EFI Supercharged 460!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:36 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mass air ECU with a Moates Quarter Horse is so much easier to tune yourself. Put the MAF voltage/flow curve in, set engine displacement, injector size and firing order in. That should get it basically driveable.

No need to manually build a huge VE table.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:24 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deerediesel
Nossliw........... you took the words out of my mouth. I've been hunting for a kenne bel kit for a long long time, with absolutely noe leads at all. I have same as given up and decided to go the turbo route as well. I really hope all this comes together for you. I have a (almost) complete MAF kit with FEZ3 pcm for my '97 460 in the shop that has yet to be installed, and if I go turbo, I wonder now am I better off leaving it SD and going with the moates or AEM? I keep looking at those new EFR borgwarner turbos, they are bad. I was planning on taking mine to a mustang shop and having it dyno tuned when finished.........whatever year that will be.

Yeah I think there are quite a few of us looking for them, and thats why they never even hit flebay.

Regarding MAF and SD, I never got a clear answer on which one to go with... I thought i read you can go with the quarter horse setup with SD and get it in to a tuner to get it setup on the dyno,.... or was i mistaken and the quarterhorse setup is only compatable with MAF.... I'm trying to make the correct decision in the long run.... that is all. I hate electronics and have been a carb fan for many years.

I think for a basic turbo kit the plan is going to start with an STS kit for the turbo/and plumbing. I also like their snorkel they have for the air filter so I can locate it in the truck bed with a canister shield.... cooler air back there anyways

I'm going to try to give them a call today and see if they have suggestions for a single vs twin setup. I noticed all the truck turbos they have made are not for large displacement motors except the SRT-10, which only had a single turbo in their kit. I'l like to go twin but I'm not sure how that will affect my intake tubing as well as pressure change over distance. Found a few calcs to do to equate the tubing length that will be used for heat transfer efficiency and will maybe eliminate the need for an intercooler. Twins will spool quicker but I do not want them to over spin if too small.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Quaterhorse can work with SD or MAF computers, but it all depends on whether someone has written a "definition" file for that computer if it will work. If there is no definition for that specific computer, it will be quite a process to hire someone to make one for you.

Websites like EECTuning.org have a TON of information and definition files for Ford Computers.

If you're going turbo, you're going to need to go MAF unless you get an aftermarket computer, like an AEM or Megasquirt. Ford MAP sensors use a frequency rather than a voltage, and as far as I know, there are no Ford MAP sensors capable handling boost (other than the diesel MAP sensors, however those output a voltage, not a frequency and will not work)

Old 11-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the good info lead head. keep it coming. A year or so ago I didnt know jack crap about the differences between SD and MAF and sure as heck didnt know about Moates or megasquirt. But I am leanrning. I have a FEZ3 pcm that came out of a 1997 cali emissions truck, I am hoping it will work fine with the boost, assuming I have the proper matching parts. I got it from that IST place in jasper, GA. I was surprised they really couldnt tell me much outside the box of a stock set up.If I had it to do over again I may have went a completely different route with my entire set up. But... this is a good learning process for me.
Nossliw- you and me are on the same page as far as turbo set up and plumbing. I called STS a few different times just to pick their brains. They were very helpful, said they could match a turbo (single) to my set up prettygood, and power would be stupid once i got it tuned right. I also had decided to run my air intake up through the bed into my toolbox.
One question I've had for a while regarding the MAF sensor....... Will it need to upstream of the turbo (placing it far away from the pcm under the bed ) or -- If it is downstream of the compressor side will it have to be a special MAF to handle the boost. The one i have in my kit is 80mm from Ford I believe....I do not think this will be sufficient for the power range I will be in. I see all these aftermarket MAF sensors claiming to be the best... some made to handle boost some not. I do not have much experience with this area outside of stock engine set up.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
With remote turbos, a MAF at the turbo intake is a no-go. The piping is too long, and there will be too much of a delay before the MAF sees a change in air flow. Once it's going it'll be fine, but it'll hesitate something awful when you get on it suddenly.

If you can get the turbos into the engine bay, than pull through is definitely doable.

We're using a 90mm lightning MAF with a voltage divider (since we were maxing it out). There are better MAFs for blow-through setups though. I think SCT makes a few good ones.

I can't help you with the FEZ3 though, that's a big step up converting to EEC-V. Gonna require a lot of re-wiring, but you will be gaining OBD-II support. We did my friend's with a HOG1 EEC-IV.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:21 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Thanks for all the good info guys.

I just got a call back from sts with a bid and am sort of confused with all the shat they put on there.....4900.00 just for the parts. Not sure if I need half the stuff but that number sort of made me second guess my self. I'm sure I can go find the same stuff else where for cheaper. add on the cost for the MAF conversion/ second motor build/ and tranny and this is much more expensive than an entire 7.3 truck and having enough money to go buy a Banks kit for it....

Can you guys advise me on why I should not run a megasquirt kit... I have thought about this too.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
If you're good with fabricating, just do it yourself. Don't bother with a kit from STS.

Megasquirt is fine and all, but its pretty expensive unless you assemble the computer yourself, and you'll have to tune it yourself completely from scratch, and you'll be needing to do a ton of wiring.

By the way, to get a 7.3 PSD to make the same kind of power of a mildly built turbo 460, you're looking at close to $3000 for injectors alone...

Old 10-11-2013, 01:18 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
I have been collecting the parts to turbo the 460 I swapped in my 1978 CCSB, lucky for me I am still carbed, unlucky is that I HATE Holleys and an Edelbrock requires a lot of mods for blow thru.

I will try to keep my post purely to the turbo related and not EFI or carb. I got an older Banks Sidewinder non waste-gated turbo and have enough room to mount inside my engine compartment above the height of my oil pan. My issue is which waste-gate to use as with carb limits I can't risk how much a "floating" setup will put out as my carb floats will implode, I need an adjustable gate and prefer a dual diaphram design (based on reading OD turbo books) I am having a lot of trouble weeding out all the knock off parts and quality stuff as Ebay is full of WGs and BOVs due to little four banger cars.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:38 PM
arod1256
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 F350 460 EFI e40D 4x4 maf conversion . Please what is the best ecm to work with my tranny and not have any 4x4 light issues or check engine lights ?

Old 11-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Direct swap in? None. You can use a 94/95 302 E4OD California MAF computer, but it will need to be tuned for the 460.

There was a 96/97 E4OD Mass-Air 460 computer, but it is a later "EEC-V" ECU, compared to your trucks EEC-IV. It will require a fairly substantiation re-wiring of your truck, a long with swapping on the California timing cover with the crank position sensor.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:02 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
I have been collecting the parts to turbo the 460 I swapped in my 1978 CCSB, lucky for me I am still carbed, unlucky is that I HATE Holleys and an Edelbrock requires a lot of mods for blow thru.

I will try to keep my post purely to the turbo related and not EFI or carb. I got an older Banks Sidewinder non waste-gated turbo and have enough room to mount inside my engine compartment above the height of my oil pan. My issue is which waste-gate to use as with carb limits I can't risk how much a "floating" setup will put out as my carb floats will implode, I need an adjustable gate and prefer a dual diaphram design (based on reading OD turbo books) I am having a lot of trouble weeding out all the knock off parts and quality stuff as Ebay is full of WGs and BOVs due to little four banger cars.
Look at turbodynamics, HKS, Greddy, many more well made BOV....i wouldn't get an ebay china piece, especially with the amount of work you will be putting into the build, it would be heart breaking to see a motor pop due to a malfunction BOV.

Originally Posted by arod1256
95 F350 460 EFI e40D 4x4 maf conversion . Please what is the best ecm to work with my tranny and not have any 4x4 light issues or check engine lights ?
Dude I wish I could help you here....I'd have to write a book on the issues and endless funds we put into the setup without reliability. I gave up on this a couple years back because it became so expensive to properly tune the system and coordinate with the tranny in different elevations, boost setting and so on. I ended up buying a diesel and building that up, and in the end I still feel like I came out on top.

I have helped a couple guys do turbo small block blow through carbed motors. The EFI 460 motor and ECM in these trucks is about as bad as it gets for modifying. We have done a few turboed MAF mustangs, which we designed the 460 mapping system off. Elevation changes and reliability issues caused to be much more of a head ache than we ever wanted for the 460 build, and tranny comunications/BARO/shift points, were a night mare. Even with auto tune.

I moved on, bought and built a modded a 7.3 diesel, and a 24v cummins went in the gas truck... I will never go back to gas vehicles :-)

That being said best of luck with the project, and I hope the best for yah. Please keep us updated because I would truly love to see it work, be reliable, and last 400k miles :-) I think you are going to find out its going to get really expensive extremely fast, just like I did, and I ended up selling it all off.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:03 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Direct swap in? None. You can use a 94/95 302 E4OD California MAF computer, but it will need to be tuned for the 460.

There was a 96/97 E4OD Mass-Air 460 computer, but it is a later "EEC-V" ECU, compared to your trucks EEC-IV. It will require a fairly substantiation re-wiring of your truck, a long with swapping on the California timing cover with the crank position sensor.

This guy got it to work, so I'd get every bit of knowledge you can from him!

Old 11-06-2013, 04:05 PM
arod1256
New User
Thank you Leadhead !

Yes i want a direct swap in , do you happen to have a ECM code ? I just wanna make sure i will not have to run any transmission controller and it will have the 4x4 lights working properly . I plan on getting a custom tune made for my truck once the MAF and Ecm are completed . Which wiring harness would be easiest to install , please keep in mind i am trying to keep costs down and do not mind hitting the junkyard for the parts just need to know what trucks i am looking for.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
The catch code will be HOG0/HOG1/WAY1/VEX1. They were on 94-95 F-150 5.0 E4OD California trucks only. You need to be careful as there were 94-95 F-150 4R70W trucks as well and those ECUs will not work.

The wiring between your truck and the F-150 mass air truck is a bit different, and will require repining the connector, as well as adding 6 new injector wires and the wires for the MAF.

Oldfuelinjection.com has all the pinouts.

Keep in mind the truck will not run with the 5.0 computer. The 460 and 5.0 have different firing orders, and you'll need to tune it before you can even do anything.

The 4x4 lights have nothing to do with the computer.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:59 PM
arod1256
New User
Thank you for all your help .. when you mentioned the harness there will be 6 or 8 wires to the injectors ? Ok I have full access to have the computer tuned . Did you purchase your harness or take one from another truck ?

Quick Reply: EFI Supercharged 460!