6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Changed fuel filters and now wont start :/.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:40 AM
MonsterLugz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Changed fuel filters and now wont start :/.

So i changed my fuel filters on my 2005 today using motocraft filters ..I drained plug then took out old filter .. lubed new o ring with oil ... put new filter into cap and installed.

Went to upper and changed that out also lubed new o ring and installed. Primed pump KOEO 3 times for 30 seconds each time... cranked over truck and it ran great for about 10 seconds then started to run rough and died...

SO I took out filters made sure o rings were still in good shape and they were.

I checked upper filter to see if it was getting fuel and it is not getting fuel at this time.

This is where I'm at for the moment and extremely frustrated. I did not remove fuel from upper filter when i changed it.. also I do not see any oil pressure when I turn the key.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

BTW I can hear the fuel pump working when I KOEO.

Thanks again.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Look at your cap on the lower filter. Make sure it is all the way in with the ridge above the oring at the pump housing. Also, u may try putting the filter in the housing first and then putting cap on. Motorcraft changed the part # and we have seen some issues with it putting it in the cap and then installing with the newer part #. I think the old # was 4604 and the new one is 4616 or vice versa

I had a boy at work stop when it got snug but not all the way seated on an 05 and it did the same thing. If the cap is all the way down, check the oring on the plug u drained. It sounds like you are sucking air causing it not to reprime itself.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:00 AM
MonsterLugz
New User
Fillter cap is tight and plug o ring is good. Will the pump prime the system if the batteries are getting low? I have tried to turn it over bout 15 to 20 times I know the batteries must be losing power? I can here a gurgaling sound when top filter cap is off but no fuel comes up to bowl.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:47 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vapor lock.

Unless you have a bad / squished / improperly installed filter (big one).

Charge batteries and then retry.

Disconnect fuel heater.

See my note on vapor lock in fuel system.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:21 AM
MonsterLugz
New User
Where is the fuel heater located and how is it unplugged?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:46 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep on cranking..im sure there is just air.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much fuel do you have in the tank. I have read about problems with the fuel pump priming if the tank is below 1/4.

Beyond that, there are really only two possibilities. One is that there is a leak in the o-ring seal around the fuel filter cap, or a leak in the seal of the water separator plug. The fuel pump draws fuel through both of those, creating a vacuum there. If there were a leak, enough air could be drawn in to prevent fuel from being pushed up to the upper fuel bowl. It would have to be a pretty significant leak, I would think, to keep the upper fuel bowl from filling at all with it's cap removed. I think you'd see bubbles there with the pump running also.

The last possibility is that the fuel pump just coincidentally decided to go belly up right about now. It's a lot of coincidence but it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

As an aside, I wouldn't be too concerned about vapor lock. First of all, diesel fuel's vapor point is well over 300 degrees. And second, the fuel pump is designed to be self priming. When you drain the water separator and change the fuel filter, the pump is left sitting in air. It has to have the ability to draw fuel in from the tank and push the air back out through the return line. In the highly unlikely event that fuel vapor developed in the pump, it'd be pushed out just like the air would.

P.S. If you really want to disconnect the fuel heater, it won't hurt anything. It's the wires with the brown plug on the fuel filter, separator, pump module.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:12 PM
MonsterLugz
New User
Thanks for all of the replys really apperciate it. What size is the o ring on the drian plug so I can replace it? Also, when u remove the top filter cap do u remove the filter to seee if the bowl fills up and do u press down that nipple in the housing?

Old 06-24-2011, 01:21 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Remove the secondary fuel filter cap and filter (inside engine compartment). Cycle the key from OFF to RUN. Fuel should rise up inside the housing within SECONDS and overflow (not struggle to rise and then decrease when the pump stops). If it doesn't, either the primary filter (the one inside the HFCM) wasn't installed properly, or the HFCM needs to be replaced.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:47 PM
27ModelT
New User
I can't believe it but just today I took my 2004 F-350 6.0 in to the dealer to have the oil changed as well as both fuel filters on a regular service
as I have since I bought the truck new. The truck started fine at the dealer and I drove away and everything seemed normal....until....I stopped at Costco parked and went in the store for about an hour.
When I went to start the truck to leave, it would not start as it always
has. I had to crank the engine for a long time before it would start. You know like about 30 seconds or so (didn't start right away like it has always since new). Now that I am home and the truck is sitting on the concrete driveway, I see fuel dripping out of the lower filter housing.

Would this be an improper installed filter/gasket?? I live an hour from dealer and the shop is closed already. Any suggestions appreciated?? Thanks!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully it's just a loose filter cap. Try tightening it.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Crawl under it and see where the fuel is coming from. If it's coming from the fuel filter cap, the o-ring probably split or broke when they installed the cap. If it's coming from the drain plug then it's o-ring is bad. The only thing you can do is replace the bad o-ring.

It's probably not best to drive it in this state. For one, you've got diesel fuel dripping around and that can be a fire hazard. And you're sucking air into the fuel system and through your injectors, which isn't very good for them.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 27ModelT
I can't believe it but just today I took my 2004 F-350 6.0 in to the dealer to have the oil changed as well as both fuel filters on a regular service
as I have since I bought the truck new. The truck started fine at the dealer and I drove away and everything seemed normal....until....I stopped at Costco parked and went in the store for about an hour.
When I went to start the truck to leave, it would not start as it always
has. I had to crank the engine for a long time before it would start. You know like about 30 seconds or so (didn't start right away like it has always since new). Now that I am home and the truck is sitting on the concrete driveway, I see fuel dripping out of the lower filter housing.

Would this be an improper installed filter/gasket?? I live an hour from dealer and the shop is closed already. Any suggestions appreciated?? Thanks!
well I think your right on
pinched oring or incorrectly instaled filter
sounds like the fuel leaked out of the system causing your looong crank
probably a pinched oring or crossthreaded HFCM cap
also check the water separater drain on the HFCM make shure its not leaking from there

good call DC dont damage the injectors if its leaking your fuel pressure is down

Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 PM
27ModelT
New User
Just went out and checked the fuel filter and the filter cap is tight but there is still diesel by the cap. It is not running out but over the hour parked on the concrete there
is circle of about 2 to 3 inches on the ground. I suspect it is a split o-ring or something?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:38 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 27ModelT
Just went out and checked the fuel filter and the filter cap is tight but there is still diesel by the cap. It is not running out but over the hour parked on the concrete there
is circle of about 2 to 3 inches on the ground. I suspect it is a split o-ring or something?
probably just pinched the oring

I always lube the orings with oil before instal of the cap

Quick Reply: Changed fuel filters and now wont start :/.