Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-2015 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Junior User

rcklnhunter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Truck shuts down while driving then show "low oil" warning

My truck is still fairly new with 4,600 miles. I took my family on a camping trip and pulled my trailer which is about 7800 LBS. I made multiple hill climbs and mentioned to my wife how well the truck does on the hills pulling the trailer then a minute later the truck jolts and a "low oil" warning light flashed on the dash. By that time the truck had already shut down and I was coasting to the side of the road. At least I still had the ability to steer until I hit about 2 mph then the truck completely shut down. I could smell burning oil or something similar coming from the engine area.

I knew I had plenty of oil because I had just checked it hours before. I got out and checked it again and was still full. After standing there for several minutes starring at the truck I realized that our big yearly trip up North to the redwoods was over. I tried to start the truck again and it just turned over but wouldn't start. Nothing was smoking or appeared to be leaking. So I started to look for the Ford tow truck number. While looking for the number I tried to start it again and it started! I drove it about 3 minutes down the road to a gas station and called the dealer. They of course said never heard of the issue. Have the truck and trailer towed in to the nearest dealer. Well decided I wasn't going to do it since I was already in the middle of no where and the truck was driving fine. I wasn't going to ruin our big trip over this so I drove it. I figured if something failed at least they could fix it and not tell me they can't duplicate the issue after 3 days. The truck drove fine the rest of the way there.

It happened again coming home. While climbing another hill in the middle of a 2 lane canyon with no shoulder and no cell service. Luckily, I coasted a few hundred yards to the only turn out I saw in a mile stretch. Once, again it showed "Low oil". I let the truck sit for 5 minutes and it started. Drove it another 5 hours home with no issues. I monitored all my gauges during this time none showed over heating.

So in summary, truck shows "low oil" warning then shuts down and restarts minutes later. Has anyone seen this issue before? I will be taking it in to the dealer soon but I'm expecting the standard can't duplicate the problem. In the meantime I am just hoping someone on this forum has had this issue and found the problem which can speed up the diagnosis. Thanks for your help on this long story!
Line-X Bedliner/Door Seal/Firestone air bags
Old 06-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Posting Guru

Biggziff is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Biggziff is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I haven't read of this being reported on the 6.7 yet, but it doesn't mean someone hasn't had the issue and doesn't use the interwebz....

I'd like to think it's a bad sensor.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Senior User

buckmasters is starting off with a positive reputation.
It could be any number of things that affect the pressure or amount of oil being circulated through the engine (pump, filter, sump, etc) or simply a bad sensor. I have no idea what the burning smell could be.

My wife had this type of issue after getting an oil pan replaced on her vehicle and then a low oil pressure light came on. It is a Honda and silicone is used to put the new oil pan back in. Some of that silicone leaked into the pan and got sucked up/clogged in the sump. At 4,600 miles, I'm guessing you haven't done an oil change (so no way for debris to get into the system unless it's engine pieces). That would rule out the sump and filter (unless the filter got damaged under the truck). I would get under the truck and make sure the filter looks to be in good shape with no damage, leakage, or cross-threading.

2011 F250, 6.7L PSD, FX4, crew cab, tuxedo black metallic, Lariat Ultimate package, 18" wheels, 3.31 ELD, Line-X bedliner

2010 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS, 30', 7,500 lb GVWR
Old 06-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.
Sounds like going up a long hill the oil isn't draining back into the sump,
thus it sucks air and the engine stalls. low oil could mean either
the engine has stopped and thus low oil pressure, or low oil level.

After 5 minutes enough oil is back in the sump for it to start.
Maybe a clogged oil filter?
You are close enough you might have the 1st oil/filter change
and maybe it'll go away?

good luck!
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 06-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Posting Guru

KC8QVO has a very good reputation on FTE.KC8QVO has a very good reputation on FTE.KC8QVO has a very good reputation on FTE.KC8QVO has a very good reputation on FTE.
Wouldn't it be a good idea to change the oil sooner than the reccomended "5000" miles the first time? All the engine parts are new and wearing together. My dealer told me it shouldn't need an oil change until the reccomended interval, but I am not completely sold on that theory. I'm not saying this would be the cause for the engine shutting down, that does sound fishy. I'd be curious as to what it is. I also hope the engine isn't hurt in any way while operating under those abnormal circumstances.
"To truly solve a problem you must first understand the problem"
Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
Wouldn't it be a good idea to change the oil sooner than the reccomended "5000" miles the first time? All the engine parts are new and wearing together. My dealer told me it shouldn't need an oil change until the reccomended interval, but I am not completely sold on that theory. I'm not saying this would be the cause for the engine shutting down, that does sound fishy. I'd be curious as to what it is. I also hope the engine isn't hurt in any way while operating under those abnormal circumstances.
Hi Steve,

The early break-in oil change has been proven pretty well to be unnecessary on modern engines; I've never heard of anyone who's had any engine trouble that could be reasonably attributed to failure to change the oil early.

Have you been to - Bob is the Oil Guy It's a great oil forum, and they debunk lots of common myths.

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Elder User

lakedweller is starting off with a positive reputation.
I thought the first oil change was at 10,000 not 5,000. I'll have to check my book and see.....
2006 Golfstream Sedona, 34', 5th Wheel, Reese Sidewinder pin box
Old 06-18-2011, 07:45 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedweller View Post
I thought the first oil change was at 10,000 not 5,000. I'll have to check my book and see.....
The recommended first oil change is whenever the OLM dictates; there is no set specification. For most it's between 6-8,000 miles.

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 06-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Postmaster

kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Yes, the manual says to follow the IOLM.
I change within the 5k range but if I don't reset the computer, it makes it a few hundred past 7,000 before alerting.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Senior User

mikespecht is starting off with a positive reputation.
im going to go with the OLM for mine, seems like they have put a lot of thought into it. i will keep an eye on how many miles i have driven since the change and if i am getting high and the system doesnt tell me to change, then i may just go by how far i have driven. but untill the OLM lets me down, or i hear of others having problems because of it, i will change the oil when it tells me to
Old 06-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Junior User

rcklnhunter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Took the truck in a few days ago and had it hooked up to see if there was a code to retrieve. Of course no luck. So they were going to talk to their reps and see if they can come up with some ideas. So far I have not heard anything yet. I'm hoping they will just start making some guesses and replace something to see if it works. Somethings got to be done because it was pretty dangerous and blind corners when your truck dies. I'll keep everyone updated. Maybe someone from Ford will read this and offer some help.
Line-X Bedliner/Door Seal/Firestone air bags
Old 07-17-2011, 07:51 PM
New User

ler8823 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This exact same thing just happened to me while towing on a family trip. I pulled over and about 60 seconds it restarted never did it again. Have you found anything out about it....
Old 07-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Posting Guru

nitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to beholdnitrogen is a splendid one to behold
we need to figure out, was this a low pressure message or a low level.(is the truck even able to monitor oil level) once that has been clarified then a tech can start looking at sensors,wiring, or if the message is legitimate. the fact that no codes were found tends to lean towards it not being an actual mechanical problem, but it does need to be addressed so you you can trust and enjoy the truck safely
Old 07-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Senior User

jermort is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just guessing here, but I'd be willing to bet that the low oil pressure warning is due to the fact that the motor shut down and is not making any oil pressure. The two may not be related at all.

My 6.7 will display the low oil pressure warning if I key on, but I don't start it within a few seconds.

Many of us have experienced 'anomalies'. Not saying that is what happened to you. I had a short 10 mile drive where the boost gauge read '0'. Clearly, I had no boost, no power. On restart, everything was normal, has never happened again. 23.5K miles.

just my .02

jammer
PSD #4 '95 loved it... '97 real POS...
2000 ... great truck, 200k miles...
Last???
2011 F250 KR CC - Retrax Rollup, Ride Rite bags, Airlift Wireless One (the ol' KR is not currently leaking any fluids!)
Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Postmaster

kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
My low oil pressure light would turn on prior to starting (KOEO) only sometimes.
(Thank you truck computer; of course there is low oil pressure.)

It actually hasn't happened in several months now that I think about it.
If it was consistant that's one thing but it wasn't.
I would cycle the key and everything would be normal for another 2-3 weeks; sometimes less, sometimes more.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2002, car, cuts, diesel, driving, f350, ford, good, low, off, oil, road, running, shut, shuts