1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

too the soap box

Old 06-22-2011, 09:02 PM
low54
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too the soap box

hey FTE'ers...
so just got back from a real cool Wednesday night drive in cruz/walk thru. I saw a buddy of mine who has a beautiful 56 BIGW...he's had it since he was 18...he's well into 70 now...he runs a 351Clv olderMii...like I said awesome truck...he also got me into model building again...so, as I was talking to him, I asked him if he had a line on some older parts for my '54, specifically a rear bumper, didn't even need to be in good repair: and while I'm talkin, this dude parked next to my friend w/ a 48 c,$&y delux say's..."OH!!!! you'll never find something like that, not for those 56's...their parts just cost way too much...I mean, you won't find anything reasonable". I was speachless, couldn't muster anything for a good 30 sec...I kept looking at my buddies 56...and this guy, then his frumpy delux...then reason came to me and I said..."friend, you can mix -n-match most of the ford truck parts between 53-56, except the cab stuff, as for the rear bumper...you can use 48 to 72...so dude, your incorrect...56 is not exclusive...although its the coolest...too some...he said...you've got alot to learn...I sighed...only cause i had my daughter with me...

Here's the soap...so, i've got a '54, ya most of u have seen pic's...yeap! still not runnin...but i'll be dambed if i turn out like some of these dude's with finished cars...heck...where's the coolness in telling a young builder he's not a clue with what he's on too...well, there you go...me and my soap box...I'm ready to start another 10Pg thred...cause...we all love what we do, and some of us know what the F%*) we're yapping about...

sideline: to my bad cruzin...as I was leavin, i saw a 48Forddelux...Dude did a real nice job...then I looked under the hood just salivating for a Flatty...F&*^er...a 327....REALLY...Soap Box OUT!...Sorry Mod's...just pevve'd

Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I've learned a lot along the way in life. Where I've learned it, is where I send everyone. Hopefully they learn the same or similar themselves. It's often down the avenue of experience.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Yep, opinions are like *******s....everybody's got one. There is always someone who is an "expert" on everything. Some are genuinely trying to help, some are blowing smoke. I love to ask them technical questions to see if they really know what they are talking about....if they can't answer, well....
The older I get, the less patience I have for "know it all's".......

On the other side of the coin, I probably come across the same way....

Edit; I see the site censored my curse word, didn't know it did that.....

Last edited by tinman52; 06-22-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: LOL
Old 06-22-2011, 10:54 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
I pulled in to a gas station last week and this guy had a nice trifive belair so I complimented him on it and I asked the normal question.
"nice car"
-thanks
is it original?
_mumbles and walks away.
I was so pissed off I had really bad wishes for his stupid chebbi.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:59 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to correct you 51-52 had different style bumpers.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM
low54
Elder User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Just to correct you 51-52 had different style bumpers.
your right, I was thinking since the brackets were the same...but not bumpers...

Old 06-23-2011, 11:34 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have always had bad thoughts for the guys who show off a really cool car or truck, but when you quiz them a little, their build story is really how they moved the vehicle between shops to have everything done....Don't get me wrong...it is OK to farm some things out, but you have to do at least something!!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by old_dan
I have always had bad thoughts for the guys who show off a really cool car or truck, but when you quiz them a little, their build story is really how they moved the vehicle between shops to have everything done....Don't get me wrong...it is OK to farm some things out, but you have to do at least something!!
And then, they proceed to tell how wrong this or that is because someone told them that to get their money.

I get a little sinical too.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 PM
low54
Elder User
I'm just bummed that the question and answer: meaning answer is always, "look newbe, my ride is complete, don't bother me with your questions...cause...uh?...your buggin me, let me sit in my chair and socialize w/ all the other dudes w/ finished cars...I always get that vib...does it look like I am a newbe??? just cause I don't havea 10,000 $ paint job:
when I first brought it home:

after tearing it down:

as it sits now:

yeah, so what does this guy KNOW...

Old 06-23-2011, 06:07 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by low54

yeah, so what does this guy KNOW...
I don't want to judge a book by its cover....but I'll bet he knows where the hood latch is...

Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,344 Likes on 1,104 Posts
Originally Posted by low54
hey FTE'ers...
so just got back from a real cool Wednesday night drive in cruz/walk thru. I saw a buddy of mine who has a beautiful 56 BIGW...he's had it since he was 18...he's well into 70 now...he runs a 351Clv olderMii...like I said awesome truck...he also got me into model building again...so, as I was talking to him, I asked him if he had a line on some older parts for my '54, specifically a rear bumper, didn't even need to be in good repair: and while I'm talkin, this dude parked next to my friend w/ a 48 c,$&y delux say's..."OH!!!! you'll never find something like that, not for those 56's...their parts just cost way too much...I mean, you won't find anything reasonable". I was speachless, couldn't muster anything for a good 30 sec...I kept looking at my buddies 56...and this guy, then his frumpy delux...then reason came to me and I said..."friend, you can mix -n-match most of the ford truck parts between 53-56, except the cab stuff, as for the rear bumper...you can use 48 to 72...so dude, your incorrect...56 is not exclusive...although its the coolest...too some...he said...you've got alot to learn...I sighed...only cause i had my daughter with me...

Here's the soap...so, i've got a '54, ya most of u have seen pic's...yeap! still not runnin...but i'll be dambed if i turn out like some of these dude's with finished cars...heck...where's the coolness in telling a young builder he's not a clue with what he's on too...well, there you go...me and my soap box...I'm ready to start another 10Pg thred...cause...we all love what we do, and some of us know what the F%*) we're yapping about...

sideline: to my bad cruzin...as I was leavin, i saw a 48Forddelux...Dude did a real nice job...then I looked under the hood just salivating for a Flatty...F&*^er...a 327....REALLY...Soap Box OUT!...Sorry Mod's...just pevve'd
I feel the same way but to each their own.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
Hey Low54,
Where did you get your rims I'm thinking of going that way and ditching the Torq thrust.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:07 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by old_dan
I don't want to judge a book by its cover....but I'll bet he knows where the hood latch is...
For all we know he may have built that car himself, I wouldn't make assumptions. It's just as wrong to lump all people with pretty, finished cars into a group as to lump all ratrods into another.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:37 AM
KidShalene
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
For all we know he may have built that car himself, I wouldn't make assumptions. It's just as wrong to lump all people with pretty, finished cars into a group as to lump all ratrods into another.
I was always told:

When You Assume, You Make An “A$$” out of “U” and “Me”

As for the Know-it-all's another old saying comes to mind:

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Old 06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Hence....the "don't judge a book by its cover" thought. I'll give any guy the benefit of the doubt....especially someone who has always wanted a 427 powered Cobra!!

Search this Thread