Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2011, 09:15 PM
New User

dbradicich is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmission No Shift into High

The problem with the transmission is as follows.
ffice:office" />
All was good, until I noticed,, (while pulling a 1965 M35 Massey the Tractor weighs 6,017 lbs with all the ballast… probably less than 7000 total with trailer and all the crap)

Without notice,, would not shift into high gear (4th ????)

Symptoms are as follows.
Will not shift into high (4th?)
OD Light flashing on lever

(Stopped truck – Shut ‘er down)

Restart –
No OD light flashing
Still will not shift into 4th

(stopped truck - shut her down again)
Read a bunch of crap on internet and changed Rear Wheel Speed sensor in the pumpkin… I figured why not the $ 17.99 part,, as opposed to the $ 3,500 rebuild.
Pulled battery NEG cables, all lights on 10 min to draw down power on computer dealyawhatchit (saw that on the diesel forum thingy too.)
Reconnect..

Restart
Still no 4th
No OD Light flashing
When OD button pushed(OD light on) truck responds to quasi engine braking
(rpm’s stay constant according to speed)
Button pushed again (OD Light OFF)
Truck shifts normally up through gears, with the occasional HARD SHIFT between 2-3. (and I mean HARD!)
At about 50 mph or any other speed for that matter, when you pull foot off the pedal she immediately drops RPM to appx 700 (lower than idle I think)

Other notes.

Truck has sat all winter long unregistered,, and for quite a while before that. Total miles 141000. Tranny fluid and filter changed once last year.
Normal use for truck,,, probably never towed more than 10,000 once in its lifetime. But is used for getting hay, horses, and other farm crap.
About 1 month ago the “check engine” went to flashing.. but upon restart it went away and has not come back.
Doesn’t have any mods.
Needs Cam Switch Recall done.. I just need to take her down to dealer,, (here in KY they charge for that BTW… doesn’t seem right to me,, but they told me it was appx 200-280 depending on if they changed oil or not??????)
>>>>>>One more thing – REVERSE is like you have a high gear… ENGINE LUGS Down hard, and sometimes stalls..

To me it seems more electrical than mechanical, except for the fact that maybe its sat too long and gummed up something in the valve body and needs a flush.
I also pulled all plastics around steering column,, no chaffing or worn crap associated with harness or area around OD wire entrance to lever.
I have read horror stories and I mean (HORROR) about this so called “mechanical diode?” What the heck is that??? How can something be mechanical and a ‘diode’ at the same time?
Anyway,, my reading and research says,, this is either some solenoid, OR 40 or 50 other computer problems, or a complete rebuild.

Anyone who has been down this path, the help is appreciated…. Ford wants 150 bucks to read the codes thrown by the tranny. AAMCO will do it for free, and that scares me in either case.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:02 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Mechanical Diode is a trade name for a one way clutch. It transmits torque in one direction, but not the other direction, just like a diode does for electricity. It was used in the diesel transmissions for the first 3/4 of the 2001 model year.

You're right, the problem is at least one of 50 or so possibilities. You need to get the codes read to find out where to start. If you don't have the codes, and rebuild the trans, you stand a good chance of having the same problem with the new trans.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 06-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
There are folks that are part of our community here that have code readers that are compatible with the Ford diesel trucks that might be happy to do that for you.

It would be easier, however, if they knew where you were located.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 06-21-2011, 12:18 PM
New User

Lexington Kentucky -
Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
OK, then.

Anybody near Lexington able to pull codes???

Pop
Old 06-21-2011, 05:55 PM
New User

ok... now.. did a little more checking on this... went under the hood and found a blown fuse a 30Amp MAXI... pretty sure this is the culprit. several of my trips to the internet have linked this fuse with the pumpkin reference (now a new one) and the OD Switch shifting lever wiring chaff issue.. Now I did look at the chaffing and couldnt really see any.. I was clearly looking for obivious issues around where the tiny wired comes out of the lever and any other "obvious" items.. further expanding on my findings its about 1 hour to the closest shop with a code reader,, (I put lexington,, but I live in the sticks actually)

with this new info.. Blown Maxi fuse and the like,, suggestions are welcomed.... I WILL ALWAYS try all the simple stuff before I go downtown and spend the big bucks...
Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 PM
New User

in other words.... Please list possible causes for 30A Maxi to blow!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Too old to be too smart

Please don't assume that we can somehow know what year, model, trim level, truck you have, nor what specific fuse you found blown.

We can only help you when you give us something to go on.

We want to help, but we have to know what, specifically, we're working on here. Ford made wiring changes over the years, changed the locations of fuse boxes, etc., so yours probably isn't "just like" mine.

Pop
Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 PM
New User

o,, I thought the profile stuff would show up.

1FTNX21FX1EA60159
DATE 09/00

I am calling this an '01 F-250 SD 4 x 4 super Cab (door and a half)
No Modifications.. XL with Bench seat,, no fancy stuff.

Fuse #17
Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 PM
New User

So.. I changed the fuse.. It did not blow again.. 'good news' however operation of vehicle did not change.. still no shift into high.

It did a MAJOR Hard Shift into reverse though and stalled! OD light did come on and I did not put it on.. didnt do it again though.

same problem
Old 06-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Elder User

CPUNeck has a very good reputation on FTE.CPUNeck has a very good reputation on FTE.CPUNeck has a very good reputation on FTE.CPUNeck has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm not sure there's good news on your horizon... Tell us about the trany fluid. What does it look like (pink, red, orange, brown) Does it smell "burnt"? Is there any shiny flakes visible (you can wipe some on a clean white paper towel and look)

Also, when it shifted hard into reverse, I'm assuming you had just shifted out of park to reverse, was there any delay in the reverse engagement? Was it the normal amount of time, just hard?
Casper - Early 99' Upgraded to 99.5' F250 XLT SWB PSD, 4x4, GTP38R, Adrenalin, OE Swamps AD Injs, EBPV Delete, Perf Friction 2-pcs rotors, 4" MBRP turbo back, AFE, 6leaker OEM cooler, Detroit TruTrac, BTS, Lunar Autometer gauges, NVK4 w/(BTS Tunes/DP-F6C) 140vIDM, 238k mi
SVO Conversion Updated SVO stuff
Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
New User

So,, I went out to check the fluid... there wasnt any on the stick.. drove it around a bit, warmed everything up.. found a piece of level ground (hard to do here) still nothing.. I guess i put in about 2 quarts.. little less probably. drove it around again..

All hard shifting has gone away.. hard reverse no more.. anyway when it did that before it was the 'normal' amount of delay..

Basically same deal.. OD does work normal now.. BUT,, no 4th gear. I can go around with all kinds of power in 3 gears..

I apologize I can not tell you what the fluid smells like, I can not smell.. It is brownish but not gross like other transmissions I that were known bad... There are no filings or silver crap in it.. once I finally got some on the stick and drove around..
Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradicich View Post
OD does work normal now.. BUT,, no 4th gear. I can go around with all kinds of power in 3 gears..
Overdrive IS 4th gear.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 06-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Senior User

hhowell1990 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm currently in louisville, and have my OBDII scanner with me, it's not an AE, but can pull some ford specific codes that the scanners at auto parts stores can't pull. if it's not too far of a drive for you I'd be able to pull the codes for you and probably get some insight into the problem, if you're able to come up here before sunday morn. just PM me

2002 CCSB F-250, DP F5 chip No start, Stock, 60t, 80e, 120r, autometer z-series gauges, f650 dash, '05 tt mirrors, 6637 4" mbrp turbo-back exhaust, foil delete, AIC mod, 8.5 gallons of air and a Nathan K3HA
dynoed at 335hp and 705tq
Old 06-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Posting Guru

89LX306 has a good reputation on FTE.89LX306 has a good reputation on FTE.89LX306 has a good reputation on FTE.
I would get the codes read first and foremost. That WILL tell you something. After that I would drain the pan and look at the fluid and look for shavings in the pan. I had some very similar things happen to mine 3 weeks ago and I just installed my new transmission last night. Brown fluid is not a good thing in your transmission. My fluid had 20k miles on it and was toast. Reading the codes and a fluid drain/pan drop will tell you a lot IMO.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
04, 2003, 350, diesal, excursion, expedition, f150, ford, gear, gears, hard, high, park, reverse, shift, shifts, transmission, truck, wont