S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

All Food Thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:29 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking All Food Thread!!!

*Disclaimer: Do not read or go through the thread if you are hungry. It will cause instant stomach growling, increased appetite, uncontrollable mouth watering, talking to oneself about why you are not enjoying the foods you are seeing, jealousy, and other possible side affects.

Having a good amount of time on my hands now that my summer has started I've been really into Yelp, and yelping about restaurants, grocery stores, car shops, and just about any other place that I go to. (for those of you not familiar with it Los Angeles Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors )

I have also been watching a lot of food oriented shows on the Travel Channel (i.e. Man vs. Food, Anthony Bourdain, Bizarre Foods, not a fan of the guy though..he's annoying) to the Food Network, to Top Chef on Bravo. Also I've started to get really into cooking my own foods, more cuz it's cheaper than eating out....these days it's not just the college kids eatin Top Ramen, Frozen dinners, or Easy Mac, and like they say, it is heathier...usually

This will be the place to post:

-Pics and reviews of your food adventures and places you'd recommend in SoCal....please feel free to post about all food genres: american, mexican, japanese, chinese, german, indian, cuban, and even those hot new food trucks that are trending right now...or whatever else, I know personally I like to try new places and foods but am always a little timid if I haven't heard any reviews or if I don't know someone else who has tried it.

-Show off your own cooking/grilling/BBQing/Smoking/Baking/Sauteing/Broiling and whatever other cooking talents you have I would also like to include growing your own foods into this category. Having a green thumb is a talent so feel free to show off those home grown fruits/veges or whatever edible things you got...please refrain(and don't be stupid enough) to show pics of other "plants" you might grow

-And post some Recipes. Now I'm not expecting you to post grandma's secret recipes, but even at least some tips on what you have learned and can pass along to others...such as cooking temps, seasonings to try...just those little tips that could make that one meal so much simpler and tastier.

Please enjoy
-Steph

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Here we go

French Onion soup. One of the recipes I learned when my mom and I attended a cooking class that was taught by one of the seasonal chef's from Spaghettini in Seal Beach.

One of my own creations: used a mini sourdough bowl from The Original Fish Company in Los Alamitos (toasted and buttered), leftover steak from the night before, over easy egg, sliced tomato and onion.

Senior year in HS took cooking. One day a past student returned to give a cooking demo. This is the Bruschetta recipe that is made by that restaurant in Disneyland right next to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride..forgot the name of it but the one that always smells so good like garlic and past. It is sliced bread (sourdough or french flutes both work) that is brushed with a mix of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then is the fresh tomato topping: fresh tomatoes de-seeded, sundried tomatoes in a olive oil mixture, fresh basil, salt(I prefer sea salt), pepper. The white stuff is goat cheese...I really like it and the tartness and creamy texture add a good contrast to the tomato mixture and crisp bread (better personally when the bread is still warm)

This recipe I do just to taste and depending on if it's just for me or for a group, depends on how many tomatoes I use. Also the recipe your supposed to add olive oil, but I prefer to use the oil from the sundried tomatoes jar that I pour into the tomato mixture.

Some shrimp that I grilled and a salmon that we put on a cedar plank on the grill

Old 06-16-2011, 04:15 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Of course, this is not the first thread we've had about cooking stuff. For instance:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9287145

And who could ever forget Bacon Explosion? Didn't Serge do that one?

Pop

Old 06-16-2011, 05:43 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Of course, this is not the first thread we've had about cooking stuff. For instance:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9287145

And who could ever forget Bacon Explosion? Didn't Serge do that one?

Pop
There's a food truck called Bacon Mania BACON MANia | OC Food Truck

Old 06-16-2011, 05:54 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never seen Bacon Mania...I'll keep my eyes peeled

Another bacon-themed truck is Lardon LARDON | Fo' Sizzle! I wish they would make it down this way a little more often. They're up in The Valley or out on The Westside mostly.

I like their "Baco" - potatoes & cheddar wrapped in a bacon shell with horseradish sour cream.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:59 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Serrano chiles that I've grown...I'll get pick of jalapeño's once I start getting those in

One of the weirder looking lemons's from one of my trees....we have one lisbon lemon tree and then some kinda Frankenstein citrus tree that has meyer lemons, bear limes, mandarin oranges, and 2 other things.

Variety of sushi from our favorite sushi spot called Teriyaki Hut in Los Alamitos. We've also had them cater some sushi trays for parties we've had.

Some amazing new sea salt and spices my parents brought back for me from Nevis. The one on the far right is really hot...and for me to say that is sayin somethin.

The Dos Chinos food truck that did a private dinner party for my cousins birthday.

Oahu Shrimp taco

Bolsa Pork taco

Garden Grove short rib

Dos Chinos Fries

All the things I tried were pretty good in the taco form and burrito form.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:02 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
I've never seen Bacon Mania...I'll keep my eyes peeled

Another bacon-themed truck is Lardon LARDON | Fo' Sizzle! I wish they would make it down this way a little more often. They're up in The Valley or out on The Westside mostly.

I like their "Baco" - potatoes & cheddar wrapped in a bacon shell with horseradish sour cream.
They occasionally attend the Los Alamitos Picnic @ The Plaza every thursday night from like 5-8 in the Parking lot of the US Bank across from the race track/Costco area

Old 06-16-2011, 07:13 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Baked Potato soup that I also learned from HS cooking class

Makin an omelet

Spinach dip in sourdough bread bowl

This coming week I'll be making some ceviche so I'll make sure I get picks of that

Old 06-16-2011, 08:13 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

On June 25th, English Springer Rescue America is attending this as a vendor:
NoHoFoodFest

The trucks in attendance will be:
GourmetFoodTrucks

So, I'll be getting a lot of exposure to quite a few upscale Roach Coaches.

Here's what it looked like last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl4pv...embedded#at=22

Pop

Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
On June 25th, English Springer Rescue America is attending this as a vendor:
NoHoFoodFest

The trucks in attendance will be:
GourmetFoodTrucks

So, I'll be getting a lot of exposure to quite a few upscale Roach Coaches.

Here's what it looked like last year:
YouTube - ‪NoHo Food Truck Festival‬‏

Pop
That's cool I've tried The Greasy Weiner, and Baby's Badass Burgers.. those were pretty good. I've heard of the some of the others but haven't tried them yet. I'd suggest taking the time to review each of their menu's and kinda have an idea of what you'll get cuz it can be overwhelming if you don't know what you want and then you can go directly to the trucks you wanna try and not have to hopefully wait too long in the lines.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:37 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

I'll be there for all ten hours (including set-up and tear-down), so I'll definitely have time to try what I want to.

Pop

Old 06-16-2011, 10:27 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
I'll be there for all ten hours (including set-up and tear-down), so I'll definitely have time to try what I want to.

Pop
Nice

Old 06-16-2011, 10:29 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Steph, I think you and I are gonna get along just fine

Old 06-16-2011, 10:40 PM
DieselHardware
Elder User
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65