Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by missouguy
Do I climb up on the engine, pillows, or what? I sure don't want to step on anything important.

Thanks

Frank
Yes........use a step ladder, topside creeper, reach over the fenders or grille, use pillows if you need to, lay on something, get up onto your knees wherever you can, don't stick your knee into anything that might break, whatever it takes to get your hands in there ,(the engine valley area) with inspection mirror, and lighting into the valley area.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:35 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We're getting there. The only other thing is what is meant by "get in there"? Do I climb up on the engine, pillows, or what? I sure don't want to step on anything important.

Thanks

Frank
Do not lean on the HPOP cover that says "powerstroke" it WILL break. It might be just as easy to take it off.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:12 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts
Originally Posted by cps
Do not lean on the HPOP cover that says "powerstroke" it WILL break. It might be just as easy to take it off.
Yes, remove the plastic "powerstroke" cover... 12mm bolts I believe.

The rest.. jsut don't put too much direct pressure on sensors or plastic and your good. I put a step ladder in front, lay a blanket across the grill/radiator, and climb right on up. Use solid stuff (like alternator, valve covers,e tc) to support your weight. I'm 330#, so I can lay across the top without breaking anything... anyone can!

Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 PM
missouguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. I'll post on how it goes, or when I took it in.

Frank

Old 06-25-2011, 12:10 PM
missouguy
Elder User
Hey guys;

Well the good news is I think I found the leak. It is the one they "fixed" before. I will try and outline my problem:

There are two stainless braided lines from each head. They both go in right under the fuel filter holder. If that makes any sense. The one leaking is the one from the right head as you sit in the vehicle. I can see where they tightened it as part of the red gasket is torn. I think I need to take it out and replace the gasket and maybe put on a little blue loc -tite.

The problem is I can't get a wrench on it, and don't want to do a bunch of disassembly to get at it. Does anyone know the exact size? I think it is 17 or 18mm. Would a crow foot do it? Or maybe a line wrench. If anyone has had these off you could really help.

Sorry to run on so long, but I feel I am in the home stretch.

Frank

Old 06-26-2011, 04:13 PM
missouguy
Elder User
Just a bump, maybe you guys could help me out one more time.

Thanks

Frank

Old 06-26-2011, 10:20 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Hey guys;

Well the good news is I think I found the leak. It is the one they "fixed" before. I will try and outline my problem:

There are two stainless braided lines from each head. They both go in right under the fuel filter holder. If that makes any sense. The one leaking is the one from the right head as you sit in the vehicle. I can see where they tightened it as part of the red gasket is torn. I think I need to take it out and replace the gasket and maybe put on a little blue loc -tite.

The problem is I can't get a wrench on it, and don't want to do a bunch of disassembly to get at it. Does anyone know the exact size? I think it is 17 or 18mm. Would a crow foot do it? Or maybe a line wrench. If anyone has had these off you could really help.

Sorry to run on so long, but I feel I am in the home stretch.

Frank
I am a little confused about the gasket part. If you are talking about the oil feed lines coming from the HPOP to each head i don`t see where there is a gasket. I believe those lines just thread into each head. If that is leaking then i would unthread it and maybe put some liquid thead sealant on the middle part of the theads and reinstall. As for which size of wrench i am not sure, but i looks like you could get a crows foot in there without removing anything. Or one of those pivot head wrenches. I personelly would remove what i could to access it. Hope this helps. Roy

Old 06-26-2011, 11:32 PM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are looking at the HPOP hoses on the pump, they are sealed with o-rings and a special LocTite (LocTite 680) which is a retaining compound, not a thread sealer. Use the wrong LocTite and you could render your pump trash if you need to repair another leak in the future. The LocTite does about 80% of the sealing on the fitting but the fitting needs to be removed and cleaned oil film free so the LocTite can adhere to it. Cure time is critical for a long term repair. Most shops can not afford to tie up a service bay for 2 or 3 hours waiting for LocTite to partially cure.

HERE are the repair instructions for the kit I offer.

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
(970) 368-4455 aka guzzle
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website
Old 06-27-2011, 12:05 PM
missouguy
Elder User
That must be it. The line in the rear position has some red material sticking out and the other one the materal looks black. I thought these were gaskets. I will take them off and redo them as Ford should have I guess. I think they just tightened the fitting for the quick fix.

Thanks again all. I will let you know how it comes out.

Frank

Old 06-27-2011, 06:40 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by DieselOrings
If you are looking at the HPOP hoses on the pump, they are sealed with o-rings and a special LocTite (LocTite 680) which is a retaining compound, not a thread sealer. Use the wrong LocTite and you could render your pump trash if you need to repair another leak in the future. The LocTite does about 80% of the sealing on the fitting but the fitting needs to be removed and cleaned oil film free so the LocTite can adhere to it. Cure time is critical for a long term repair. Most shops can not afford to tie up a service bay for 2 or 3 hours waiting for LocTite to partially cure.

HERE are the repair instructions for the kit I offer.
Thanks for setting that problem straight, i took a guess.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:30 PM
missouguy
Elder User
Got 'er fixed. The O-rings from Bob did the job. Only problem now is a tiny leak around the IPR valve. Will tackle that in cooler weather. Not leaking bad. Guess that means draining the HPOP again. Dirty job.

Thanks for the help.

Frank