1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

too the soap box

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
hey, everybody has their place in the broader scheme of things. goldchainers keep the rod shops afloat and put most of the vehicles on the cover of mags. the key here is ego, pride, self perception. the good ol golden rule. "he who has the gold rules?" NO. the other one. Treat everybody the way you wanna be treated. I respect the guy that suffers my interrogation at the cruise in who says, "look kid, I bought it. I really dunno." he's honest. that's worth more to me than builder's knowledge.
JML

Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
but agreed.
I got no use for a discouraging word.
JML

Old 06-24-2011, 12:23 PM
low54
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaye
Hey Low54,
Where did you get your rims I'm thinking of going that way and ditching the Torq thrust.
I got my rear rims from wheel vintiquies...the fronts are the original 6 1/2" a bit narrow, but they we're free...

Old 06-24-2011, 01:06 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by low54
I'm just bummed that the question and answer: meaning answer is always, "look newbe, my ride is complete, don't bother me with your questions...cause...uh?...your buggin me, let me sit in my chair and socialize w/ all the other dudes w/ finished cars...I always get that vib...does it look like I am a newbe??? just cause I don't havea 10,000 $ paint job:
when I first brought it home:

after tearing it down:

as it sits now:

yeah, so what does this guy KNOW...
It looks to me like he knows how to write big fat checks!! Unless that's a kit that he assembled in his garage.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:49 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
If he were a goldchainer, he'd have his trophy wife in the seat next to him!

Hate me if you want, but used kit cars like that are a bargain, I wouldn't start from scratch if I wanted one. There's still plenty to be done on any of them!

The joke on the 944 forum is, "how much does a $1200 944 cost?" Ans.: About $6k. But you can buy a really nice, well-maintained one for $4500 and be driving it the same day. It's cheaper to buy "up" on almost any specialty car. Personally, I've never done that, I'm a sucker for a bargain "as-is" car. I keep telling myself, "Next time...."

Old 06-24-2011, 03:13 PM
KidShalene
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
If he were a goldchainer, he'd have his trophy wife in the seat next to him!

Hate me if you want, but used kit cars like that are a bargain, I wouldn't start from scratch if I wanted one. There's still plenty to be done on any of them!

The joke on the 944 forum is, "how much does a $1200 944 cost?" Ans.: About $6k. But you can buy a really nice, well-maintained one for $4500 and be driving it the same day. It's cheaper to buy "up" on almost any specialty car. Personally, I've never done that, I'm a sucker for a bargain "as-is" car. I keep telling myself, "Next time...."
Funny thing, this very opinion was expressed to me 2 days ago while I was parts shopping to
spend money on my truck at a local rod shop. The guy behind the counter wanted to sell me
his 55 claiming I could get into it for a fraction of the cost of my build and be enjoying it right away.
Felt like taking my money and walking out the door and would have if there were another rod shop anywhere close.

The fun of building and having a truck has always been as much about just that, the fun of the 'Build' as it is
about 'having' the truck or especially having it now.

My opinion, the US and the world is in the shape it's in beacuse of the need for instant gratification,
guess I'm different because I feel the pride of accomplishment and ownership of something I mostly built is more important than having it now.

But like one of the previous posters said, opinions are like a-holes....well that's mine, call me one if you want..

Old 06-24-2011, 04:03 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My hard drive just got killed by a virus but if I'm fortunate enough to get my word docs back I will post a newsletter article I wrote about "know-it-all" guys and posers at shows. (It received universal acclaim) All of these opinions are valid and correct and we could keep adding them til the cows come home and not cover all the bases.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:11 PM
low54
Elder User
Knew this was going to be a killer thread...here's another soap box...I was at the junk yard lookin to scout around for parts I can and could fab for my project...the guy at the desk asked, "for what year?"...I said no in reply, i'm just wanting to walk through your yard to find some various parts I can fab for my project...he looked at me and questioned again...Oh and "for what year?"...