Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best matching, Aftermarket- transmission oil cooler for F-250

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best matching, Aftermarket- transmission oil cooler for F-250

I lost my stock cooler and as the thread states Im having a hard time choosing a equal or better replacement. there is a ton to choose from on summit. any insight? I already hunted the bone yards for a good used one ... They dont inventory them but let me hunt they yards to no avail ... ATM I jumped it with a piece of hose but I want to get a new one in before I start working the truck again. She tows and plows ... its got to work well .

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...0Coolers&dds=1

Old 06-25-2011, 03:55 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Heres one I will be installing on my motorhome. Might be abit bigger than what you would need, but try and get this type of cooler, staked plate design. Not the tube/fin design like your looking at.

transmissioncoolers.us: Tru-Cool LPD, thick cooler & standard installation kit

Old 06-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
Heres one I will be installing on my motorhome. Might be abit bigger than what you would need, but try and get this type of cooler, staked plate design. Not the tube/fin design like your looking at.

transmissioncoolers.us: Tru-Cool LPD, thick cooler & standard installation kit

Thanks for the advice. The best one I found on summit was the B&M and if I could get past the price I would have pulled the trigger. That one at 88 is not so bad. I rather over cool then under cool the truck as it does most of its work plowing at slow speeds. I plan a E-Fan upgrade before plow season rolls back around so the air flow it will see will be reduced 40% of the time compared to the stock set up continually pulling air threw it. I may just grab that one.
Thanks again ... Justin

Does anyone know the flow range and or heat rejection range for the stock part ?

John if you come back through this thread .... What you think of this one ? 11x11x3/4
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13504/?rtype=10

Or should I go with the way you guided me :
http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...ool-coolers-hd

Thinking I should be looking in the 22 to 26K range by what that site tells me.

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...ool-coolers-hd

Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For your application, either the first link or the second will be fine.

You don't wanna run it to cool either, but like you said, and I say the same, I'd rather run it abit to cool than abit to hot...

There is one (rated for 40k though) witch is way overkill for a plow truck, but it has a thermal by-pass valve, witch means it lets the tranny warm up to a certain temp* before cooling it.

For a winter plow truck, I'd defenently get one with a thermal by-pass.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Well Im not to sure now. The fords part is 10.5 X 7.5 X 2 and its a well built staked plate design. Reading similar units (none come close to 2" thick) we are talking 44K+ GVW

Old 06-27-2011, 01:00 AM
cj06
Posting Guru
my opinion is the bigger the better , i am in AZ so it is extra hot in the summer ! also my opinion is to put a external filter on at the same time !

Old 06-27-2011, 01:12 AM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Originally Posted by cj06
my opinion is the bigger the better , i am in AZ so it is extra hot in the summer ! also my opinion is to put a external filter on at the same time !
Im with you there.... the area of the stock part is 157.5. I have been wearing out the calculator since that last post. I can find under that area or way over. at 190's. I think im going with the same cooler as John is putting on his camper.Ill add a external bypass not to over cool as I am in MA and it gets into the negative numbers here while Ill be running that truck. I'm happy I started this thread to get my head going. I almost went with a tube and fin before even researching. Id hate to say it but whoever ford used they picked it right.... That stock part is beefee and I'm just not seeing the quality it has in the aftermarket. I'm thinking about looking up the patent numbers on that part. Its out of Canada.. See if I can get a manufacture name

I so miss being able to pull parts myself in the bone yards. Only one in this area I can get past the gates and its my buddys yard, still closed to the public due to morons pulling parts with vice grips and a hammer. Just my luck only truck that had one was all front end damage.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Update- After a night of research I am going with a new ford part. Its superior to all the aftermarket coolers I can find that are not priced higher then it out of Ford. (133.00) It has a area of 157.5 and to get at least that or better Im into 160' in the aftermarket with the bypass and all. Plus its bolt's in a bracket and NO ZIP TIES. Gawd I hate them things ...

John thanks for all your time! Now to call my ford buddy to see what his price is. Im sure I can get this for under 100...