Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD tranny shifting hard

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:47 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by 2shus
Where is the TPS? If its easy to unplug it would be worth a try at least
The TPS is on the other end of the throttle shaft.
I would not unplug this sensor other than to test it and I dough that the TSP is what they unplugged.
The TPS tells the computer how much fuel to supply to the engine and if you have and Auto Transmission when to shift and how much oil pressure to apply to the clutch packs. There are other items the computer does with this information also.
The TPS has three positions, closed throttle, half way open position and wide open throttle.
The computer relearns the TPS closed position every time you start the engine so you do not want to have your foot on the throttle when you start the engine.

Here is some more information on the TPS in this link:
Ford Fuel Injection » Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

/

Old 06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
2shus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subford
SERVICE CODE 33: VERIFY VACUUM IS PRESENT AT EGR VALVE

Service Code 33 in Key On Engine Running indicates that the EVP sensor input did not change after the EVR solenoid was instructed by the processor to open the EGR valve. Because a Code 84 was not received in the Key On Engine Off Self-Test, it is known that the EVR solenoid functions electrically. It is also known that the EVP sensor is in the expected closed valve range because Code 32 and 34 were not received in either Key On Engine Off or Key On Engine Running Tests.

Possible causes:

-- Vacuum hose leaks

-- Obstructed vacuum hose

-- Obstructed EVR solenoid filter

-- Damaged EVR solenoid.

-- Damaged EVP sensor.

-- Damaged EGR valve
Ok. I guess I have to address that issue also. Would that affect the hard shifting problem? Thanks.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:55 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
No I do not think the computer would go into the limp mode over the EGR valve so in that case it would not affect the hard shifting problem.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 95 F-250 was doing this (BANGing hard shift 1-2-3) after the tune up I did on this past weekend. I was worried myself as to what was going on. Oddly, I lost my axillary trans oil cooler late this afternoon. I took it out and bypassed it with rubber line till I find a replacement.

On my way home from my buds shop she shifted like a caddy... Also it was pouring rain on the way home. Don't know what if any variables are related to this hard shift/poof fine. But wanted to post about it to pick brains.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:42 PM
92will
Senior User
Im back at it again. Shifting hard, shifting too early, torque converter locking and unlocking. Since it was doing it all the way home, I pulled the codes without turning it off. First engine running: 311, 332, 536. 311: thermactor systems is disabled; 332: EGR is disabled with EGR eliminator; 536: I thought I did this during the test, but must have not. KOEO: 111, 122, 332, 542. 111: I dont understand the 111 with all these other codes but whatever; 122: I have replaced the TPS 4 times and thought maybe I needed to again, but I have .92 volts closed and full range upto 4.5 volts WOT. It does not appear to have any bad spots; 332: already covered; 542: I have a weak rear pump that I do not use, but maybe another problem? This is the first time I have ever recieved this code.

I thought for sure maybe the TPS went out again, but with the full range of voltage I'm not sure now. I am going to get under it and look at the connectors going to the tranny.

This sucks because of 4 day weekend, boat sitting in driveway, and no way to get it to the lake without fixing this cursed transmission shifting problem.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Will

Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
It is a little hard to follow what you did with the codes. But the 111 means no code in one of the tests or CM contains no codes.
You can have 111 for the KOEO, then stored codes in CM and the 111 for KOER.
Is that what you are saying you read?

If you speedometer is working OK then you may be running in limp mode.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:08 PM
92will
Senior User
I just checked the two transmission connectors (one on drivers side and one on passenger side). They look just fine with no signs of burnt pins or wires. I put some dielectric grease on them then slide them in and out several times to try to make good contact. I also did the same thing with the VSS even so the way I understand it, it only controls the speedometer of which is steady and I have no problems with it.

I have never recieved a VSS code or any tranny codes even so I have battled this problem for a few years now. I have also read that if the cruise control does not work while it is doing this shifting problem, then it points to the PSOM. But the cruise has worked just fine every time.

I need to fix whatever is wrong with it, but I can not afford to replace everything just trying to find the problem (PSOM, TPS, VSS, MLPS, EEC, etc.)

Old 07-01-2011, 03:11 PM
92will
Senior User
First I checked the codes with the engine running because sometimes when I restart it, it will shift fine for a while and I was trying to catch it. Then I turned it off and did the KOEO test. First I got 111 then 111 again. Then after a pause I got 122, 332, 542.

Yes the speedometer has never failed to work correctly.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:37 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
OK then the 122, 332 & 542 are CM codes.

The 122 will cause what you are describing.
It looks like an open wire between the TPS and the computer or bad TPS.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:41 PM
92will
Senior User
I think I will clear the codes and drive it around a little (I need to get gas anyway) then see if the 122 code comes back. I can not imagine why i have had such problems with the TPS. I did buy the cheap ones at Advance to start. Then I read on this site about getting OE sensors beacause the cheap ones are made inferior. So the one that is one there now came from NAPA and is supposed to be an OE part.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:33 PM
92will
Senior User
Well I drove it maybe 5 miles without the CEL on and shifting perfectly. I know it is only 5 miles but that is the most I have been able to do in a few days. I pulled codes anyway and got KOEO 111. And running got 311, 332. Speaking of that, how do I fool the computer with these two codes? I have the EGR eliminator so I thought that would take care of 332. I just have the vacume lines disconnected from all the thermactor crap but the electrical connectors still connected. It would be nice to not have to look at that bright beaming amber CEL light every where I go.

Anyway, I am very scepticle about it being fixed because I did not do anything but apply dielectric grease to the tranny connectors and the VSS connector which I have done in the past.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:28 AM
92will
Senior User
So far the only problems I have had since adding the dielectric grease is the torque convertrer unlocking and locking back up while driving with the OD on. It will unlock for maybe a second and a half then lock back up. It did this several times while driving to work on Wednesday. Driving home yesterday and to work this morning, I had no problems.

This has got to be electrical, but it is so sparatic that it is hard to pin point it.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:17 PM
92will
Senior User
I went a few days without any problems at all, even while towing my boat. But this morning it started again after getting gas and restarting. The only thing it seems to be doing is locking the converter too soon at low speeds, and unlocking at highway speeds. I have not had the "teeth jarring" slamming into gear problem since I put the grease on the tranny connectors.

I dont know if it might be the MLPS or solinoid pack on the tranny, or something else. I will try to pull codes again and see if the TPS shows up again but I doubt it.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-16-2011, 05:40 AM
92will
Senior User
I have been reading a little information about Dielectric grease and started wondering if that might possibly be my problem. I have put quite a bit on every connector I have came in contact with. If the pins dont make the best of contact to start with, the dielectric grease could cause them to not make at all.

I am wondering if I might need to take some brake cleaner and clean off at least the MLPS and the connector on the passenger side, then barely put some grease just on the boot of the connectors?

Any thoughts?

Old 07-16-2011, 07:11 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
There is a plug (C103) on the drivers fender apron (inter fender) that goes down to the transmission. You could unplug that plug (C103) and take ohm readings there to see if the TR sensors pins are making good contact and are in the right ohm range.

C103:

Ohm Readings for the TR Sensor:

C103:

/

Quick Reply: E4OD tranny shifting hard