Sponsored by: DP Tuner

The 99 is smoking again.. Why?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:08 PM
EMD_DRIVER
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The 99 is smoking again.. Why?!?!

My problems started, soon after I bought the truck. The PO ran WVO in it and I run a WMO blend. Soon after putting my fuel in the truck, the WMO blend cleaned the VO residue from the fuel system and some of it had the FPR plunger stuck open. I only had 16PSI of fuel pressure and ended up starving two sets of injectors and having several hang slightly open. I had bought a core set of AD injectors and planned to use them to buy some new ones. I ended up having to put them in the truck, to run them as long as I could.

Last Thursday, I bought and installed the new set of AD injectors and everything seemed great. Went camping and after around 200 miles, it started smoking again and getting worse.

I have 62PSI fuel pressure at the test port, close to the #1 injector. IPR at idle, is 8% and ICP at idle is 480. It really smokes bad at low RPMs and I have no idea what else to check, not to mention the serious lack of funds.

The fuel I'm running is about 95% diesel, so I know the oil isn't too thick in the fuel.

If anyone has any ideas I can try, please let me know..

P.S. and an update..

Yesterday, I decided to try using the Evo tuner on the truck. I've had the truck tuned for towing and that's when it started smoking. I then tried it on the race tune and it still smoked. It smoked worse, when I put it back to stock.

When I got off work yesterday, I changed the tune to the Evo's extreme tune. I've only tried it once before, and didn't like the EGT spiking like it did.

Anyway... Once I was done tuning it, I left. The truck would roll coal at the drop of a hat! I didn't even need much throttle. I must have left a cloud of thick black smoke for at least a half a mile. Once that was over with, the truck stopped smoking completely. I could make it roll coal if I wanted to, but I was enjoying it not smoking for a change. I put 36 miles on it, coming home from work yesterday and another 75 miles today. That's about 110 miles, smoke free. It does still have a small bit of smoke at idle, but I'm used to that from both trucks anyway. It's nothing like the light gray clouds of smoke it was making!

If it starts it again, I'll report back.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:25 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck ring maybe?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 PM
EMD_DRIVER
More Turbo

Originally Posted by hotroddsl
Stuck ring maybe?

I really don't think so. It seems as though it will go around 200 miles after injector work and start smoking again. It's even smoking with a brand new set of injectors... Not remans..

Old 06-18-2011, 04:25 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Mean piston ring, not injector o ring, hanging up ( carbon fouled) the way you described after putting the screws to it on a heavy fuel tune ie high chamber temp fuel wash and time you ran that you just could have got lucky and freed it up! However those same reasons are probably why it got excess carbon in the ring lands anyway careful with heavy fuel tunes they have consequences unless you can burn it ALL don't inject it!!!!!

Old 06-18-2011, 07:19 AM
EMD_DRIVER
More Turbo

Originally Posted by hotroddsl
I Mean piston ring, not injector o ring, hanging up ( carbon fouled) the way you described after putting the screws to it on a heavy fuel tune ie high chamber temp fuel wash and time you ran that you just could have got lucky and freed it up! However those same reasons are probably why it got excess carbon in the ring lands anyway careful with heavy fuel tunes they have consequences unless you can burn it ALL don't inject it!!!!!

I just couldn't understand how I could have a stuck ring.. I know anything is possible. I am taking it a lot easier on it now, with the extreme tune. It smokes some at idle now, but it's a lot darker gray than before. I'm hoping it's just the tune. I have a fuel leak at the bowl and will be fixing it this morning. Once done, I'm going to de-tune it and try it out.

The biggest thing I don't understand, is why it starts smoking again within 250 miles of injector work. It's like clockwork!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 PM
EMD_DRIVER
More Turbo

A small update....

I waited until I was down below a quarter of a tank of fuel and filled it up with fuel from a different source. I also returned the truck to the stock tune. The truck still smoked for a few minutes, but then it lessened. I'm thinking I might have gotten a bad batch of diesel, when I was in PA last week.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this!