Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Re-installing old IP

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it's the injectors. One of them at least. I get the exact same shake and chug with my old IP installed. I was hoping it wasn't the injectors because now I have to take EVERYTHING out again! I am really sick of pulling and installing injector pumps! I don't know if I should just install the old injectors or see what a local diesel shop is asking for a set of remans. I know Pensicola Diesel has them cheap but I want this truck running NOW, not later. I have to transport some servers next week for work and they sure as hell won't fit into a car I can barely fit into! And to put the icing on the cake, it will be up to 100F tomorrow, as usual. Kill me now.

Unfortunately one of my new injector heads is cross-threaded. I thought I had it threaded straight but by the time I noticed it was being pulled by the line and cross threading, it was too late. I spent half an hour trying to get it to thread on straight again but I finally said F it and I just cranked it down until it didn't leak. That injector and line are most likely trash now.

Why is it that when 100 other people can get something done without a hitch, and have great results, I can't seem to get any of it right?

Do I need to install new copper washers on my old injectors or can I get by with half-assing it for now? I really miss having a working truck instead of a pile of immobile steel.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
I tried reusing a washer and it didn't work at all, just get the bad injector fixed, however you can run it that way it will only hurt milage and power, not the motor.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:29 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 84-6.9L
I tried reusing a washer and it didn't work at all, just get the bad injector fixed, however you can run it that way it will only hurt milage and power, not the motor.

Good to know. Thanks. I was really concerned about damaging something. I'll play around with the injectors tomorrow and see which one makes less of a chug or shake when loosened. Last time I checked them, each one made the truck run worse when loosened, so it was really hard to tell.

On a lighter note, when I revved the engine to 3K a few minutes after initial start up, I set off a neighbor's car alarm across the parking lot. I just can't but feel accomplished in that sense, today. I have to find my neighbor and give him $10 to get his truck washed because he parks on my passenger side and the rear of his truck and wheel is covered in soot. Most of it came from the rain storm when there was water in my exhaust tip.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Sounds like you have to put a turn down on your exhaust, and feel the injector lines you may be able to feel the knock by touching the lines.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
So, from 8:30AM-12:00PM I get my old injectors installed again. I still have issues and here is why: my number 8 injector was cross threaded badly by the PO and as a result, I couldn't get the line tight enough and it leaked a pool of fuel into the glow plug area.

Because of the serious cross thread of number 8, the tip of the line has a gouge in it and even though it is tight and not cross threaded, the line leaks at the injector. I had a puddle of diesel fuel under the truck. So, I had two injectors that were non-functional.

I installed the old number 8 injector in the front of the truck expecting to have to swap it out and I did. I installed one of the new injectors in its place and since I didn't have any crush washers left, I tightened it down to 40 Ft/Lbs hoping that would make a seal. I cracked the line on it and the truck ran worse, so I know it is working to some degree.

Now I have to find a new number 8 injector line. I will see if I can find a junk yard close by. I'll get a few other things as well.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:35 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
if no luck at your local salvage yard:
83-94 Injector line cyl #8 DIPDE8TZ9A555H $46.38
7.3 L Ford Diesel Fuel Injectors Fuel Pumps Accessories

over tightening things to try and make something not leak,is always a bad idea really.be careful.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:32 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
None of the local yards I can find even have a diesel of any kind.

$46.38!!!! Talk about grabbing your ankles!

Maybe someone here has one they can sell me and ship it quickly?

The PO screwed this line up, not me. I don't know how it got it not to leak but I guess he just cranked down on it.

Edit:
These are a hair cheaper.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...nder+8&_sacat=

Old 06-25-2011, 02:25 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
I took some pictures that I will post later. I am going to file down the ridge that was made and see if that gets me up and running.

I'm tired of this truck being Mary Bobbins!

Old 06-25-2011, 02:31 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i know how ya feel man.
have you seen my maintenance records?
(scroll way down.)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/g...F250HDXLT.html

this is why i waited so long to get into a HD diesel truck.
so much more than driving a f150 around.but man,they can do sooooo much more work at once.they're worth it.id never drive one around as a DD though not making $ all the time.id be broke.......scratch that......well in debt lol.
man i struggled for years making due with an f150 and hauling much,much lighter loads.burning more fuel really,but i knew it was gunna take a lot of $ to make something i could afford to buy outright into a reliable work truck and make look half way decent so i look professional to those whom i work for ya know.
still need fenders and a paint job.
it's always something Eaton.always will be too.maintenance and repairs are required for them all.look into the newer diesel sections.holy crap man,some of them diesel repair bills and the down time!!! just can't happen.no way.a day without a truck is money $ down and jobs lost.some of them downtime reports for the newer diesel trucks are just totally unacceptable.
we really do have it good with the idi trucks.but man,you just gotta fix/repair/upgrade before anything happens thats all.
so far not one break down besides a bad batch of fuel this last winter.water in the fuel froze up my filter.
now i know to keep a bottle of DK 911 in the box to solve that in just a couple mins.

wanna be cheered up?
it doesn't take much looking around.
for example look at this guy.he just payed (or likely is making payments of course) what? 45-50 maybe as much as 60k as some of them 2011's cost and look what happened to him:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-stranded.html

that's not all either:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-trouble.html

they all break.even brand spanking new.so don't feel too bad.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:35 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Don't get me wrong, I love my truck and I am not getting rid of her any time soon. I am doing 20 years of maintenance to get this old gal back into shape so I can make my 4000 mile trip and not be **** up in BF Egypt. I'm sure she'll make it, she just wants A LOT of attention first. I have done a ton of work on this truck so far but the IP and injectors are the only thing giving me trouble.

There are still several things I want to service or replace before the trip and I will do so once I get this mess sorted out.

Filing down the injector line didn't help any. Number 8 is still FUBAR. I ran the truck until it got up to temperature to help charge the batteries and the puddle of diesel is about as large as the front of the truck. It is leaking pretty badly and the worse part is that fuel is contacting the exhaust system and that means that the potential for ignition is there. I don't want a fire.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:42 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

wow eaton one helloof a story i tell ya good luck man