1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led clearance lamps

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 02:57 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Led clearance lamps

I've had a search but can't find the answer, I want to replace my factory clearance lights with led type, all the ones I've found are for trucks without factory fitted lights, I've already changed the bulbs but I'm not impressed with the quality of the bulbs, 2 are flickering within a year. Any suggestions or links?

Old 10-07-2017, 04:03 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob
I've had a search but can't find the answer, I want to replace my factory clearance lights with led type, all the ones I've found are for trucks without factory fitted lights, I've already changed the bulbs but I'm not impressed with the quality of the bulbs, 2 are flickering within a year. Any suggestions or links?
Your talking about your trucks cab clearance lights mounted on the roof correct?

A lot of folks have used https://www.superbrightleds.com

If you phone or email they your trucks specs and what your are looking to achieve with an LED bulb they will help you find something that will work for your truck. Hope that helps

Old 10-07-2017, 04:57 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Yes that's correct, thanks for the link, I am hoping to find a direct replacement for the complete lamp units.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:21 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Yes that's correct, thanks for the link, I am hoping to find a direct replacement for the complete lamp units.
Your welcome, after all we are all here to share the love of Ford and help our fellow Ford owners. I am sure some of the other guys who have used LED's in their cab clearance lights will chime in as well to offer you some suggestions too.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:32 PM
FractureCritical
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
atomic LED makes a kit with the housings and lenses in pretty much any color you want, and as a bonus, they strobe for construction/emergency/plow work. Little pricey by eBay standards, but cheap by dealer standards.
Atomic Factory Roof/Cab Lights for Dodge, Ford and GM/Chevy - StrobesNMore.com

Old 10-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for, a little pricier than I expected but I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" Only yesterday my good lady asked me what I wanted for Christmas, now I have the answer!

Old 10-07-2017, 01:36 PM
ligito
Posting Guru
Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for, a little pricier than I expected but I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" Only yesterday my good lady asked me what I wanted for Christmas, now I have the answer!
"you get what you pay for" sounds good but is not always correct.

The exact same item may range from cheap, to horribly overpriced, depending on where you find it.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ligito
"you get what you pay for" sounds good but is not always correct.

The exact same item may range from cheap, to horribly overpriced, depending on where you find it.
This is also true, I tend to search for an item elsewhere, once I've found what I want, in this case the link provided seems to be the best price for the same lights, just need to find some reviews now.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Those atomic factory jobs are expensive - I guess they don't make a set without the bells and whistles - my clearance lights have this haze look to them, the atomic factory jobs seem to fit the bill but don't need or want any flashing stuff, just a nice bright amber light with a glossy lens

Old 10-08-2017, 08:46 AM
FractureCritical
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chuck-B
Those atomic factory jobs are expensive - I guess they don't make a set without the bells and whistles - my clearance lights have this haze look to them, the atomic factory jobs seem to fit the bill but don't need or want any flashing stuff, just a nice bright amber light with a glossy lens
i hear you, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to pull over to the side of the road for my own issues or to help someone change a tire or for work and wished I had them.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Well thank you Fracturecritical, I have now ordered a set of Atomic roof lights, I don't really need the strobes but I just know that they will come in handy at sometime. That's what I love about FTE, there's always someone who can help you spend money!

Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
That's what I love about FTE, there's always someone who can help you spend money!
I cannot begin to tell you how much money this place has cost me. I love it though!!

Because of this thread I decided it was time for me to do something with the UV faded lenses on my clearance lights, while I was at it I decided might as well go with a bulb upgrade as well. I went with the OEM replacement lenses and these LEDs: HIGH VISIBILITY AMBER HIGH OUTPUT 360° 26 LED 194 - 194 - Shop Bulb Number.

These things are a bit longer than the stock 194 bulbs. They are a tad bit shorter than 3cm. I cut a q-tip 3cm long, took the OEM lens off, removed the bulb and stuck the 3cm q-tip in the socket and put the lens back on. There was a bit more room so it looks like they'll fit.

I also looked at Recon 264142AM lenses but wasn't sure what the clearance was so went OEM.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Update time, just got my atomic cab lights fitted, they seem like good quality, the fit is good but not perfect as the base is flat rather than slightly concave as the factory lamps are. The gasket does accommodate this just. The wires have to be reversed on earlier trucks which is noted in the installation instructions. The factory male connectors need to be filed a little on the sides in order to get them to fit as the female connection on the new lamps is slightly different.
They look great though, time will tell if they live up to the expectation!

Old 02-16-2018, 01:37 PM
LoudMic
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update time, just got my atomic cab lights fitted, they seem like good quality, the fit is good but not perfect as the base is flat rather than slightly concave as the factory lamps are. The gasket does accommodate this just. The wires have to be reversed on earlier trucks which is noted in the installation instructions. The factory male connectors need to be filed a little on the sides in order to get them to fit as the female connection on the new lamps is slightly different.
They look great though, time will tell if they live up to the expectation!
Those look really cool!
I like how low key they are when they're off but get so bright when on.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:59 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by LoudMic
Those look really cool!
I like how low key they are when they're off but get so bright when on.
I'll try to post a video of the strobes tomorrow, once I've finished the wiring.