6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Installed gauges....Not good!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:47 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groodman
Sorry I didn't include mileage in the original post. My truck has about 93,000 miles on it. I also mispoke when I said the coolant was flushed in 2006. The coolant was flushed by Ford in 2008, the truck had around 62,000 miles at the time. The EGR valve and the HPOP were replaced at around 87,000 miles.

Heard back from the dealer. They saw a 38 degree delta between ECT and EOT. That's right on par with what I was seeing with my Insight. SA didn't know what the temps were before start up. They are replacing both the oil cooler and the EGR cooler. SA wasn't receptive to flushing system before the job. He stated that Ford reccomends flushing the system afterwards.
you dont want to flush afterwards.all the sand,scale,rust,etc,etc,WILL end up in the oil cooler and plug it up.makes no sense to me to start with a clogged system,install new parts,then flush system.when i did my first flush i got my delta down to 17*,after a day or two of driving all the stuff i knocked loose went right back home to the oil cooler,and this time my delta was 40-50* higher than my ect, with an unladen truck!.before i put the new cooler in i mustve ran close t0 300gal. of water through backflushing the oil cooler,i didnt want my new one plugging up,and still got a little scale out of it.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Groodman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also interested in seeing what temps I get after the truck is fixed. Do you think that I'm seeing a bigger diiference then you guys after cold soak because there is such a big spread at operating temps? Maybe it needs more time for the oil to cool down since it is so much warmer than the coolant at shutdown???? If the cold spreads are still far apart, I will give Edge a call, maybe the Insight is off a little too?

Now I gotta find the funds to pay for this!
Thanks for everyone's input. I will be adding a coolant filter ASAP after I get my truck back. Not sure about the whole coolant change out yet. Prolly wait to see what happens with the new oil cooler first. If it clogs again, don't want to give Ford a reason not to cover it.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:31 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
no matter what spread you see while driving after 12 hours cold soak those fluid temp gauges should read the SAME at startup within 1-2 degrees max

with a 38 degree spread your oil cooler probably needed change but hard to say when the gauges dont read right from the GITGO

I guess what everyones saying is you cant verify the temp spread with a bad gauge or a bad temp sending unit.

you should have at least flushed it out good before it went in

thats crazy to put a new oil cooler in it then flush the system out

basicaly there going to flush the dirty system right into your new oil cooler

I can only see flushing after the fact if you had catastropic failure of the oil cooler or egr cooler

Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
As posted by the Ford_Doctor about flushing before and after oil cooler installation:

A fairly high percentage of the oil coolers that I have replaced were highly restricted and many were absolutely PLUGGED. No cooling system flushing product will clear a plugged or highly restricted cooler because of the lack of flow and the density of the deposits.

Secondly, because of the restriction and lack of flow, the passages in the front cover and the engine block that feed and return coolant to the oil and EGR coolers will not be flushed as a result. I can see that there is a lot of debate over how effective the VC-9 coolant flush is and whether suspected particles left behind will get caught in a new cooler. If flushed post repair I would consider any suspected particles negligible when compared to the crap that will be left behind if flushed pre-repair.

Of the several hundred cooler repairs that have come through my shop I am aware of only one repeat failure which I have no doubt in my mind was caused by a continued lack of maintenance and attention to that customer's cooling system. Beleive it or not there are many vehicle owners who simply don't care nor learn from experience. The key here is to follow the procedure, use the correct flushing chemicals, allow enough time for the chemicals to work effectively and back flush the system adequately.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:07 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
I see your point on the really plugged coolers those are close to catastropic failure the flush wouldnt be affective on that coolant route

but a flush would flow threw other coolant paths in the moter heads, cylinders ect.

and in the flow of the plugged coolant path the egr and oil coolers will be replaced so that would leave that path next to new in the end

I just figured its best to get it as much junk out possible before the new coolers go in
if it cant be run stuff a hose in it for awhile
the shop just dont have time for some of this
I know I worrey to much about things

Old 06-17-2011, 10:07 PM
nylyon
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am trying my best to understand this process of flushing after an oil cooler change but I have a mental block on this one. There is no downside to flushing the cooling system completely prior to an oil cooler repair (in my opinion). The oil cooler / EGR cooler are but 1 circuit in the 3 circuits from the water pump. The right hand block / head and left hand block / head are the other 2. In addition you have the radiator and heater core which can potentially be large accumulators of debris.

Let's take the oil cooler circuit specifically. When you remove the intake manifold, EGR cooler and oil cooler you have removed from the engine 95% of the oil cooler coolant circuit of which the EGR cooler and intake can be bench cleaned and the oil cooler will be brand new. All that is left of that circuit is the block passages back to the water pump and it's a pretty straight shot. So basically there is less than 1% of the cooling system (estimate) that will be left unflushed if the flush is performed before an oil cooler replacement, egr cooler cleaning / removal / replacement, intake cleaning.

On the contrary, flushing AFTER the oil cooler change, you have left 100% of the contaminates in the radiator, heater core, engine block and that 1% on the oil cooler passage in there. Now when you begin the flush you have no choice but to route some of those loose contaminates through that brand new oil cooler (with no reverse oil cooler flush). I can not for the life of me see how that can be a better approach unless the oil cooler water / oil passages are breached. I am one of those repeat failures which is why I am passionate about it.