Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Senior User

2FordTrucks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wont go into Park

We had the Excursion parked untill we can get the thing up to have the radiator flushed and new thermostat put in. But we had to drive it today. Had no choice. Well, To our surprise the truck wont go into park. You can shift it untill the needle goes into the "P" like always but the truck will roll and go "click, click, click" as it rolls. It wont start either (guessing due to neutral safety switch). I got under the truck, everything seems tight, I tried to put it in park from the lever on the side of the transmission but it will not move any further. Could the whole neutral safety switch be bad and not fully putting the transmission in park? I can pull it down to neutral to start it and it goes into all gears and moves just fine.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Postmaster

jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
Look under your steering wheel column you might find a couple of torx screws loose.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Postmaster

LivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FordTrucks View Post
We had the Excursion parked untill we can get the thing up to have the radiator flushed and new thermostat put in. But we had to drive it today. Had no choice. Well, To our surprise the truck wont go into park. You can shift it untill the needle goes into the "P" like always but the truck will roll and go "click, click, click" as it rolls. It wont start either (guessing due to neutral safety switch). I got under the truck, everything seems tight, I tried to put it in park from the lever on the side of the transmission but it will not move any further. Could the whole neutral safety switch be bad and not fully putting the transmission in park? I can pull it down to neutral to start it and it goes into all gears and moves just fine.
Stop Sweating, common problem with ford. This is just an adjustment under your dash by steering column.

1) use emergency brake
2) Drop access panel for fuse box
3) look up there while someone moves shifter lever
4) you will see the cable moving
5) adjust cable so shifter is in neutral or any other than park and tighten 2 torx screws
05 LTD 4x4, PSD, ARP, Tuner, Cat Delete, K&N CAI,4" Exhaust w 6" SS Tip, 5" Lift, air bags & RAS, 35's Terra Grapplers on Fuel Wheels, Bilstein 5100's with Dual stabilizers, Twin air, train horn, Amp Research, Rigid Industries, F&R Mag Hytec, Pioneer Nav, 2010 OEM mirrors, DC 320 amp, Blue spring...02 LTD 4X4, V10 Sold
"I bought a 6.0 PSD and I'm not afraid"
Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Posting Guru

gr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLarge View Post
5) adjust cable so shifter is in neutral or any other than park and tighten 2 torx screws
Yep, except if it's gotten this loose, at least one of those two torx screws is probably sitting on the floor mat.

Scott
2000 Excursion XLT 4x4 V10 4.30, BTS tranny, 6.0L tranny cooler, Scan Gauge II, 285/75/16 BFG AT KOs, ProComp springs 22210 front and 22415 rear, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Powerslot slotted rotors w/ Hawk SuperDuty pads up front, Hawk SuperDuty pads on the rear stock rotors, Optima Red Top Battery, 05 headlights, F250 grill (In the 200k club now!)
Old 06-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Senior User

Found the torx head screws. They were loose. I put the truck in neutral and tightend them. That did'nt do anything. I pulled it down to 1, put tension on the cable and retightend. It now will hold the truck in park but still wont start in park. I wonder if the neutral safety switch is bad or did I not do the proper adjustment?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Posting Guru

gr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FordTrucks View Post
Found the torx head screws. They were loose. I put the truck in neutral and tightend them. That did'nt do anything. I pulled it down to 1, put tension on the cable and retightend. It now will hold the truck in park but still wont start in park. I wonder if the neutral safety switch is bad or did I not do the proper adjustment?
I would keep adjusting it.

Scott
2000 Excursion XLT 4x4 V10 4.30, BTS tranny, 6.0L tranny cooler, Scan Gauge II, 285/75/16 BFG AT KOs, ProComp springs 22210 front and 22415 rear, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Powerslot slotted rotors w/ Hawk SuperDuty pads up front, Hawk SuperDuty pads on the rear stock rotors, Optima Red Top Battery, 05 headlights, F250 grill (In the 200k club now!)
Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Senior User

When I say I adjusted it I had the truck in 1st, and pulled on the bracket that the torx screws hold. I pulled it towards the passenger side. Maybe I should have pulled it the other way? Any other adjustments I should make?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Senior User

Well, oddest thing. I made all those adjustments. The screws were lose so I tightend them all up and it did nothing. I waited untill this morning and I was going to take the cable lose from the neutral safety switch on the trans and put the truck in park and then try it. Well, after taking it in to have the cooling system flushed the tech left it in park and I was able to start it in park. I tested it three more times and it worked. Maybe it just needed to go thru the gears after the adjustment. The lever seems off a little but it works so i'm not going to complain.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.
I need to tighten my torx bolts, I've removed the fuse cover but
can't see them. You didn't remove anything except the fuse cover?

I've seen a picture from underneath, but it was so zoomed in I
could identify where it was.
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 06-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Postmaster

LivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputation
Stick your head in there and have someone else move lever for you...
Make sure your e brake is on.
05 LTD 4x4, PSD, ARP, Tuner, Cat Delete, K&N CAI,4" Exhaust w 6" SS Tip, 5" Lift, air bags & RAS, 35's Terra Grapplers on Fuel Wheels, Bilstein 5100's with Dual stabilizers, Twin air, train horn, Amp Research, Rigid Industries, F&R Mag Hytec, Pioneer Nav, 2010 OEM mirrors, DC 320 amp, Blue spring...02 LTD 4X4, V10 Sold
Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.
ok, will let my wife "help" that'll make her feel better
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 06-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Senior User

You may have to remove that panel the is above the brake pedal. If you hold a flashlight up there and then reach up and move the lever with your other hand you'll see it. I had a hard time seeing them untill I did that.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky6.0 View Post
ok, will let my wife "help" that'll make her feel better
Bonding is good.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
04, 1999, 2005, 2008, adjustment, drive, excursion, f150, f250, ford, neutral, park, safety, shift, start, truck, wont