down to my track next weekend to race and I'll have the results for this new carb.

For now this is just a temperary set up. I decide I'm going to stick with my 302 instead of going with a 460 for a few reasons. One its a daily driver so mileage is a consern. Two small block parts are cheaper and I like beatin up on big blocks.

Now my plans for my truck are different now. Recently last month my grandfather passed and we got a couple grand that my dad and I took to by a race car so now I have a 85 monte carlo ss that we are building and I'm going to pull it with my truck. So my new plans for the truck is a serious street stripe machine. I want to get the truck down to the 13's but still be driveable on the street and get decent mileage. atleast 13 mpg.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:23 PM
73f250highboy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work. I like the part where u had to rush to get the new fuel pump installed and u still made it to work

Old 08-13-2011, 11:24 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
Originally Posted by 73f250highboy
Nice work. I like the part where u had to rush to get the new fuel pump installed and u still made it to work
Lol yeah I was deffinatly driving the speed limit when I did that...

Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
Well you guys I have an update! So this past weekend down at my track there was a big race called the Buckeye Nationals I got down late around 3 so I only got in one time run. On the run I left about at 1500 rpm and the truck bogged bad off the line and when I got to the 1/4 I felt like the truck slowed down and so I get my time slip and compare it to my fastest one from the time before which was 17.62. Now this time run was 2 tenths slower in the 60 foot then my fastest run and all the the other times were slower including the 1/8 mile. But! my quarter was 17.68 which was almost as fast as my last one. Now my mph was 2 mph faster then that 17.62 run. So 1st round started at 7 and I went up there and dialed 17.40 because that first pass it was running weird like it was stumbling. So for first round it was running better and thats why I dialed it that low cause it was cooler out to.

So I get up there and run again and it still bogged and I ended up running a 17.63 and lost. I bought back in and was fiddling with it in the pits and guess what! My number 3 spark plug wire wasn't clicked on for some reason so I get that back on adjust my air to fuel a tid bit and she ran alot better. Well I set my idle up higher so when I left the line it was gonna pick up right away. Well second round didn't even start till 10:30 at night I get up to the water box and do a burnout to get warmed up a bit and the truck started goin sideways its never done that either like it was really running like it wanted to go. I get up to the line and I'm dialed a 17.55 this time. I leave and it starts to break the tires I get out of it and back in it and then she just took off I get to the 8th and I'm going to shift in to 3rd and I missed the shift lol. Usually if I miss the shift I can get it in right away but I tried 3 times and I couldn't get it back in. So I had to let it coast to the finsh and I still rolled by at 18 seconds at 69 mphs and the guy I was racing was dialed 13.28 and he passed the line .5410 seconds before I did. So I have the feeling if I would have got that shift in I was gonna be in the 16's.

So now I'm gonna wait two weeks and do some more work and go back again. Next on my list is some new plug wires and a holley rebuild kit. Then if money allows it headers to. So I feel like I took a step forward but I really didn't get much info of this last track day. Stay tuned!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:20 AM
ford141
More Turbo
Originally Posted by MikePacey
small block parts are cheaper and I like beatin up on big blocks.

Good luck with that. My truck ran 15.60 bone stock with the 460 and a worn C6. It went low 15s (at 94mph) after a small towing cam and a set of headers. Should have been mid 14s if I could hook it up. You will have to spend a bunch on motor parts just to get to the performance of a stock 460. Mileage may be an issue, although my old '79 F100 with a 302/auto got 11.5mpg, and my current truck truck with 460/auto gets 12. The 302 was pretty wore out, so a fresh one may get better mileage.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:02 AM
1984 F-150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like u need a floor conversion kit so u can shift quicker and get er in gear.

Quick Reply: My drag truck build thread