Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Posting Guru

ceetwarrior is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking EFI Supercharged 460!

Hey guys here's some modivation for anyone thinking about this at night (like me) LOL

YouTube - ‪Vortech Supercharged EFI 460 Ford F350 OBS‬‏

I just put it on. This vid is the second start up. I'm very surprised how well it runs considering NO tune yet! I'm not even running the MSD box or anything that came with the blower kit.

Tuning will be done with Diablosport software/hardware. It is Speed Density and NOT mass air. I'm not planning on converting either. I'll post up tuning results real soon for all you SD haters out there.

All I had to do for the cam was adjust the idle set screw up a lil more. It ran fine, for now!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Senior User

Blueoval_boy_64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can't wait to hear about your results! Once I get home I'll be working on getting mine running to! How agressive of a cam did you put in?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Posting Guru

I don't know hardly any specs about the stock cam so I don't know how agressive this one is compared to stock...

It's a Comp .505 in, .520 ex. /262 280 114LSA .050 / 218 230

Runs strong, even at only part throttle til I get tuned...
Old 07-08-2011, 03:23 AM
Senior User

Nevada Al is starting off with a positive reputation.
You have my attention...
79' Monte Carlo, built 327, TH350, 3.73 ratio ford 9" (go fast rig)
06' Malibu Maxx, (Dad mobile)
Old 07-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Posting Guru

hey guys, it threw down 305rwhp and 420rwtq at only 5PSI and 4500RPM! And through 35" tires. =D

We revved to 5200rpm on dyno (once he got rid of speed governer and fuel cut off tune) and it died off cause of the old blower running out of steam.

My tuner tuned with Quarterhorse hardware and software from Moates.net. I didn't use ANY of the crap that came in the kit. NO MSD box, no boost retard, no inline pumps/switches, no FMU.

Fuel: Since I'm at high altitude I was able to get away with not having to do any fuel upgrades. All I did was use some 30# super-coupe injectors to replace the stock 24's. And the best part of it all, ***get ready haters...***..... ready..... it's still Speed Density ........ and it's tuned on LOW octane. 85 octane is the lowest we have here.

So, for a 6200lbs truck this thing moves out! I'm VERY happy with the results!! Truck runs great, no check engine lights, codes, or anything. You can feel the cam at idle, but that's about it. I got some dyno footage I'll post up soon...
Old 07-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Posting Guru

DIYiT has a good reputation on FTE.DIYiT has a good reputation on FTE.
Have you had the Vortech kit for a while? If not, how long did you have to look to find one?

Definitely looking forward to some more vids.

1995 F-250 - Vortech 460, E40D - 4x4 3.55, Single Cab, Long Box
DIYiT's F-250 Build Thread
--Dana 60 Swap --Vortech Install
Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Posting Guru

I've had it for a couple months now. It took a year or so to find one. Funny thing, when I finally found one, it was in state, and then two days later I found another one in state so I bought it, too. I'm selling the spare kit, right now. Got a check on the way from the first guy in line! I didn't even advertise it. Any blower kit for these trucks are hard to find!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Senior User

So how much did you end up spending to tune your SD? The funny thing is that I ended up buying an entire truck just to get the Vortech supercharger kit. The only problem I have now is that it didn't have the intake ducting on it, so I have to fabricate one since I can't seem to find one and vortech doesn't offer the kit anymore.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Posting Guru

The hardware/software was $300. And Around $300 for dyno time. Cool thing about this quarterhorse is it's got a remote wire that mounts a printer style cable near under the dash (I mounted it by my trailer brake controller) and then a USB cable connects right into it for any tuning changes.

I'm probably into the blower setup for $2,500, blower kit, tuning, hoses, belt, etc... Gotta pay to play.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Posting Guru

Here's a quick vid I threw together of some of the drivetrain buildup. I'll be drag racing it in a couple weeks, just for fun.

‪My F350 Drivetrain Build and Dyno‬‏ - YouTube
Old 07-22-2011, 07:54 PM
New User

460towrig is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceetwarrior View Post
The hardware/software was $300. And Around $300 for dyno time. Cool thing about this quarterhorse is it's got a remote wire that mounts a printer style cable near under the dash (I mounted it by my trailer brake controller) and then a USB cable connects right into it for any tuning changes.

I'm probably into the blower setup for $2,500, blower kit, tuning, hoses, belt, etc... Gotta pay to play.
For the past few months I've been looking at purchasing a replacement engine for my 460. However Speed Density has held me back. I've been unsure what the stock computer is capable of handling.

I did a Google search- Found this link. QuarterHorse for Fords [QH1] - $249.00 : Moates.Net . Appears to be a plug and play chip for the computer. Is this correct. Do you have pictures of your install?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Senior User

I can't say that I'm not going to go MAF at some point... but this sounds like a great idea to just get my pickup going untill I go threw my engine! but that's just cause I plan on going wild when I do. What kind of headers are you running?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Posting Guru

Theres no need to go to MAF unless you plan on changing things ALL the time. SD works great when it's tuned for changes. So do all your mods at once then go get it tuned by a professional. Or you can tune it yourself if you know what your doing.

Yes, Moates.net is the place to get the quarterhorse hardware and software. It's just over $300 with software for our 460 computers. It's a very confusing process to get the software so be warned. You simply pull out your computer (I dropped driver side plastic fender aprin) and plug this chip in to the existing J3 port. (once you buff off the virgin protectant from the computer).

My headers are Hedman longtubes. I have more pictures in a thread on there about header fitment, earlier this year.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:12 PM
New User

Subi69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
subi69
Sweet truck man,

What comp cam did you go with?

Thanks Clay
Old 07-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subi69 View Post
Sweet truck man,

What comp cam did you go with?

Thanks Clay
Thanks man. It's a custom comp cam made just for me . I got the specs layin around somewhere.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:51 PM