Sponsored by:

finally ordered a redhead steering box

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:58 PM
offroad_x
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finally ordered a redhead steering box

I just ordered a replacement steering box for my 01 4x4 Ex from Red Head. My existing one is very sloppy, and I have been tightening it for years. It just gets loose again in a month of driving. I am hoping this solves the problem.

One thing that worries me is that when I had the steering box replaced with a Ford rebuilt in 2006, two different shops tried 5 different steering boxes before they found one that fit and would work (the first shop couldn't get it to work, and had it towed to a second shop, which finally fixed it). They used boxes from various shops, and finally put a Ford rebuilt unit in that worked. They told me the box was for a 2000 ford excursion, not a 2001. The problems they encountered were 1) box holes did not line up to frame, and 2) if they did line up, the box turned more one way then another.

Once they got the 2000 box in, the pitman arm did not fit (went on, but was too much in one direction). They ordered a new one from two different sources, and they both didn't fit such that the steering was centered. They finally sent it to a machine shop to have new notches put in, and everything went together.

The truck was in the shop for over a month while this went on.

The man I talked to at Red Head said the boxes are all the same for 2000 and 2001, so it wouldn't matter. Hmmm?

So, has anyone else had this experience? I have searched the forums and not found anything like it. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:33 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, your scaring me!! This is something I was going to order next week.
Can you please post again after your install.
I did not know this could be such a nightmare.
Thanks in advance,
Michael

Old 06-24-2011, 06:07 PM
offroad_x
Junior User
I will post an update once I get the new steering box, and once I get it installed. There have been lots of people on this forum and others that have done the install themselves, and I have never seen any issues like mine raised before. I am just wondering if the box needs to be centered or something? I would think these mechanics would know....

Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 PM
offroad_x
Junior User
So...I am guessing that no one else has had this trouble, eh? That's good news.

The new steering box is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Fast shipping!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:48 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribing

like to know how this turns out.......lots of red heads been installed with great results. Wish I had one also.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 AM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
It sounds to me like the boxes you previously had were poorly rebuilt with no thought to the alignment of the pitman arm shaft. Don't imagine you'll have the same issue with RedHead...

Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
ppo2
Senior User
Please keep us posted; I too am in the market for a red head steering box. I've heard nothing but good reviews on them. I've just about maxed out my steering box adjustment. To those that had mechanics install them, any ideas how much time involved?

This is probably one of those I'd have to take to my trusted mechanic.

Drive Safe,

Dan

Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 PM
offroad_x
Junior User
Here is an update. My mechanic had no trouble installing the redhead box. It went right in. It was a 36 spline, just like the old one, and was properly aligned. No issues at all.

He charged me 3 hours labor, because it was such a tight work space. It was difficult to work on (turbo pipes in the way).

I've only driven it a little, but what a difference. It's smooth as silk to turn, with no binding at all. I can turn the wheel in the parking lot with one finger. I've never been able to do that before. The steering feels really light now. I didn't expect that.

There is now no play in the steering at all. It drives like a new truck. On the highway, I can drive with one hand. Very nice. I've only driven it a few miles on the highway so far, so I'll have to try it some more to really get a feel for it.

Although the X is a lot more controllable, it did not eliminate the wander. This and the RAS have made it better, but the thing still doesn't track completely straight. It seems like it wants to go left or right, for no apparent reason. But, it is subtle. Everything has been replaced and rebuilt now. Next I will try a rear anti-sway bar, and then dual steering stabilizers. I think the steering stabilizer is shot, as it was leaking fluid a few months ago.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 AM
EddieEX10
Senior User
Glad to hear that it went in without issue.I have one of these gear boxes on my wishlist. Thanks for the update!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great to hear, after your feedback I have decided not to get one.

I don't have any binding or any issues with mine, I had already tightened up about a full turn.

I was mainly looking to get rid of the little wander I have left after all else has been done.

Thanks for posting your oppinion.

Michael

Old 07-04-2011, 04:34 AM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Put adjustable camber/caster shims up front and have them adjusted to the max caster you can get... the caster on these trucks is like a shopping cart. It will make a big difference on the tracking ability on the highway.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 PM
jspringator
Senior User
I found

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...+50028+2028089

this From another link.

How many of these do I need? One, or one for each wheel?

Old 07-14-2011, 04:16 AM
jay28660
Junior User
If you dont mind me asking...What did the steering box from redhead run you?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:10 PM
fred5977
New User
I priced one a couple months ago, I believe it was in the mid-$300s. I've been trying to cure my white-knuckle towing experience also. Steering box has been tightened, just had the draglink on the pitman arm replaced, installed RAS, etc. The only thing left really is the box. I can't install the Hellwig because I have an aftermarket vegetable oil fuel system with components in the way of the sway bar. Guess I'll have to pull the trigger on the Red Head. I've been searching the forum for a tutorial on the replacement. Anyone seen one? Or is it just too involved to tackle?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by fred5977
I've been searching the forum for a tutorial on the replacement. Anyone seen one? Or is it just too involved to tackle?
I know I've seen one that was really good with pictures. It may have been on the F250 forum. Maybe search in the Super Duty/Heavy Duty section instead of just the Excursion forum.

The job did not look too hard at all. Don't even need to really move much to get to it, supposedly.

Quick Reply: finally ordered a redhead steering box