Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2011, 03:27 PM
New User

cliffhanger45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fluid for power steering 2001 ford expedition

I have a new leak in my power steering system, can not see any leak from top side but looking under seems somewhere in or around the lines right near the front. I need to clean off all lines etc and see if I can find said leak. Now it seems to be empty so I need to add fluid first. What kind is used in the 2001 expedition?? Then are there any good diagrams of this system? You can not see much under there, even the lines are all pressed up agents frame etc, could be a leak caused by rubbing just not sure. If I had a good diagram showing the lay out it might help to guide me. Thank you for any help.fficeffice" />>>
>>
Old 06-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Elder User

High_Horse is starting off with a positive reputation.
Part number AS260 small bottle AS261 large bottle for the fluid at Autozone.
Here's A-Z's diagram... Power Steering Pump | 2001 Ford Expedition 2WD 8 Cylinders L 5.4L EFI | AutoZone.com ...its basic but better than nothing. Your simply going to have to climb under and look.
I would suspect either the shaft seal or the line connection at the pump base. But it is possible your hose could be rubbing on a pulley. Where the lines run from the base of the pump up through by the frame there should be a wire loom retainer for those lines to keep them from the pulleys. I caught mine just in time greasing up the front. All you need to do is bend it away from the pulleys. But in your case you may need a new line which you can get for about $20 at most auto stores.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Elder User

High_Horse is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here's a nice detailed one if you like schematics... | Repair Guides | Variable Assist Power Steering System (2001) | Variable Assist Power Steering System (2001) | AutoZone.com
Old 06-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger45 View Post
What kind is used in the 2001 expedition?
Your owners manual says to use Motorcraft MERCON ATF in the power steering.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:58 PM
New User

Motorcraft MERCON ATF

That is what i thought but they no longer make Mercon ATF i am told.
Thank you.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:17 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Horse View Post
Part number AS260 small bottle AS261 large bottle for the fluid at Autozone.
Here's A-Z's diagram... Power Steering Pump | 2001 Ford Expedition 2WD 8 Cylinders L 5.4L EFI | AutoZone.com ...its basic but better than nothing. Your simply going to have to climb under and look.
I would suspect either the shaft seal or the line connection at the pump base. But it is possible your hose could be rubbing on a pulley. Where the lines run from the base of the pump up through by the frame there should be a wire loom retainer for those lines to keep them from the pulleys. I caught mine just in time greasing up the front. All you need to do is bend it away from the pulleys. But in your case you may need a new line which you can get for about $20 at most auto stores.
Not sure just yet but everything around the pump looks dry, only wet is right near the radiator where you can only see the two lines from the bottom. If you look from the top you see no wet on lines or any thing else at all, so there is only maybe a 6 inch area right at the driver side bottom front that shows wet, and the only thing there are 2 lines laying right next to each other, so close together you can not tell where the leak is. So i am thinking it is add fluid clean every spot that looks wet the run it and see what I can see. Funny I would think these were high pressure lines but they do not look like it, as they only have a light squeeze clamp you squeeze together and slide back and pull the wet rubber hose off the tubing.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger45 View Post
That is what i thought but they no longer make Mercon ATF i am told.
You were told correctly, instead use Mercon V ATF.

Ford Announces New Replacement Specs for Mercon ATF: aftermarket News

"Effective July 1, (2007) the production and licensing for MERCON will cease. Automatic transmissions, power steering systems and manual transmissions previously requiring MERCON must, as of July 1, (2007) be serviced with MERCON V."
Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2001, 46, 97, autozone, box, diagram, expedition, expedtion, fix, fluid, ford, leaks, power, pump, steering, string, system