Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2011, 06:01 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
My Man Step

These trucks sit so high that reaching stuff over the side of the bed is impossible for most people. I liked the idea of the bed step that you can get on the F150, and I thought about trying to adapt it. But I decided that thing is too complicated for my taste. So I decided to make my own. This gives me just the boost I need to reach stuff in the front of the bed. And if I need to climb into the front of the bed while the fiver is hitched up, I can step over to the tire and then step over the side.

Ground clearance is important to me, so I tucked it up as close to the bed as I could.
Click the image to open in full size.

Put a foot pad on it from McMaster Carr. It is a fork truck pedal pad.

Mounted it to the bed strut, second back from the front. This is the only long strut on my long bed, and it happens to be in just the right location. I don't know what the short bed has. The strut is only about 14ga steel, so there is a backing plate inside the strut to distribute the load.

Here are all the parts for one side. I put one on each side of the truck.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 06-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Posting Guru

Frankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to allFrankenbiker is a name known to all
frankenbiker
Sweet! A lifesaver for those of us who are "vertically challenged."

If Tonka and I were in the same place today, I'd be going outside and taking measurements.

-blaine
Ranch Hand Legend Bumper (stay outta the way!) - Bilstein 5100's (control control control)
Old 06-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Buy American

c125bob has a superb reputationc125bob has a superb reputationc125bob has a superb reputationc125bob has a superb reputationc125bob has a superb reputationc125bob has a superb reputationc125bob has a superb reputationc125bob has a superb reputationc125bob has a superb reputationc125bob has a superb reputationc125bob has a superb reputation
Great idea ! I need to make one of those. Climbing in to fool with the hitch on the camper is a pain sometime. Reps !
4" Exhaust no Muffler, AIS Stage 1 Intake, Trans cooler
Member - Roadside Help Network http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/7pt3/Mods.html
Old 06-25-2011, 08:24 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Sell these kits to Clay!
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 06-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Postmaster

BobbyDiesel71 has a very good reputation on FTE.BobbyDiesel71 has a very good reputation on FTE.BobbyDiesel71 has a very good reputation on FTE.
That is the coolest idea!! Very well designed and fabricated!!!
02 F-350 lariat srw,supercab longbed 4x4 FX4
[I][COLOR=blue]Transgo Tugger II, TRU-COOL 4739, AFE stage II intake, Bully Dog 5" turbo back exhaust
Old 06-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
This is my man step. It's nowhere near as nice as Bill's, but it was a lot less work to fabricate.

Amazon.com: B&R Plastics 101-6 White EZ Foldz Step Stool: Automotive

It also serves to get short people in the passenger seat, and for me to reach the hummingbird feeder on the high eve.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 06-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Elder User

dcf4x4 has a good reputation on FTE.dcf4x4 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm just disgusted by the complete lack of rust...

Nice idea for the step but watch for the metal bending on that cross member.

2000 F350 Lariat, 4x4, 7.3, Crew, 6 spd, dually
(gauges, BD turbo, hpx , FRx, 6 pos. chip, 6637, turbo back 4", 255/85R16, '05 front end)
1990 F350 XLT, 7.3 IDI, 4x4, veggie kit, 33"s
Old 06-25-2011, 10:11 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchamberlain View Post
This is my man step. It's nowhere near as nice as Bill's, but it was a lot less work to fabricate.

Amazon.com: B&R Plastics 101-6 White EZ Foldz Step Stool: Automotive

It also serves to get short people in the passenger seat, and for me to reach the hummingbird feeder on the high eve.
That was my Plan "B", LOL.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
We generally use the tire as a step. Although us youngins move about easier.
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 06-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Freshman User

Buck the Truck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brilliant! Love it!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Senior User

I.B. Washincars is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have the longer "Wheel to wheel" step bars on my short bed which works well for getting into the front of the bed. My truck has a lift gate so I have no rear bumper. I would love to have something like that, but located behind the tire closer to the tail light so I can get in the truck easier when the tail gate is open.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Posting Guru

hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.
I need 2 please, can you let us know when to expect the UPS truck as I won't be home wed. AM.
"I'm Jim and I'm a modaholic"PAA#111 '02 CC lariat, 4x4 6" 37x12.5 70R17 BAJA TA's, JW trans, 7.3, AFE intake, blade runner, AFE 5" exh., GTP38R non-wastegated, Beans stage II, Mahle ceramics, crower rods, 6.0 spearco CAC, Adrenaline HPOP, ceramic manifolds, TS Performance by BDP and yes, it's FAST!;'07 4x4 DRW CC Lariat moonroof & leather, 6", 6.0L PSD, 4" AFE, CAC & high ram, tuning by spartan, '07 Warrior 39 CR. '98 &'99 Expey's, custom rack by Dr. Fam
Old 08-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
I hadn't seen this thread until now. Great mod Bill! Reps sent.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:31 PM
2 bit Californian

bill.pounds.1
Thanks, John. After living with these for a coupla months, including camping trips, they have proven very useful.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 PM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
nice cheap mod...the steps below are a bit pricy, but they are what I'm going to get so I can have somehting similar. I'm 6'3" and even climbing onto the tire it's a bit of a reach at times

99-11 Ford F-250/F-350 Crew Cab-6 Step Short Bed Nerf Steps at Carolina Classic Trucks
Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 PM