Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2014, 01:02 AM
New User

johnnybrewmeister is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSHS View Post
I had the same problem last year. I found the vacuum line from the engine on the firewall, just above the evaporator and blower motor housing. I couldn't find it underneath the truck, so I found where it entered the cabin and began pulling. As everyone has stated the rubber hose that connects to the vacuum reservoir was crumbling apart. Rather than try to replace the hose, I simply ordered a new vacuum reservoir from Amazon for about $20 and ran a new hose to the vacuum line that comes off the engine. I tucked the new vacuum reservoir up under the dash (as best I could) in the passenger footwell. I secured it with double-sided tape. The new reservoir is triangular, so it fit well. It is an AC Delco #10403762.
Great thread! Thanks for all the info. Even old posts continue to help us that are just encountering this (common) problem. I ordered this same AC Delco reservoir and rigged it up the same way. And my problem is 98% fixed - here's the 2%: just got back from some really long mountain uphills, where the A/C would blow normal for about 10 min. up a 15 min climb, but then default back to defrost. So this fix works for almost all cases, but it's as if the AC Delco reservoir isn't big enough?
Anybody know the volume of the Ford reservoir in the wheel well?
Or does this indicate that maybe I still have a slow leak in some of my lines/fittings? I did have to convert to a mixture of sizes.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 AM
Senior User

jimandnena is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrewmeister View Post
Great thread! Thanks for all the info. Even old posts continue to help us that are just encountering this (common) problem. I ordered this same AC Delco reservoir and rigged it up the same way. And my problem is 98% fixed - here's the 2%: just got back from some really long mountain uphills, where the A/C would blow normal for about 10 min. up a 15 min climb, but then default back to defrost. So this fix works for almost all cases, but it's as if the AC Delco reservoir isn't big enough?
Anybody know the volume of the Ford reservoir in the wheel well?
Or does this indicate that maybe I still have a slow leak in some of my lines/fittings? I did have to convert to a mixture of sizes.
Morning Johnny,
Here are some more helpful(?) encounters with those vacuum reservoirs, and some creative solutions:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/69...reservoir.html

The tip about finding replacement or extra reservoirs in the salvage yards is a good one. Possibly add a 2nd reservoir to the system?

jim
Old 07-31-2014, 11:51 AM
Senior User

jeffnick is starting off with a positive reputation.
Johnnyb, I'd guess you still have a small leak. If I understand the system, it doesn't require replenishing vacuum once the valves are positioned...it only needs more engine vacuum when the controls are moved/changed. Another canister would work as a patch, at least for a while.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:31 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Johnny Jeff is spot on here---recheck all your connections for leaks.

The reservoir's purpose is mainly to be a buffer when vacuum is reduced such as under throttle---it provides just enough for a short time such as when we have to quickly accelerate. During long climbs its possible for the stock reservoir to "run out of vacuum" but with a sealed system normal function to air flow would quickly return.

Assuming a leak-free second or larger reservoir could be added to the heating/cooling system in most cases its really not needed. As delivered our vans tend to work very well--its only when a leak or failed vacuum motor or control valve we have these sorts of issues.

Best thing is once repaired correctly they rarely need any more fixin' .
Old 08-01-2014, 07:04 PM
New User

johnnybrewmeister is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks everybody. I'll re-check my fittings for leaks.
This makes sense, because it took me 3 times to get my cheapo O'reilly rubber adapter sleeves to really work. The first 2 times I got things working, took it for a test drive, all was great. But the next day it was 100% broken - checked the fittings and one had split open. I guess I was over stressing/stretching it, but I wanted a tight fit. Two days in a row. I proably have one starting to split, but hasn't failed all the way yet.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:40 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
I like this motto: "persevere, adapt, overcome..........." It works every time!

Your fittings probably are the issue but upside is those are easily and cheaply fixed. Good fittings are always worth their cost always.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:02 PM
New User

Mach5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is a project on my "to-do" list. Mine stops blowing through the vents when accelerating. I started to pull the heater box, thinking I just needed to gain access. Can't get the darn thing out and from reading this thread it sounds like even if I do I won't be able to access it. Can anyone confirm whether this is the same set up for those with rear ac? I have a 99 E350.

I'm not totally thrilled with the idea of having to cut the metal to gain access. I do have some POR that I could use to paint the edges to prevent rust after I'm done. I just need to get the marine sealant and then I can get this job done. That and the rubber hose and check valve. Can I get all of that at O'Reilly?
Old 09-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Senior User

Im50fast is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach5 View Post
This is a project on my "to-do" list. Mine stops blowing through the vents when accelerating. I started to pull the heater box, thinking I just needed to gain access. Can't get the darn thing out and from reading this thread it sounds like even if I do I won't be able to access it. Can anyone confirm whether this is the same set up for those with rear ac? I have a 99 E350.

I'm not totally thrilled with the idea of having to cut the metal to gain access. I do have some POR that I could use to paint the edges to prevent rust after I'm done. I just need to get the marine sealant and then I can get this job done. That and the rubber hose and check valve. Can I get all of that at O'Reilly?
You only cut metal if you intend to repair/replace the existing stock unit. Most people here agree that it's better to add a reservoir elsewhere and plumb it to the correct line.

I need to do mine too. Hungry V10 QUICKLY sucks the dash vents closed under throttle. The V6 Econoline I had previously was much more subtle.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Postmaster

maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
facebook.com/TheCrip Maples01
I'm wondering if this vacuum leak could be causing my lean bank 1&2 condition and missing.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:03 PM
New User

Mach5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im50fast View Post
You only cut metal if you intend to repair/replace the existing stock unit. Most people here agree that it's better to add a reservoir elsewhere and plumb it to the correct line.

I need to do mine too. Hungry V10 QUICKLY sucks the dash vents closed under throttle. The V6 Econoline I had previously was much more subtle.

Mine is a hungry v10, too. :-)

I've read about installing the AC Delco reservoir/check valve unit, but my impression is that it will only hold the vacuum for short periods. I want a solution that will allow me to be on throttle up over the mountains in San Diego County, where I will spend 15 minutes straight climbing. I've seen some build a reservoir out of PVC, but that solution is aesthetically unappealing. Still, that may be the direction I'll go. We'll see.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Senior User

Im50fast is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach5 View Post
Mine is a hungry v10, too. :-)

I've read about installing the AC Delco reservoir/check valve unit, but my impression is that it will only hold the vacuum for short periods. I want a solution that will allow me to be on throttle up over the mountains in San Diego County, where I will spend 15 minutes straight climbing. I've seen some build a reservoir out of PVC, but that solution is aesthetically unappealing. Still, that may be the direction I'll go. We'll see.
Oh yeah: you're gonna need a top notch fix... The PVC will look OK if you paint it flat black.

Please let me know what you do/how you do it/how it turns out. I spend a couple hours per day on highways, so I'm delaying fixing mine as long as possible.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Post Fiend

If you guys are hell bent on significantly larger vacuum reservoirs there's an acre of available space UNDER the van!

I'd considering using a 3" or 4" diameter Sch 40 or 80 PVC pipe fitted just inside the right side frame rail---could probably be 6' or so. Using a good grade of braided hose and proper fittings and a check valve installed under the hood it would be weather-resistant, cheap and fairly easy to fabricate/install.

Something that large would give you just about all the reserve vacuum you'd probably ever need.

Just an idea----------HTH
Old 09-22-2014, 07:28 AM