6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Cold Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Sith Lord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Intakes

I am curious if any of you have installed a cold air intake and if so, have you noticed much of a differnce in power and/or mileage?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
If you do an online search for “air filter test” there is a lot of very good information. IMHO, the CAI units are NOT WORTH THE $$! Unless you are talking about a system that was specifically designed for a specific application there are very little hp/tq gains actually achieved in a street use vehicle and there are very few docs that these mfg’s can produce that actually show an increase in hp/tq in the power-band range of a relatively stock street vehicle.

I would avoid oil impregnated filters. While they have their purpose in off-road applications, Ford/GM/Dodge all have “watch-out” bulletins where the oil has contaminated intake sensors. - they even have a training video for the techs on this (flatratetech.com) .

If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering, for a fraction of the price! The OE’s have an excellent air intake system. What many view as an issue (is the plastic intake tube with its noise canceling design) actually increases air pressure. It is the same hydraulic concept used by fire fighters creating water supply where psi is low. By having the air cross the path at a 90 degree angle, the pressure is increased proportionally. Fire fighters use what is called a “4-way valve” or “Blake Valve” at the hydrant where the water is cycled through the fire engine (pump) and sent back into the valve crossing the water flow at a 90 degree angle. In this case it also acts as a sound canceling device! At low speeds, this can reduce the flow a tad (which is what most “feel”), but in terms of peak hp/tq, a good high flow filter is all that is needed. You can use a WIX OEM HP replacement filter in the OEM plastic manifold box and either remove the plastic tube and replace it with a piece of pipe/hose, etc or remove the tube completely and replace the tube by building an air ram type intake into the air box manifold (where the pipe use to attach)- make sure it terminates above the fan shroud to avoid water intake or fan induced pulsations.

I built a 1960's hemi-style ram air system on mine, using the oem air box and a wix filter. Hwy (70 mph) mpg increased about .5 and throttle response was better as well. The Gotts mod is also shown on this website (IIRR) and is nice as well.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Scrming
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sith Lord
I am curious if any of you have installed a cold air intake and if so, have you noticed much of a differnce in power and/or mileage?
I installed an Airaid CAI... definitely improved my MPG! Love the extra growl under the hood too!

Here's my thread on it:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...uper-duty.html

(sorry for the delay... haven't been on here in a long time)

Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Sith Lord
New User
Thanks! I installed one and I am very impressed with it. I now need to keep my foot of the pedal so i can realize some mileage gains. The engine must be starved for air. I have owned and modified a lot of trucks (mostly powerstrokes) and I have never witnessed such gains from a mod as the airaid. Thanks again!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:17 PM
ocastellan
Freshman User
I am about to install a Volant Ram air in my 2006 5.4 xlt should I?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:44 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ocastellan
I am about to install a Volant Ram air in my 2006 5.4 xlt should I?
Don't know if you will get a good answer in this thread since this is for the 6.2L and the only intake out for it right now is the AirAid. Your question might be better off in the 5.4 forum. Just look a little further down the list from the 6.2 to find it.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Jettix2
Senior User
Any of you guys running the Airaid, I'd be interested to see how the MPG has improved for you!!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 AM
socapots
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jettix2
Any of you guys running the Airaid, I'd be interested to see how the MPG has improved for you!!
2 of the guys above are using it..
One has a link to his topic..

Old 07-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Jettix2
Senior User
Yeah, was just wondering if anyone had put enough miles on with a CAI and had some definitive mileage results

Old 07-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Sith Lord
New User
So far I have seen a little more than a 1mpg gain with in-town driving. I have only had it on for a week or so and have not had it out on a long hwy trip. Tuesday I wil be making a 500 mile round trip and I am anxious to see the results. I have noticed a significant power gain, much to my surprise.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Jettix2
Senior User
COOL! Post up results after your trip!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
make sure to add a coffe can exhaust and a couple of air-raid/K&N stickers to the front fenders...that is surely worth 30 hp too!

You guys have to work or have a relationship with the mfg's.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:50 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I have not seen any gains after installing my Airaid intake. The best part about it is that I never have to buy another air filter and the sound is AWESOME when you hit the gas. But other then those 2 things, no big deal and no noticeable increase or decrease in MPG.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Sargemo105
Senior User
Originally Posted by kmonty2
I have not seen any gains after installing my Airaid intake. The best part about it is that I never have to buy another air filter and the sound is AWESOME when you hit the gas. But other then those 2 things, no big deal and no noticeable increase or decrease in MPG.
Kmonty, I was always a skeptic of the post where increases of 1-4mpg were cited. Would you say you've had it on long enough to say it did nothing for mpg's or power increase? And how much are regular air filters for our SD's?

Old 07-30-2011, 10:13 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I have had it for about 3 months, so yes I can say no extra performance or MPG's with it. I drive mostly stop and go and only live 4 miles from work, so that might have a effect on MPG too. Had the truck for 5 1/2 months now and just turned over 5000 miles.
The biggest thing that made a difference in performance and towing was the tune I got from 5 Star. Now that you can tell there is a increase. But with MPG and the tunes, I don't think there is a increase. The tunes mainly adjust the shift points and keep you in the optimum gear longer to make sure you have power to go instead of bogging 6th at 35 mph.
I am not sure about the price on the air filters, but my guess would be around $20-$30. I bought one for my Pacifica and it was $20 so I am only assuming these trucks will be the same if not higher.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes