Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD ATF FLUID CHANGE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:37 PM
BEER TIME
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD ATF FLUID CHANGE?

I have read the article by Mark kovalsky and was wondering who has done this with great results. it Sounds simple enough but i am wondering doesnt the new fluid mix with the old or is it to minor to worry about. I want to do this my self since garages around here want 175-230 for this service. I hoping this helps out my tranny since I over heated it and need it to last as long as possible. All the gears are there but theres about a 2 second delay in reverse. Any other Help would be greatly appreciated since Im not real handy when it comes to trannys but I'm good at turning a wrench!

Thanks this forum has helped me out so far!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:43 PM
mobyrich
Trailering
Smile E4OD Fluid change

Just did mine last Sat. 94 5.8 E4OD. Jacked up high enough with jack stands in place for safety so truck tips back for drainage purposes. Removed rubber dust plug, turned engine over (friend) until plug is in center of hole remove plug and drain into good sized pan. Then remove bolts from trans. pan leaving bolts closest to the motor in. Then loosen the back of the pan gently, as you loosen the front bolts more the pan will open more, you won't forget catch pan rite? After you drain all of the fluid, the more you drain out the lighter the pan, pull off the filter more fluid will come out then check the round magnet take out and clean it making note of where it was. I did not take off the cooler lines and blow them out which I should have, but I did drain out 14 measured Qts. I also ran the selecter thru all the positions OF COURSE MOTOR IS NOT RUNNING. Then reverse procedure let down truck and refill to cold line. be patient it takes a while start it up then check it out a buch of times to get it on the line. OH, use a cork gasket filter is for a deep pan. Have fun.....of course a lift makes it a lot easier.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:44 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,157 Likes on 915 Posts
Originally Posted by BEER TIME
I have read the article by Mark kovalsky and was wondering who has done this with great results. it Sounds simple enough but i am wondering doesnt the new fluid mix with the old or is it to minor to worry about. I want to do this my self since garages around here want 175-230 for this service. I hoping this helps out my tranny since I over heated it and need it to last as long as possible. All the gears are there but theres about a 2 second delay in reverse. Any other Help would be greatly appreciated since Im not real handy when it comes to trannys but I'm good at turning a wrench!

Thanks this forum has helped me out so far!
It's too minor to worry about. I have used this procedure several times with great results.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:55 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
a delay in reverse is common with the pre- '95 E40D's.
in '95 they updated the pump for higher volume and this cures the issue.however if your E40D is built before '95 a delay in reverse is not a concern.
however the trans should be flushed regularly anyway.when you change the fluid to try and fix a problem,this means you neglected the trans.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:47 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
It's easily done, especially if you have an extra set of hands.

Buy a 5 gallon bucket of tranny fluid [make sure it is NOT type F], disconnect the tranny cooler return line [the rearmost line that hooks into the tranny], clamp a hose onto the return line to control where the fluid is being dumped into.

If you have a friend, have them start the motor. Wait until you see fluid start dumping out of the hose, and then simply start dumping fluid back into the transmission. Do this until you've gone thru all 5 gallons of fluid, then kill the motor. At some point, have said friend cycle through every gear to change fluid that would otherwise normally be left behind.

If you don't have a friend, follow the same procedure. However, watch fluid dump out of the hose until it stops. When it stops, kill the motor, and top off with more fluid. And again, at some point make sure you cycle through the gears.

If you want to change the filter, wait for fluid to stop pumping out of the hose, drop the pan and install new filter, then continue with procedure.

It's really not as complicated as it sounds, and like I said, if you have a friend available to start and stop the motor, it becomes even easier.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:02 AM
BEER TIME
Freshman User
Thanks alot guys! Sounds easy enough! I bought this truck for plowing last year and have only put on 1000 miles since I've owned it so I didnt neglect it but Im trying to put a bandade on!