1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

BUILD THREAD: Bringing a '76 back from the dead (Pic. Heavy 56K BEWARE)

Old 08-17-2011, 02:21 PM
kelsey_kaye
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot that this came in the mail a couple of weeks ago:

Pulled the engine and trans finally...
My friend, Clay, lounging while Mike figured out what was catching.:

Mike wasn't too excited that I was the only one not really dirty. I, on the other hand, loved it.:

Everything out and on the ground for now:

Since I'm out of a school for a week, I've been working on cleaning up the engine and firewall area. Hopefully here shortly, I'll have an intake plate fabbed up so the engine can come off the ground, get separated, and put on the engine stand.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:39 PM
amodel55
Freshman User
Good luck on your project. I am working on a 1977 with 351M. Experts say 351M is junk but with up grades its some what ok. I sure hope so Thanks Robert

Old 08-19-2011, 01:51 PM
rmodel65
Cross-Country
id buy some POR15 to coat your firewall and frame rails etc while the front end is off....id actually go ahead and pull the cab and bed and do the whole frame at once...

Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 PM
kelsey_kaye
Senior User
rmodel65, that would be ideal. while i like the idea of POR15, i get the idea from everyone that it has to be sprayed on. that means also having to purchase a gun and moving a compressor back and forth from my dad's shop. not too ideal. as for the firewall, it's been spray bombed for now because down the road the whole truck will be repainted.

other than that.. i'll have a 4 day weekend to get plenty of other clean up work done and hopefully more tear down on the engine. the trans still hasn't been separated because the breaker bar we were using broke.

just to add a pic, i got some work in on the fender aprons.

and sort of where i left off minus painted firewall and partially painted frame.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 PM
kelsey_kaye
Senior User
been awhile since i've updated but haven't gotten anything major done.
got a reman'd booster and master cylinder from autozone:

painted it up:

how everything is sitting with the firewall spray bombed and some of the frame painted too:

Old 09-24-2011, 09:11 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kelsey_kaye
rmodel65, that would be ideal. while i like the idea of POR15, i get the idea from everyone that it has to be sprayed on. that means also having to purchase a gun and moving a compressor back and forth from my dad's shop. not too ideal. as for the firewall, it's been spray bombed for now because down the road the whole truck will be repainted.\
POR15 can be rolled, brushed, or sprayed. From what Ive heard its good stuff, and the only way to get it off is by burning it. Im just too cheap to get some

Looking good so far

Old 09-25-2011, 10:56 AM
turnkyle
Elder User
Thats a pretty clean truck for being a farm truck! All the farm trucks around here are beat to *****! Looking like you are making pretty good progress on it. I personally would leave it completley stock suspension/height wise but its your truck so make it what you want. I am suprised none of our helpers have taken any pictures of you working on the truck!

Old 09-25-2011, 02:50 PM
79F150400M
Laughing Gas
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by devino246
POR15 can be rolled, brushed, or sprayed. From what Ive heard its good stuff, and the only way to get it off is by burning it. Im just too cheap to get some

Looking good so far
POR15 is the shiznit!! I think I paid $17 for a pint and it more than coverd the whole floor of the cab. (i brushed it on). im going to get more since i have another cab floor to preserve.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 PM
blackkawi400
Senior User
Make sure you get at least a few pictures of you getting dirty with the truck!! Those are the pictures you'll love the most once everything is done!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:35 PM
robs_seven
Junior User
You should get some POR15 it's great stuff. I used it when I rebuilt my first car. Just make sure to use the metal prep stuff. I painted my frame , engine bay, and underbody using just a paint brush. It came out great, even and smooth. Good luck with the build and if you use the POR15 make sure to use gloves cause nothing takes that stuff off your skin.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:43 AM
1978Quinn
Freshman User
AMC HEI Distributor for JEEP 6, AMC HEI Distributor for JEEP V8 items in Thunderchickenauto store on eBay!

Ebay is flooded with these HEI distributors. I used one of these knockoffs in my 78 Bronco with a 460 and it worked very well for the money, one wire hook up. The duraspark ignitions leave a lot to be desired.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 PM
kelsey_kaye
Senior User
I looked on their website and saw that POR-15 could be brushed on also. As for now I'll continue spray painting sections of the frame just for rust prevention. Later on down the road when the truck gets repainted, I'll POR-15 the entire frame. It's more work to do the job twice, but it's just more convenient right now.

As for people not liking the idea of the truck being lowered, I've already noticed that most people on this site lift their trucks. Being that the truck is 2wd and most likely won't get the best gas mileage, I didn't even consider ever lifting it. Besides, I'm a fan of slammed vehicles, and I'm sure the truck will handle a bit better with the lower center of gravity. Everyone likes something different, and I'm quite alright with that.

Side note, broke another breaker bar trying to turn over the motor some more. Separating the trans from the engine has proven to be more than a hassle. Anyone have any pointers?

Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 PM
weez440
Senior User
i take it that it is an automatic. just take the bellhousing bolts out and slide the torque converter straight out with the motor. looks like a fun project keep us updated.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:20 PM
MiddleNameMUD
Senior User
Subscribed! Waiting for pics...

Old 09-27-2011, 12:04 PM
kelsey_kaye
Senior User
Remove the four nuts which connect the torque converter to the engine's flywheel. These bolts are accessible from underneath the vehicle, where the transmission meets the engine. It will be necessary to periodically turn the crankshaft with a wrench to access all four nuts. To turn the crankshaft, access the engine from underneath the hood and turn the bolt in the center of the harmonic balancer with a socket wrench equipped with a deep-socket. The crankshaft can be turned either way.

Read more: How to Remove C6 Automatic Transmissions | eHow.com How to Remove C6 Automatic Transmissions | eHow.com

This is where I'm having trouble. So far I've gotten 3 of the bolts out, but I've already broken 2 breaker bars trying to get to the last bolt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BUILD THREAD: Bringing a '76 back from the dead (Pic. Heavy 56K BEWARE)