1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

another 95 P.S.D. wont start ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, Welcome to the dark side! Once you get the smell of diesel exhaust in your blood, it's hard to recover.

Here are a couple things to help you get started with these PSD's. You'll probably want to bookmark these for future reference.

THIS ONE is a link to a list of common acronyms (all the initials we use when talking about these engines).

HERE is one that has a bunch of other links to some really good info about our trucks.

And THIS SITE does a pretty good job of explaining the way our engines and more specifically the fuel systems work. If you're like me understanding how and why something works makes it 100 times easier to understand what may or may not be wrong when it DOESN'T work.

The way these fuel systems work is that they use engine oil (yes, from the crankcase) to actuate the injectors. There is a separate High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) in the front of the valley between the heads that pumps engine oil through a couple of galleries in the heads to drive the injectors. This pump produces oil pressures ranging from 700-around 3000 PSI of oil pressure to drive the injectors and atomize the fuel. The ICP is the sensor that sense the oil pressure in these galleries, and the IPR is the device that regulates this pressure. Each injector has an electrical solenoid on the top of it that essentially opens a valve that allows the high pressure oil to fire the injector. These solenoids are controlled by the Injector Drive Module (IDM) which is a secondary computer that just takes care of injection on these engines.

This is probably enough to think about and try to get your mind around for now, but keep reading in this section and soon you'll be spewing acronyms with the rest of us!

Oh and one word of caution: resist the temptation to use ether on this motor. If the glow plug system is working and you hit one of those cherry red glow plugs in the cylinder with a shot of ether, you can have bent rods, broken pistons and lots of other not so fun stuff to deal with. If you have to use ether to get the truck to fire the first time, unhook the Glow Plug Relay (GPR) and let it sit for at least 5 minutes before you try it. It would be a bad day indeed if you grenade this motor before you even get it running.

Oh and as far as the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) goes, you typically won't see any movement in the tach if the CPS is bad. It might be a quick and easy thing to try to swap it out if it is in question. It pays to have a spare CPS anyway since they are a common point of failure and will leave you stranded when they fail. Get one at International or Ford, and not from the discount auto parts chains, as they are not all created equal.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:40 AM
bigdaddys76
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well without you or I knowing if the tach was moving while cranking it was hard for you guys to help me but I can say I was impressed with all of the responses! And say thanks a million.
Got to the truck this am turned the key and observed the tach sitting motionless went to the dealer bought a cam shaft position sensor,$16.81, popped it in, turned the key, and it fired up.
Now thats good news but what a smoker!!!! 160,000 on the clock (not 60k like they thought) so I would say it aint wore out but could all this white/gray/blue smoke just be from sitting since Jan. 07 or would something be stuck?
Did get the REAL story about it as well. Truck was parked in a low area when one of those freak rain sorms popped up and the water came up to the bottom of the doors(I'm 100% positive that it did not get inside) they jumped in it and drove out so I would say the sensor got real wet and started acting up cause the rest of the story goes that they went a few blocks and it started to run "funny" the owner of the buisness told them to have it towed to the dealer and of course the dealer told them the engine was bad. The owner had it towed to his shop called the insurance adjuster who then said due to age and milage they had to total it out. Owner bought it back only to discover they "branded" the title non-repairable. So now I'm discussing it with a DMV investigator cause this is a one owner spottless dent and rust free very clean truck with a lot of life left in it.
Damn got off track for a minute what do you guys think about the rough idle and smoke?
Thanks for all of your help last night!!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:58 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet!! Glad to hear you got it running.

As far as the smoke and rough idle go, I wouldn't do anything in the way of repairs until you get a fresh tank of fuel in it, change the fuel filter, put a can or two of anti-algae in the fuel (even with the new fuel), and give it an oil change. These are things you are going to want to do to it anyway, but they may serve to fix your issue as well. I would probably run some kind of diesel additive too, Diesel Kleen comes to mind, but I am sure there are others that these guys could recommend.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Like nate said, get fresh fuel, oil, filters, etc. then go from there.