Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

7.3 idi starts greatcold once hot will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cody, that sounds like leaking HPOP system. The leaks "seal" them selves when the stuff is cold(also the oil is thicker) and it starts, when the engine warms up the fittings in the HPO system expand and the oil gets thinner when warm. that combination will cause a VERY hard start when or as in your case a no start when warm.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Dara Nix
New User
Originally Posted by Aune163rd
Do this to the injection pump and tell me your results:

Get her started and up to operating temperature....good warm so that the IP is warm. Shut it off....pour cold water on the injection pump to cool it off really good. Then try starting it.
This sounds exactly like the problem my nephew is having with his truck. So now I have to ask the silly question -- WHERE is the injector pump? He wants to see if this will work for him....

His is a 2005 F250 Turbo Diesel V8.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:29 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 516 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Dara Nix
This sounds exactly like the problem my nephew is having with his truck. So now I have to ask the silly question -- WHERE is the injector pump? He wants to see if this will work for him....

His is a 2005 F250 Turbo Diesel V8.
No injector pump on an 05, this engine is a totally different animal.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:56 PM
jcksnghst
New User
Stupid mistake, ran pump dry

This is an old thread but I hope y'all are still around... I Never had one problem with this truck cranking until I change the glow plugs and left the fuel filter fuel fuel line off and drove it to the store. On coming back one tank ran out and and you switch to other tank and took a long time coasting until it picked up fuel and started the engine. Now it has the symptoms mentioned in this thread. It will start cold but will not even get really what I consider warm but it will not start. It can be pulled off and it will start immediately. Question, could I have damaged the pump?

Old 04-25-2018, 02:51 PM
Scott in TX
Tuned
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
glad to have you on board, sorry to hear about your problems,

what truck / engine / turbo / modifications from the original fuel system do you have ?

I'm confused, if you left the fuel line off how did it get any fuel to run the engine ?

What are you pulling off to make it start immediately?

Old 04-25-2018, 04:00 PM
jcksnghst
New User
Originally Posted by Scott in TX
glad to have you on board, sorry to hear about your problems,

what truck / engine / turbo / modifications from the original fuel system do you have ?

I'm confused, if you left the fuel line off how did it get any fuel to run the engine ?

What are you pulling off to make it start immediately?
Thank you, I thought I had already joined but apparently/obviously I was mistaken. There is a wealth of knowledge to be had here.
The truck in question is a one-owner completely stock f250 1992 7.3 IDI. When changing the glow plugs the fuel line going from the fuel filter to the injector line is in the way and I removed it at the point it connects to the injector line. How it was I able to run I have no idea as I'm sure you are wondering how in the world did it keep fuel. At any rate, it did run and I drove it to the store and actually turned it off and it restarted after I came out and seen "Diesel steam" coming from under the hood. Not knowing exactly what was going on after raising the hood and seeing fuel everywhere restarted the truck and drove it home and on the way home, which was about a two-mile Drive, it dump about a third of a tank out of this hose. As stated above when that fuel had run out of that tank I switched to the front tank and it took about 15 seconds before it caught Prime, if you will, and the engine started running again. I reattach the hose and thought all was well as I started it and drove it to a friend's house the next day. It would not start at my friend's house until we hooked it to his truck and he pulled it maybe 3 ft with the clutch out and it started right up. While at his house I disconnected the injector lines thinking it may have air in the system and I also opened the **** valve on the bottom of the fuel filter for a brief second to make sure they was fuel there.
What's confusing is how it would not start with the starter but started almost immediately when being "pulled off". This as you can imagine is very confusing and I thank you for any and all advice / help.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:33 PM
FORD MEGA CAB!!!
Elder User
I think you’re describing the return line. Is it just a rubber or braided hose or a metal line? If it goes to the side of the plastic caps over the injectors, it is a return line.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:06 PM
jcksnghst
New User
It was the braided line going from injector lines to top of filter that attaches beside the front passenger side injector. Of course the fuel could have been being dumped from the injector lines necessarily the line coming from the filter....

Old 04-25-2018, 05:48 PM
jcksnghst
New User
The more I tinker with it and think about it it may be the valve that works the dual tanks? As I said above it ran all of the fuel out of the rear tank that it could, as neither tank has been harpooned, and I put about 2 gallons in the rear tank and when I switched to the rear to see how much it brought the gauge up it actually stayed above half a tank which is where the front tank was reading. I can hear the actuator to the fuel tank valve clicking but the needle does not go down it actually goes up and then we'll settle back to where the front tank level is.
It's very perplexing as that truck would crank on the coldest days with bad glow plugs and then whatever I did, whether it be running out of fuel on the rear tank or the return line being off allowing air into the system, has it fubar compared to the reliability previously known.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:51 PM
jcksnghst
New User
By the way it is a new injector pump. I am thinking about taking the fuel filter off and seeing if it is pumping fuel?

Old 04-25-2018, 11:34 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 516 Likes on 250 Posts
You starter might be getting tired. My 90 got so it didn't want to fire up when it was warmed up, but would fir up within ten feet if pulled started. I put a new starter on and the problem went away. The new starter sounded like it was going to spin the engine out of the truck.LOL

Old 04-27-2018, 05:11 AM
jcksnghst
New User
Originally Posted by farmert
You starter might be getting tired. My 90 got so it didn't want to fire up when it was warmed up, but would fir up within ten feet if pulled started.
That's a good lead, ty!

Old 03-07-2021, 03:41 AM
Smitten2017
New User
Originally Posted by Jeff Watts
Could be. When it's hot, turn on the key, and pull the wires off of the solenoid. There should be an audible clicking.
ok.. I know you won't agree but I am almost positive that it's your starter. When its cold it's within spec. But when it heats up it pulls too much power and it takes it away from the IP. That s why it will pull start fine.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:29 AM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
1 or 2 things either Starting system or worn out IP.... Old thread so I'm sure they got it fixed.