1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Package -NAV System shortfalls

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 AM
karl21
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a 2011 F-350 King Ranch, and while I think it's Fords best to date, There's still room for improvement. I applaude Ford for the integrated brake controller, and the option to add a towing package such as a 5th wheel hitch. However, at the time of purchase, Ford didn't offer this complete package to the short bed truck, what I ultimately settled on. Dispite this, I think it a well rounded vehicle.

There are several things Ford need to do to make their venture complete in the towing world (commercial or RV), but the one that stands out the most as an incomplete in their suite of tools is the Navigation system. While it works well for any leasure travel, when I'm pulling our 15,000lb, 36ft 5th wheel, the system doesn't know I'm pulling an additional 36 feet behind me and selects roads that are not necessairly condusive to large vehicle travel.

The market offers 3rd party NAV systems that take this into account, I think Ford needs to take a page from them, and allow the user to plug in the length width, height, and weight based on the trailer being towed, and have the NAV system calculate the route based on those inputs. Once you've blocked traffic because you can't go forward, or had to back out of a situation, you begin to understand the need to find a better NAV system.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, as I see Ford Super Duties being used as car haulers, and I believe there are more Super Duties hauling RVs than any other tow vehicle. Ford needs to take a serious look adapting their NAV system to allow bettewr route selection when hauling large trailers.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:36 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Some of the GPS Nav companies are starting to make truck and RV navigation software add-ons available. I know Magellan is. But this is pretty recent. I think Ford could make an advertising point if they added something like this to theirs.

But, in the long run it is still the responsibility of the driver to be smarter than the GPS. There are just too many stories of people following the GPS into places where it was very obvious they shouldn't go, and then turning around and blaming the GPS, instead of their lack of good sense.

We've had a few cases here of people following their GPS up forest service roads in the winter time and getting stuck in the snow in the middle of nowhere. When you're driving down the road, and pretty soon it's not plowed, there are no road signs (except those forest service road numbers), no guard rails, no nothing, pretty soon you got to realize you're in the wrong place.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:52 AM
karl21
New User

We've been traveling for the past 15 years, and make it a point to keep a road atlas open and on course. I also agree that some will follow the NAV system over a cliff. We use both to try and avoid any unforseen situations, but the map and the Nav (unless designed for truck routes), don't always provide the information you need to avoid low overhangs and other tight positions. There are aftermarket NAV systems that do the job, but I would like to see Ford offer an improved NAV system as part of the towing package. Afterall when most people purchase a Super Duty, they are probably looking to tow some type of trailer

Old 06-25-2011, 12:28 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
I agree completely. It wouldn't be that hard for Ford to do and it would be an excellent advertising point. Someone ought to suggest it to them. It could be standard, or it could be an additional option for a small charge.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:10 PM
FMC
Junior User
This is too funny as a commercial mariner we have all the nav goodies,2 radar thats gyro stabalized so north is always up at the top of the screen as is ALL maps,charts.But radar cant see around corners.we also have AIS used originally by airlines,plus ECDIS which is a 4500.00 $$$$ nav program which we can put routes etc.I have caught mates solely using the ECDIS and yes its a aid to navigation but thats it.Whats wrong with looking out the window.ive seen boaters looking down at a screen and be caught off guard when they spot us 2 floors higher than they are..................Paul

Old 06-25-2011, 10:56 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Have to agree, that would be a great feature. And very appropriate for a truck. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

I would chalk this up to one more reason to not purchase the overpriced factory NAV system.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 AM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
GPS was never made to replace good old common sense which doesn't seem to be that common any more. Really, people driving into swamps and the like. What were u thinking or better yet where were u looking.

My IPad has the CoPilot application which has the option for Truck and RV Routes.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasn't aware that Ford wrote navigation software. Best thing to do is look at who created the navigation software on the stereo that Ford uses and contact them with the suggestion.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 AM
stubbie
New User
Write Ford and let them know. If people don't let them know, they might never think of it. Just a thought.