6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

CMP CKP no sync FICM information for sync = no

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:28 PM
cabinman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question CMP CKP no sync FICM information for sync = no

Quick question then. I have not been on the forum for a while and could use some suggestions. '04 - 6.0 liter but has '05 engine. Truck ran fine, parked it and now no start.

900-1000 PSI ICP
170-200 RPM
FICM main 48.0-49.5
FICM logic 11.5-12.5
battery 11.4 -12.4
camshaft sensor failure - 0 ( none detected )

Enhanced Powertrain CAN module - no response from module ?

Checked FICM relay 304 ( I believe that's the right number but the relay for the unit none the less. )

Cannot initiate any onboard test because there's some kind of failure for the KOEO tests.

This no start happened once before and I replaced the crank sensor.. Then it happened again and I wiggled the plug going to it and it fired and hasn't repeated this again for a year. I wiggled the harness in several locations including the end of the crank sensor plug but this time,, no dice. Any ideas from anyone ?

Old 06-20-2011, 05:45 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
If you are checking these through a plug-in module then I urge you to disconnect it and go back to stock. 03/04 engine harnesses are known to be problematic. Have you checked the cam sensor plugin?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:23 AM
cabinman
Senior User
Hi, thanks for the reply ! I am using the autoenginuity scanner to get my info, I haven't been running any chips etc for several years so it's bone stock in that respect.. Ahhh.. yes the harness, I think this is an electical gremlin also but mine is a mid '04- late '04 engine apparently ( ICP is on the valve cover ) so is that one of the trucks that is prone to the chaffing ? Do you know if PCM's go south very often ? As I mentioned, I am getting a no com to the enhanced powertrain module warning.. I did check the plug as best I could so far but I need to revisit that and re check. Any idea of how much a harness is and how long to swap ? It looks like a HUGE pain in the **** to unsnake it all only after removing a ton of stuff to get it in.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 PM
cabinman
Senior User
Weird.

So this morning I tried to fire it up, it started and runs absolutely horrible but overnight something happened apparently even though in both cases it was stone cold... Still having intermittent connection to the enhanced CAN with my AE.. ideas ?

Old 06-20-2011, 04:16 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by cabinman
So this morning I tried to fire it up, it started and runs absolutely horrible but overnight something happened apparently even though in both cases it was stone cold... Still having intermittent connection to the enhanced CAN with my AE.. ideas ?
One of our fine tech's usually shows up about this time of day that can answer the FICM sync/no sync questions better than I can. I'm not aware of any specific date with the 04's that the harness was changed but I know they have issues. Harnesses are around 3-400 bills and yes, they are a pain to install but very doable. Did you by chance double check the FICM plug-ins? Sometimes they are a pain to install and come loose or don't get "clicked" into place and cause immense problems.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:35 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Your sig says Edge w/ Attitude. Is that still on there? It intercepts signals to and from the PCM and may be interfering with AE's ability to connect to the PCM.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
got a 2 channel lab scope handy? if so let me know and I will gladly walk you threw how to really test cmp/ckp concerns.
If not I would suggest ohming out the cmp and ckp circuits.. if they test good move on to a load test. if all that passed let me know.
IMO another harness issue.
cmp and ckp circuits are shielded and not really repairable even if you were lucky enugh to find the open

Old 06-20-2011, 06:19 PM
cabinman
Senior User
Re Edge chip

Yes, my signature is indeed misleading. I used to run the edge but uninstalled it a couple of years ago because I didn't want to risk any warranty issues but thanks for the idea.. Maybe my truck is just mad at me because I looked at a new 2011 6.7 the day before ! That said, a tech at my local dealer told me of Problems trickling in on the new one as well. He just pulled two valves out of a piston on one of them and he's not the first one to do a dropped valve. That pretty much does it for me, no more Fords... Maybe a dodge, chevy or international will be in my yard soon. As a small biz owner, having an unreliable truck is not an option and I won't be helping Ford again with free r&d, that's suppOsed to happen PRE release

Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cabinman
, a tech at my local dealer told me of Problems trickling in on the new one as well. He just pulled two valves out of a piston on one of them and he's not the first one to do a dropped valve. That pretty much does it for me, no more Fords... Maybe a dodge, chevy or international will be in my yard soon.
this is a bit of misinformation. so if your going to spread gossip please do us all afavor and make sure its accurate.

there is a knowen issue of f450/f550 having this concern. the number of effected units is not that large I know of less then 20 accross the country. I have seen 2 come threw my dealer. Im doing one of them now.
lets just say my number is a very small sample. say its 10x that.. that would make 200 trucks out of over 250,000 units on the ground and running. To date this is the only major issue we have see.
there have been some issues with the nox system but all have been minor.

if you think dodge and gov'ment motor are doing better do some more looking.
also nternational does not have a light duty truck in the market.. iirc they start arounf 26k gvw

Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also worth noting that international built all of Ford's diesel engines prior to the 6.7

Old 06-20-2011, 10:28 PM
cabinman
Senior User
Yes.. the 7.3 too but if you ..

Originally Posted by Ian123
also worth noting that international built all of Ford's diesel engines prior to the 6.7

Yes the 7.3 too but if you check into things you will realize that the VT365 ( internationals name for their version of the 6.0 ) had A LOT less problems.. When my FICM went ( due to Fords crappy flashes which they have since fixed ) I went to international and checked their price, which was a lot less than Fords price and their region didn't even have a rate of sale, meaning, they don't go. The inductive heat strategy is one big reason they failed. So were low voltages but there was also a reason for this that I won't go into..

Old 06-20-2011, 10:40 PM
cabinman
Senior User
really ??

Lets see, there are apparently 250,000 rolling units as you say, you have seen 2 and one was just in my local dealership for repair.. Pretty crazy odds that 3 units ( at least ) went through 2 dealerships out of 200 bad ones..what are the odds !!?? Doesn't sound right to me.. I don't think that diesel tech is a liar, in fact I know he's not, so you shouldn't say things like that. If you want to compare the cummins with the 6.0 and 6.4 and can suggest with a straight face they are even in the same ballpark well then,, enough said. The cummins is one engine I can honestly say I don't hear anything bad about, not to mention my friend gets 23MPG in his truck, ( same as mine in size etc ) and I have never gotten better than 14.5.. And yes the international doesn't make a little truck but I tow a lot so I was thinking an FL70, which would make a great little tow'er and this option is getting more and more popular out where we are because they are way more industrial..
Anyway, if you're floating in the cash and are willing to throw the dice on an unproven engine, good for you. Most people don't have 65K hanging around to play with and see what happens. The 6.7 may well end up being great, time will tell but I won't be the guy to take yet another chance and have Ford constantly try to get out of repairing things. I still have a dent in my hood from when my turbo overboosted and blew my turbo pipe off and slammed into the hood.. They wouldn't cover it because it happened in my busy season and I couldn't afford to be without my truck even longer, so it didn't fit within their allotted time frame.. Seriously, that's just stupid. Again this has no reflection on the people on this forum that try to help. It's Fords issue and I am greatfull for the help I get from the techs.

Originally Posted by cheezit
this is a bit of misinformation. so if your going to spread gossip please do us all afavor and make sure its accurate.

there is a knowen issue of f450/f550 having this concern. the number of effected units is not that large I know of less then 20 accross the country. I have seen 2 come threw my dealer. Im doing one of them now.
lets just say my number is a very small sample. say its 10x that.. that would make 200 trucks out of over 250,000 units on the ground and running. To date this is the only major issue we have see.
there have been some issues with the nox system but all have been minor.

if you think dodge and gov'ment motor are doing better do some more looking.
also nternational does not have a light duty truck in the market.. iirc they start arounf 26k gvw

Old 06-20-2011, 10:47 PM
cabinman
Senior User
Yup :-)

I think you're right on in this post.. I remember on one of my later code scans that I got this morning that the cam sensor showed open.. So I guess I need to learn the procedure to test them. Please remember I already replaced the short sensor, which I think was the cam sensor ( maybe I am wrong on that one ).. From what I read, if it's the harness, getting it repaired is almost a waste of time because its shielded... I am going to pull that portion of the harness out as well. I already have half of it out now and am checking it with a fine toothed comb and magnifying glass. My harness actually looks pretty decent but I remember when I last changed that sensor that the wire had to be repaired as it went over the back of the engine. so I fixed it, wrapped it in aluminum foil tape to re shield it and so far that has worked.. now I have to see if it's the sensor or the wire.. Fun fun.

Oh and no.. no 2 channel lab scope but I have a fancy digital voltmeter that can do quite a bit. I need to check what it's capable of again..

No rest for the wicked apparently.

Michael

Originally Posted by cheezit
got a 2 channel lab scope handy? if so let me know and I will gladly walk you threw how to really test cmp/ckp concerns.
If not I would suggest ohming out the cmp and ckp circuits.. if they test good move on to a load test. if all that passed let me know.
IMO another harness issue.
cmp and ckp circuits are shielded and not really repairable even if you were lucky enugh to find the open

Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 AM
onebadpsd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey

Same problem,only mine idles fine. 03 6.0 stocker. Push the gas pedal and it runs like hell.