Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2011, 04:22 PM
New User

jehuie is starting off with a positive reputation.
1998 F150 won't start when it's hot....vapor lock?

This was happening last year and now that it's hot again it's driving me crazy once again. On hot days the truck will start and run a little bit rough for 10 or 15 seconds and then it's fine. But if I drive it a few miles and then stop, it won't start again no matter what I do. But if I let it cool down for an hour or so it will fire up again.

It only happens on hot days. And it's not consistent but it strands me somewhere at least a couple times a week now. I don't think fuel injection engines suffer from vapor lock do they? And it doesn't have an Ignition Control Module right? So what else could it be?

I've taken it to the shop twice and they haven't been able to help. Anyone? Please?!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:36 PM
New User

jehuie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oh and I forgot to mention...I have replaced the thermostat and the fuel filter so those are out as potential causes.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Senior User

blue2golf is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm having the exact same trouble with my '99 F150XL. I replaced the fuel pump relay, the fuel filter, tried opening the fuel cap to expel excess pressure and had it scanned by a local mechanic....no luck and my only code was the EGR causing the check engine light to come on.

However, I did ask the mechanic to check my fuel pressure. It was too low...fuel pump is going out. That might be the root cause. My mechanic could not be for sure that it would 100% fix the problem, but it probably would and that I need a new fuel pump anyway.

I'm buying a whole new sending unit tomorrow night and will install it this weekend. I'll update everybody on if this solution was effective or not.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Postmaster

Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.
Possible that one of these sensors has a plugup issue or sensor issue.
The Crank Position , the Cam position Sensor.
In the fuel circuit the pump relay and crash sensor.
EEC relay.
Loss of fuel pressure.
Check for codes and see if the PCM has been rebooted from power failure at any time.
When the problem is present you need to do the testing to find anything or it's just guessing.
Seem it's a heat soak issue as the engine bay gets hotter after shut down for at least 5 minutes due to the lack of fan cooling.
On my truck, I have a fan cooled aux transmission cooler with auto operation. In hot weather if the fan is not running it come on after I shut the motor off and runs for about 6-7 minutes before it shuts down.
The control sensor is sampling the trans inlet line at the radiator but still samples the engine bay as well so I get both functions from it set as about 185° to come on blowing air into the engine bay through the cooler and radiator.
Good luck
Old 06-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Senior User

blue2golf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2golf View Post
I'm having the exact same trouble with my '99 F150XL. I replaced the fuel pump relay, the fuel filter, tried opening the fuel cap to expel excess pressure and had it scanned by a local mechanic....no luck and my only code was the EGR causing the check engine light to come on.

However, I did ask the mechanic to check my fuel pressure. It was too low...fuel pump is going out. That might be the root cause. My mechanic could not be for sure that it would 100% fix the problem, but it probably would and that I need a new fuel pump anyway.

I'm buying a whole new sending unit tomorrow night and will install it this weekend. I'll update everybody on if this solution was effective or not.

Replaced the fuel pump yesterday. It hasn't been hot enough yet to see if this solves my problem. We've got some days forecasted in the 90s coming up. It shouldn't be too long of a wait.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:38 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
1996, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, bronco, f150, ford, hot, ii, lock, ranger, start, v6, vapor, wont