Sponsored by: DP Tuner

oil leak question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:27 PM
slk133
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil leak question

Hey everyone I just baught a new to me 02 f 250 7.3, I have developed a oil leak on the top of the motor near the back running down on both sides of the tranny. So I thought it was the o rings on the pedistal and the turbo just changed both sets of o rings and it is still leaking. The leak is fairly big and its hard to tell where it is coming from. It still kinda looks like it leaking at the back of the pedistal, and kinda at the arm of the epbv. Could it be coming out of the arm area or is there a commom place where this would leak from?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes. It can be leaking from the EBPV piston seal and coming out the rod hole in the pedestal. This was where my first oil leak developed years ago and I quickly eliminated it with a non EBPV pedestal. You can get a piston rebuild kit, or "gut it" if you so desire.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:44 PM
slk133
Senior User
Originally Posted by mueckster
Yes. It can be leaking from the EBPV piston seal and coming out the rod hole in the pedestal. This was where my first oil leak developed years ago and I quickly eliminated it with a non EBPV pedestal. You can get a piston rebuild kit, or "gut it" if you so desire.
Would it be a fairley large leak if it was leaking from there? I went for about five miles and was stepping on it good then when I pulled in the shop there is about a third of a quart running down both sides of the tranny to the floor.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:53 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If the seal on the piston is in pretty bad shape, it could be bypassing quite a bit of oil as the PCM commands it to close the EBPV. I would disconnect the plug on the solenoid at the pedestal and see if the leak stops. That should tell you if piston is the origin of the leak.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same leak as Meuckster on my 2000 Excursion. I did the same and replaced the pedestal with a Non-EBPV pedestal. I live in South Dakota and both my 7.3L's have been fine during the winter months without the EBPV. But if you chose to keep the EBPV you can rebuild it with a kit from Riff-Raff DIesel.

Like Meuckster suggested, disconnect the plug and see if the leak stops. But first clean the area out real good with some simple green or engine cleaner. Also, one of the best tools to use in this procedure is a morror on a telescoping post - can be tough to see her leaking back there.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:30 PM
slk133
Senior User
Originally Posted by mueckster
If the seal on the piston is in pretty bad shape, it could be bypassing quite a bit of oil as the PCM commands it to close the EBPV. I would disconnect the plug on the solenoid at the pedestal and see if the leak stops. That should tell you if piston is the origin of the leak.
Tried it and it still leaks,but there is oil all over the rod then dripping down on the pedistal, so hard to tell but she is a big leak.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:37 PM
slk133
Senior User
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
I had the same leak as Meuckster on my 2000 Excursion. I did the same and replaced the pedestal with a Non-EBPV pedestal. I live in South Dakota and both my 7.3L's have been fine during the winter months without the EBPV. But if you chose to keep the EBPV you can rebuild it with a kit from Riff-Raff DIesel.

Like Meuckster suggested, disconnect the plug and see if the leak stops. But first clean the area out real good with some simple green or engine cleaner. Also, one of the best tools to use in this procedure is a morror on a telescoping post - can be tough to see her leaking back there.
Its hard to tell looks like it is either the pedistal or the ebpv rod it shoots oil all over passenger side up pipe and into the top part of the valley and around the base of the pedistall .When the truck is idleing it doesnt seem to leak ,but if you ripp up and down the road stepping on it it will leak good.

Last edited by slk133; 06-17-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-17-2011, 11:39 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
There are two sets of O rings IIRC. One connecting the turbo to the pedestal and one set the pedestal to the block. Did you change both out with new O rings?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:48 PM
slk133
Senior User
There are two sets of O rings IIRC. One connecting the turbo to the pedestal and one set the pedestal to the block. Did you change both out with new O rings?
Yes did that tonight and used genuine orings on the turbo and the pedistal. I thought that is what it was, but no.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:01 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Do you think one of the O rings could have gotten pinched or not seated correctly? I would clean the area out re good again and see if you can find the origin of the leak. You might need to remove the turbo and get the rebuild kit. Also check the HPOP lines to make sure the leak isn't from one of those.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:15 AM
slk133
Senior User
Do you think one of the O rings could have gotten pinched or not seated correctly? I would clean the area out re good again and see if you can find the origin of the leak. You might need to remove the turbo and get the rebuild kit. Also check the HPOP lines to make sure the leak isn't from one of those.
The hpop lines are near the front of the motor( there is a fuel line that is near the back and is close to the spot) and it is dry, I double checked the orings to make sure they were good, thinking it's either the pedistal or maybe a crack some where (anyone heard of a crack).

Old 06-18-2011, 05:58 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
If it's running down both sides of the tranny it's pretty much got to be the pedestal to block o-ring on the pressure side as any ebpv leak will only run out the weep hole on the pass. Side. Also check the high pressure plugs on the oil logs as they have o-rings too!

Old 06-18-2011, 07:20 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
slk133,

check out the link to this thread. Skip described a similar situation that turned out to be a fitting. I was going to copy and past the pics to your thread but it's probably better you see it all.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ion-7-3-a.html

Old 06-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Calli
Senior User

[QUOTE=mueckster;10473232]Yes. It can be leaking from the EBPV piston seal and coming out the rod hole in the pedestal. This was where my first oil leak developed years ago and I quickly eliminated it with a non EBPV pedestal. You can get a piston rebuild kit, or "gut it" if you so desire.[/QUOT

Just for information: According to Guzzle (Bob) the non EBPV pedestal will not fit early '99. I had pedestal O Ring leak and was going to replace while i had everything tore apart. Although you can gut and plug it.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:11 AM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
You can get an early 99 pedestal but it is different than the 99 1/2 - 03 as the early 99's used a shorter pedestal.

Unfortunately, I am out of stock on the early 99 pedestals currently. Garrett is slow to ship these items.

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
(970) 368-4455 aka guzzle
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website

Quick Reply: oil leak question