Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2011, 12:41 AM
New User

frustratedowner is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2006 ford f250 turbo diesel wont restart.

I have a 2006 Ford F250 Turbo Diesel super Duty 4X4, that is giving me issues. It will not show any codes and when I drive it to the store for example and come back out apporximately 10-15 minutes later, the truck will not start. In fact it will take about 20-30 minutes to restart. It turns over and sounds like it is not getting any fuel and wont start.
I am hearing that it might be the ignition module which cost approximately $1500 to fix. I am also hearing it might be the fuel pump, or the oil pump. I am completely frustrated and lost. I have been stranted 6x in the last week and I am getting the run around from dealer shops.
Does anybody have an idea of what this might be and I wonder if anybody has experienced anything like this with their truck.
Thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Moved to the 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel forum.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:16 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
No-starts can come from many different problems. You need to do some methodical troubleshooting or you will have a HUGE repair cost by just changing parts.

There is a no-start troubleshooting thread in the Tech Folder (second thread down from the top of) that will help you test the more common things.

First - what code reader are you using to check for codes?

Second - what are your maintenance practices - specifically with fuel filters, and oil and filters? What oil are you using and how many miles since the last change? What BRAND of filters are you using?

Third, I am skeptical about the ignition module or the fuel pump being the issue with the behaviour you describe. The oil pump that you are being told about is no doubt the HIGH PRESSURE oil pump (HPOP) and not the low pressure pump (LPOP), but on a 2006 these pumps are pretty reliable. If you crank a lot and ruin your batteries, you can aso damage your Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM). It is an expensive part, so make sure your batteries are healthy. Best way to do this is to charge them up, and then have them INDIVIDUALLY load tested at a good shop (dealership, battery shop, or even an autoparts store).

It sounds like you have a leak in the high pressure oil system. The common leak points in a 2006 model year are
1. Discharge fitting off of the high pressure oil pump (HPOP - called the snap-to-connect (STC) fitting
2. Dummy plugs in the oil rail
3. Stand-pipes in the oil rail
4. Injectors

Again, the no-start thread can help you determine IF you have a leak and WHERE the leak is coming from if you do have a leak.

If you want to be capable of troubleshooting your 6.0L vehicle (now and in the future), you need gauges and a scanner of some sort. The scangaugeII is a good tool.

No matter what scan tool you buy (if you decide to do so), you will need to add a sending unit and a gauge for fuel pressure and exhaust gas temperature. These are important things to watch, and Ford did not give you a way to do so.

This is probably not related to your no-start, but MANY 6.0L engines are operating w/ too low of fuel pressure. This can damage injectors over time. There is an easy fix ... buy and install a stiffer spring (from Ford) for the fuel pressure regulator. This is important for lomg-term reliability IMO.

Please answer the questions from earlier in the post, read up, start troubleshooting, then post back.

We (this forum) have part numbers for most of the things you may be buying and can provide specific help on installing components.

Welcome to FTE.

Edit - for your convenience here are links, but it would be to your benefit to know where the Tech folder is and what is in it!

Tech Folder:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/30...ch-folder.html

No-Start thread:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/87...condition.html
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 06-22-2011, 06:05 AM
Postmaster

2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Could be the stc fitting.

2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 DBL Cab
Old 07-12-2011, 06:13 PM
New User

frustratedowner is starting off with a positive reputation.
HPOP Removal and component replacements

Thank you guys so much

I have found out that of course it is my HPOP and I need to know if you really need to use the OTC 303-755 Quick release coupling disconnect tool? I have read many forums and have not heard anything about this tool. according to Ford it is requried to work on the HPOP? HELP! please
Old 07-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2003, 2006, 2009, deisel, diesel, f250, ford, low, oil, pressure, pump, reasons, start, swap, turbo, wont