6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

1600 miles pulling a 18K toy hauler review

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:05 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
1600 miles pulling a 18K toy hauler review

Actually the trailer is more then 18K according the CAT scales. I think like home bathroom scales the CAT may lie a bit too
The truck is pictured (DRW, not the hauler) the trailer is a 2 axle 5th wheel (8k axles, 2500 pin)

We traveled from New Jersey to Goshen Indiana for the Heartland National Rally (great rally BTW).

The truck did a great job, it is just about everything I expected. Very stable.

But - I do have the take off shudder

Although the engine brake could be more of an exhaust brake the system did an extremely good job with the cruise control set. Up and down the hills of western PA (Rt 80) the system did well maintaining cruise set speed within a couple MPH up or down.

Typically downshifting smoothly from 6th to 5th then 4th as needed. In fact, it did so well keeping speed down that I got in the habit of canceling the cruise to let inertia help.

Mileage is less then I hoped for though. Cruising at 63-65 I averaged 9-9.5, sometimes as low as 8-8.5.
After slowing down to 53-55 I got the mileage up to 11-11.5. Still was stung at the pumps though, burned 181 gallons on the trip with an average of $4 per for $724 in fuel – ouch.
My 2006 2500 Sierra would get 12-12.5 doing 54-55.

The integrated TBC is awesome, especially with the trailer having hydraulic disc brakes.
BTW, you can activate the trailer brakes, which will flash your brakes – acknowledging a friendly trucker who let you in. And this will not disengage the cruise – very cool.
The trucks brakes are defiantly up to the task too.

The Sat radio worked fine until my subscription ran out mid way – no problem though, I have an iPod buried in the dash connected to the second port. I like listening to the 60’s when traveling. Listened for 6 hours one night then in the next 6 hours of travel (12 hours later) we heard many of the same songs repeated. Most likely will not have the sub unless a really good deal.

The seats were very comfortable. My wife who has had multiple spine surgeries rode in the truck for the entire trip. Usually she will spend several hours in the trailer lying down.
The dogs slept most of the trip on the comfy bed I made for them (posted on FTE somewhere). It is nice that the heated seats stay on, unlike her Lincoln which shut off after 15 minutes.

Overall truck ride is about what I would expect, it is called a super duty after all. With the heavy pin weight the truck drops down about 3 inches, I guess to the next overload leaf. This makes for a bit more of a harsh ride. I suppose air bags to get the springs off the stops would improve the ride as well as level the truck out. At the 3 inch drop the headlights are high. I plan on doing something for the leveling.

I have a Hensley TS3 air hitch in the bed. This really helps in taming the road. The trailer is constantly floating in the mirror riding on the bags.

I have to say though; Ohio has a lot of nerve charging tolls on Rt 80!

Turning radius sucks, especially manipulating a 5<sup>th</sup> wheel into tight campsites. Drove my buddies 11 450 (also a member here) while out in Indy – what a difference in turning.

I do think that anyone who says they are pulling their 15K plus trailer and the truck tows like it is not even there is smoking crack! You defiantly know and are reminded that you have a load out back that is more then your truck weighs.

BTW, the CAT scale had my truck at 10,020 pounds. Almost full of fuel, 1 passenger, 2 Golden’s. The hitch weighs in at close to 300 and I would guess my “Truck Covers USA” tool box and roll up add another 400.

Overall, now that we finally did a real tow, I am very happy with the truck and glad we did the move up. I even lowered my payment by $5 a month!
Really need to get that Titan installed though.

Now, about that Classy Chassis hauler I saw while in Indy……………..
Didn’t know you could order the truck through these guys, pay what you normally would, rebates and all and get the hauler from the get go, with a 60 or 90 gallon auto transfer aux tank. All aluminum body, full link air ride rear suspension and 19.5 tires (F-550). This 550 has a 27K tow rating. My hitch would even drop right in.

Classy Chassis Trucks In Stock

Note - I made a change to the rear suspension which will have a separate post.

Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2011, 01:45 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Great report Duane. I know what you're saying regarding "not knowing the trailer is back there". I think comments like that are just a testament to how much control the driver has over so heavy a load. My Dad reminds me that semi's used to max at 40 feet and 30,000 lbs. Now we have equipment like our trucks available to Joe Average to hop in and go bombing down the freeway. Hopefully they all remember their trailers are back there... :-)

Old 06-26-2011, 06:16 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the info. I understand that you may have been hoping for better fuel economy, I also was disappointed when my F250 averaged just under 10mpg while towing my 12K fifth wheel camper. Although, I tend to run 70mph when I get on the open road.

If you read the forum a lot, this will sound like a broken record coming from me, but, airbags are absolutely fabulous. Your towing experience will be improved by a lot and you may even get 1mpg improvement by virtue of being level and more aerodynamically sound.

I also continue to think that the vibration on take off is normal, it's a hard working torque converter and probably some axle wrap and various other things "stretching" under a severe load. I've been wrong many times before though.....

Happy camping.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:24 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Duane,

Did you talk much with the Classy Chassis guys? I spent about a half hour with the younger guy on Wednesday morning. He told me that Allison was building the 2011 Ford transmissions. I also talked 6.7's with 4 guys that morning. All were 100% pleased with their truck.

Regards

Old 06-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny

FWIW

FORD

FORD’S AWARD-WINNING SHARONVILLE PLANT BUILDING NEW TRANSMISSION FOR 2011 SUPER DUTY
  • Ford’s Sharonville Transmission Plant outside of Cincinnati, which makes transmission components for every Ford, Lincoln and Mercury product sold in North America, is building the new 6R140 heavy-duty TorqShift® transmission for the 2011 Ford Super Duty
  • Ford invested about $320 million and added about 100 new jobs at its Sharonville facility to support the launch of the all-new 6R140 transmission
  • This new TorqShift® six-speed automatic transmission has been specifically designed and engineered to manage the power flow of the all-new 6.7-liter Power Stroke® V-8 turbocharged diesel engine and the all-new 6.2-liter V-8 gasoline engine for the new Super Duty; each powertrain delivers significantly improved torque and horsepower along with class-leading fuel economy

Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Y2KPSD
FWIW

FORD

FORD’S AWARD-WINNING SHARONVILLE PLANT BUILDING NEW TRANSMISSION FOR 2011 SUPER DUTY
  • Ford’s Sharonville Transmission Plant outside of Cincinnati, which makes transmission components for every Ford, Lincoln and Mercury product sold in North America, is building the new 6R140 heavy-duty TorqShift® transmission for the 2011 Ford Super Duty
  • Ford invested about $320 million and added about 100 new jobs at its Sharonville facility to support the launch of the all-new 6R140 transmission
  • This new TorqShift® six-speed automatic transmission has been specifically designed and engineered to manage the power flow of the all-new 6.7-liter Power Stroke® V-8 turbocharged diesel engine and the all-new 6.2-liter V-8 gasoline engine for the new Super Duty; each powertrain delivers significantly improved torque and horsepower along with class-leading fuel economy
Thanks for the written backup...rest assured he knew better when I left...he also knew a bunch more facts about the truck

Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by rickatic
Thanks for the written backup...rest assured he knew better when I left...he also knew a bunch more facts about the truck

Old 06-26-2011, 09:33 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Rick - I probably talked to him at least an hour. Also got a price on a bed for my truck.
Did you look at the air ride on the 550?

I think they sold 4-5 truck at the show, including the GM a couple hundred feet from you.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by ruschejj
I also was disappointed when my F250 averaged just under 10mpg while towing my 12K fifth wheel camper. Although, I tend to run 70mph when I get on the open road.

If you read the forum a lot, this will sound like a broken record coming from me, but, airbags are absolutely fabulous. Your towing experience will be improved by a lot and you may even get 1mpg improvement by virtue of being level and more aerodynamically sound.

I also continue to think that the vibration on take off is normal, it's a hard working torque converter and probably some axle wrap and various other things "stretching" under a severe load. I've been wrong many times before though.....
I was just expecting at least the same MPG I got with the GMC - oh well.

As far as bags go - there will be something. I don't like the nose high attitude while towing. I had bags on the GMC to keep it level. Used to run just enough air to keep the bed loaded at 1" lower then the unloaded height. Will probably do the same here.
In fact, I kept the wireless controller and compressor (bags too) from the Sierra just for this purpose.

I am really curious about the R4 kit though. Just waiting to see when it will be available.

Look for my post on the new spring hangers had installed while in Indy..

Old 06-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
Do they have a retro fit box for your/my unit? F350 DRW???

With a KR, I only need the rear box replacement? And any price info?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I looked all the trucks over a couple of times. They do nice work but they were too much $$$ for my blood.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Really great writeup, thanks for posting this!

I have to agree with you about the trailer and knowing it's back there...never had 18K behind my pickup truck, but anything north of 3-4,000 lbs in towed weight was noticeable to me. Not that it was ever a problem or anything...

Old 06-26-2011, 10:16 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

The aluminun hauler bed with a 60 or 90 auto transfer fuel tank, rhino lined, installed on truck, painted to match is close to 20K IIRC.
I'll have to find my estimate to see what was added on the base price.
If you have an interest in something like this your better off ordering it new or starting with a cab/chassis.

The value of my near perfect condition DRW bed is 12-1500.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 AM
jim48
Elder User
9.1-9.5 mpg with 25-30 mph crosswind

12.1-12.5 mpg no wind over 1800 miles at 60 mph,cruise set. Truck and 5th listed below.