6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Bad MPG on my 08 F-350 dually!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 PM
C.read
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad MPG on my 08 F-350 dually!! Help!!

I know there has been post in the past about this but I have my own questions. I have 2008 F-350 dually I get about 11 MPG most of my driving is on the high way. I was up at the dealership the other day and they told ke I would get better MPG if I removed the dpf. They told me it would ruin my warranty but they said they look past them the only way it will bite me was if I broke down away from my dealership. I only have like one more year on my power train anyways. So I was trying to find a place that could do it because the dealership can't do it and everywhere I go they say they can't do it. I live around San Antonio, TX and before anyone tells my about the emission Texas does not check emissions. I am looking for some help on where to get it done, and what all needs to be done.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:47 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by C.read
I know there has been post in the past about this but I have my own questions. I have 2008 F-350 dually I get about 11 MPG most of my driving is on the high way. I was up at the dealership the other day and they told ke I would get better MPG if I removed the dpf. They told me it would ruin my warranty but they said they look past them the only way it will bite me was if I broke down away from my dealership. I only have like one more year on my power train anyways. So I was trying to find a place that could do it because the dealership can't do it and everywhere I go they say they can't do it. I live around San Antonio, TX and before anyone tells my about the emission Texas does not check emissions. I am looking for some help on where to get it done, and what all needs to be done.
there is a diesel shop near 35 & 410 where I stopped and bought a new takeoff bumber for my 08 last summer. they were doing 4 dpf offs at the same time. (edit) http://www.trucksourcediesel.com/about.html is the place I was talking about

I just did it on my 08 dually a few months back.. you need a delete pipe and the tuner unit to reprogram the computer to turn off regens.
so far I am only seeing about a 15% mileage improvement.. from 9 towing to just under 11. (I only use it to tow)..

I found a used Spartan system, but have looked at SCT (the diesel shop does this the most they said) Livewire Extreme too.

took me about 2 hours to remove the DPF and install the delete pipe.
the dealer had replaced my DPF a few months earlier under warranty so the joints were recently opened.

if u look on ebaymotors for 'ford dpf delete' you will see a bunch of kits, ranging from $1100 to $1600, pipe and tuner.
you want to remove both dpf and the catalytic converter (also called 'doc'). then u have a straight pipe from the turbo downpipe to the old muffler pipe.

I did not do an intake air pipe/filter change, but looks like I need to, cause when I floor it (when I need to for traffic, etc), there is not enough air flow thru the stock intake pipe, and I keep sucking in the filter reminder. they overcharge for this piece of plastic, in my opinion.

Sam

Old 06-16-2011, 10:40 AM
DesertRider
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your milage is not bad for this truck. It will take a lot of driving to make the 15% increase in MPG pay for the modifications. However, the truck will sound a lot better without the DPF and that may be worth the money.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:14 AM
bushman134
Freshman User
You will need to buy a tuner that has the dpf off function to prevent damage to the truck. Removing the dpf is not a big deal easy to do and no need to even jack the truck up. Both Spartan and H&S are good tuners to consider

Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by DesertRider
Your milage is not bad for this truck. It will take a lot of driving to make the 15% increase in MPG pay for the modifications. However, the truck will sound a lot better without the DPF and that may be worth the money.
plus no more fuel pouring into the crankcase diluting the oil too.

C.read,if you mostly driving the interstate,have you considered swapping to some higher gears? do you need low gears the dually come with? what are they anyway? 4.30's?
if i had to deal with a 6.4l,the first mod would be a set of higher gears.its such a power house.it doesn't need the help of much gear reduction imho,like the older diesels do.

can you limit your speeds to 55 mph max? if you can,this should help a lot if your going 65-75 or higher.

a custom built low hanging air dam should help too.

have you considered changing to skinnier tires? are there other options available to loose some tire width with your size rims?
this could help.

make sure you pump the tire pressure right up to max.
yup.it rides firmer.but fuel prices are insane.this matters.

6.4l + dually = poor fuel economy,not matter what though im afriad.

lastly,
have you considered trading in for a newer truck w/ the 6.7l? this would likely be your best choice for economy.lots of figuring will be required on this decision though.
if you do decide on this,ask yourself if you really need the duals next time.they don't help fuel economy.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
I have the same truck with the 4.30 rear axle. You should be doing better than 11 with the truck empty. I get 14 or so empty but I have to drive like an old lady to get it. 60 MPH is 1950 RPM and that's where I cruise. It's pretty boring but at almost $4 a gallon i feel obligated to do it. If you're not towing anything maybe an F150 would be a better fit. Changing the rear end ratio or deleting and tuning are expensive options and I've not heard anyone who did it saying they gained more than 2 to 3 MPG so it would take a while to get the investment back unless you do a lot of miles. it's a tough situation. Wish I had a better suggestion but I don't.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:20 PM
C.read
New User
Thanks for all the help guys. I just went to Houston this weekend and if I went 55 mph I would get 14 mpg so I just need to slow down a little. This is my first dually I was wanting to buy new rims do I have to buy special rims? Or can I buy 4 for the 4 wheels that are visible because I'm wanting to get black rims.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:00 PM
DesertRider
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you just need to get the 4 visible rims.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 PM
bigcountryfs
New User
i have a 08 f-350 4x4 dually that gets 13 to 14 mpgs empty and about 10 to12 while tow. i lifted it 2.5" and went up one size on tires still same.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigcountryfs
i have a 08 f-350 4x4 dually that gets 13 to 14 mpgs empty and about 10 to12 while tow. i lifted it 2.5" and went up one size on tires still same.
Your mpg is consistent with my mpg for my '09 350 drw (4.10 axle). I think this is what should be expected from one of these trucks operating properly with no mods. If you get notably less mpg you should find the source of the problem before blowing your warranty blindly blaming the dpf.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:17 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by C.read
Thanks for all the help guys. I just went to Houston this weekend and if I went 55 mph I would get 14 mpg so I just need to slow down a little.
3 mpgs by just heading out sooner,driving so you can enjoy the scenery and not be so rushed.
not a bad deal.glad you tried it.that's a nice improvement.
depending on how much you drive,by limiting your speed down to 55 mph,it could be like giving yourself an extra grand extra per year salary.

with diesel fuel @ $4 per gallon,driving at speeds with your truck that got 11 MPG,your annual fuel cost if you drive 15k per year would be $5,455
by slowing down to 55 MPH and gaining 3 mpgs,your fuel cost per year will be;
$4,286

slowing down to reduce your yearly fuel bill by $1,169.nice job.

slowing down with record high fuel prices................it's not just helpful,it's as wise as an investment.after all,who couldn't use an extra grand per year?

Old 07-02-2011, 06:41 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Jimmy Carter couldn't have said that better. For you young guys he's the fool that gave us the national 55 MPH speed limit. Which lasted from about 1977 untill 1994. Talk about boring driving. Yeah, you can save a 1000 dollars a year by driving 55 and I do drive 60 when I tow, but I don't like it. Thank you EPA.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:54 AM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hang ~50' (trailer length) behind a semi and you'll improve your mpg 25-30%. These trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:55 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by wp6529
Hang ~50' (trailer length) behind a semi and you'll improve your mpg 25-30%. These trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick.
Yeah, we were noticing today that a lot of the trailers now have skirting on them to reduce that drag. If they can gam a quarter mile per gallon it's worth it. Of course, in the long run we consumers pay for that extra fuel cost anyway. It's like business paying taxes, they don't. It's just overhead that is eventually built into the price.

Quick Reply: Bad MPG on my 08 F-350 dually!! Help!!