Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 AM
Elder User

sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.
Sandfiend
commercial vs private registration ?

I don't know if this has been asked on here or not.
Im in so cal. i have a 02 f250 sd 4door. my registration show's it is only $59. BUT im also charged a $281 weight fee.. From what i have read so far is, That the fee is only charged for trucks over 8500 LBS and more.. or if your truck is registered as commercial. my truck is 6500 LBS if i read the tag right.. .. Has anyone changed their registration to private ?? How did you do it ??
Old 06-16-2011, 12:48 AM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
In CA all trucks are registered commercial automatically. You may register it noncommercial but you will have to put a camper shell on it.

And dont think you can get away with just taking the shell off later, the license plates are different

Commercial: 1A11111
NonCommercial: 1AAA111

1=Number
A=Letter
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 06-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Post Fiend

85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
Has to be more than a shell, but you are correct, it has to be PERMANENT.

RANT: Why do people keep asking these questions here when the DMV site has the answers?

Page 20 here talks about registering a new vehicle:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_...ia_dealers.pdf

Section E is the application to change your vehicle from commercial to auto registration after you certify it's change to "human habitation":

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256a.pdf

RANT II: You want to drive a truck? Pay the registration like the rest of us. I'm paying it on a lot lighter truck than yours.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod View Post
RANT: Why do people keep asking these questions here when the DMV site has the answers?
Probably because I referred him to the friendly folks in the SoCal chapter when he posted this question in the Super Duty forum. I thought he might get a better response and some friendly advice from folks in his own area.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 AM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65 View Post
In CA all trucks are registered commercial automatically. You may register it noncommercial but you will have to put a camper shell on it.

And dont think you can get away with just taking the shell off later, the license plates are different

Commercial: 1A11111
NonCommercial: 1AAA111

1=Number
A=Letter
Treys answer is a good one, especially the plate info. However, a shell alone won't do it unless you add enough equipment to make it habitable. The exemption is really only practical for big slide-in campers and chassis mounted class C motorhomes. In fact, the code refers to these vehicles as "housecars".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_fiend View Post
Has anyone changed their registration to private ?? How did you do it ??
I would never do it, unless my vehicle was dedicated to camping as I described above. You can try to play the system with non-dedicated campers, but if you EVER take the camper off, you will stick out like a comet to all LEO everywhere you go.

BTW, you are getting off cheap compared to some of us. Enjoy it while you can.

Quote:
Section E is the application to change your vehicle from commercial to auto registration after you certify it's change to "human habitation":

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256a.pdf
We could afford to be just a little nicer to new guys, but the link above is a good one. Not only does it explain what is required to be a housecar, note that it asks you the value of the housecar after you added the camper? Why do you suppose they want to know that? Answer - because you will pay use tax each year on the new combined value of the camper and truck. Unless you perjure yourself, that kind of takes any financial gain out of this idea.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 06-16-2011, 02:41 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Yes. I did misinform about the camper shell. It does have to be inhabitable, ie CAMPER, not CAMPER SHELL.. Sorry for confusion.
- Trey PAA Member #110
My How-To Video Library
Old 06-18-2011, 12:30 AM
Post Fiend

85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
OK points taken here. I didn't need to voice irritation here, no harm done asking the questions. I shall exile myself to a brand x site until I get my belly full of the nonsense and low standards over there and learn to appreciate FTE.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Post Fiend

BradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud ofBradyCouchman has much to be proud of
i got around that in my truck by registering it as a historical vehicle. but now i can only use it for club activities, parades, car shows that kind of thinks. but i have a very liberal understanding of club activities......
Old 06-20-2011, 01:59 AM
Too old to be too smart..

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
I shall exile myself to a brand x site until I get my belly full of the nonsense and low standards over there and learn to appreciate FTE.
Naaa, don't do that!

Just pay your penance.

Make the check out to "SpringerPop" and send c/o Bricks & Company, Southland, SoCal 92123

We'll do the rest!

Our motto: "Don't go away mad, just go away!"

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Post Fiend

ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.
What about "rant 3" why the heck do we have to overpay in taxes so much as it is? Heck I refuse to drive anything "new" and I am still annoyed at the tax they make us pay yearly on the things. I'd have a heart attack if I actually claculated what guys driving the newer stupid-doodies had to pay.
long bed & 1974 Ford F100 Supercab - 2wds
1974 Ford F250 4x4 Crew cab
thread in "motor swap" forum
1989 Ford Ranger= Never gonna be done...
1972 Alfa Romeo GTV & 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4wd = DD
Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Postmaster

turbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754 View Post
What about "rant 3" why the heck do we have to overpay in taxes so much as it is? Heck I refuse to drive anything "new" and I am still annoyed at the tax they make us pay yearly on the things. I'd have a heart attack if I actually claculated what guys driving the newer stupid-doodies had to pay.
I resemble that remark.

'08 Super Duty 6.4, '61 Unibody, '63 T-bird, '66 Mustang
'76 F750 Firetruck, '83 F150, '74 F-1004x4 shrtbx
And not enough time to drive 'em.
Marc
Be like Steve
Old 06-20-2011, 09:33 PM
9 ECHO 1

Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator
- Trey PAA Member #110
My How-To Video Library
Old 06-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Too old to be too smart..

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
It's eleven model years old, but it still costs a bunch to license and insure my SuperDuty.

I'm not sure to what you're referring with the "stupid" part, however.

Are you saying I'm stupid for driving one, or paying for one?

Are you saying the design is stupid?

What?

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 06-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Post Fiend

ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.
Just not a fan of "newer" Fords since they started making little plastic toys out of them. They '99-'01ish ones however are much better IMO than anything newer, but even then my interest in Ford "trucks" (not sure we can even call them that anymore) dropped off quickly after '97.

But even with that being said my nicknames for the trucks are more to mess with my budies that have them and their flower-poke or power-joke motors.
long bed & 1974 Ford F100 Supercab - 2wds
1974 Ford F250 4x4 Crew cab
thread in "motor swap" forum
1989 Ford Ranger= Never gonna be done...
1972 Alfa Romeo GTV & 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4wd = DD
Old 06-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Postmaster

turbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud of
Quote:
Just not a fan of "newer" Fords since they started making little plastic toys out of them. They '99-'01ish ones however are much better IMO than anything newer, but even then my interest in Ford "trucks" (not sure we can even call them that anymore) dropped off quickly after '97.

But even with that being said my nicknames for the trucks are more to mess with my budies that have them and their flower-poke or power-joke motors.
No doubt the older trucks are nice but as an owner of a newer "Super Duty" I can tell you I have never had a better truck. It tows and hauls better than any truck I have ever had.
I use the living crap out of my trucks and have owned most generations.
The new "plastic" as you put it trucks are awesome.
Example;
Those plastic body pieces on the top of the bed are very nice at protection and if you damage them they can be replaced without a body work bill.
Understand about the stupid duty remark being an inside joke. No offense taken.
One more thing. Since Ford is now making their own diesel engines, we can probably call them Fords now more than ever.

'08 Super Duty 6.4, '61 Unibody, '63 T-bird, '66 Mustang
'76 F750 Firetruck, '83 F150, '74 F-1004x4 shrtbx
And not enough time to drive 'em.
Marc
Be like Steve
Old 06-21-2011, 02:05 PM