2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

NEXT GENERATION F150 WHEN...???

Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 AM
AB328
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NEXT GENERATION F150 WHEN...???

I am enjoying reading all the posts on the new trucks, especially the Ecoboost owners, that is what I really want. My question tho those possibly in the know is, when is the next "new generation" F150 due to be out? I still love the look of my 2004 FX4 and the 2011's are sweeter yet, but I know the next generations will be even better, they always are. I am pretty sure I am going to wait especially, since we traded my wife's VW Passat to a used Touareg for better/safer winter driving here in northern Minnesota. Any new rumors guys/gals on when they will be out?? Thanks!!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:21 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The last I heard for the next Gen F-150 was around 2014 to 2015.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Heard 2014 but who knows.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Eric Landstrom
Senior User
Originally Posted by AB328
I am enjoying reading all the posts on the new trucks, especially the Ecoboost owners, that is what I really want. My question tho those possibly in the know is, when is the next "new generation" F150 due to be out? I still love the look of my 2004 FX4 and the 2011's are sweeter yet, but I know the next generations will be even better, they always are. I am pretty sure I am going to wait especially, since we traded my wife's VW Passat to a used Touareg for better/safer winter driving here in northern Minnesota. Any new rumors guys/gals on when they will be out?? Thanks!!
I believe the new F150 to come in 2014 and it will share 70% parts content with the existing truck is history serves as a guide.

OT: Are you chasing into Fargo or Brainerd for service or is there another VW dealer in the 218 area code? I like the VW designs.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 PM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
Originally Posted by AB328
If I were you I would be in no rush for FoMoCo to come out with another F-150 when the last two generations are darn near perfect! The next gen F-150 will be built under the new CAFE Standards! Meaning extensive use of lighter weight materials such as a Magnesium Frame, more plastic, no V8 motors etc!
Enjoy what you have & what is currently out! The future of trucks looks bleak! I am keeping my 2007 forever!......

Old 06-15-2011, 06:26 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say it will be available in fall of 2014.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been hearing around 2014 as well, but who knows exactly when. And if Ford doesn't offer a V8, I'm ok with that. After driving my boss' Eco and the power it has, it's all good.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:48 AM
AB328
Senior User
Eric, we live in Fargo-Moorhead so we go to Valley Imports in Fargo. We have been very pleased with them to date. On a side note, I love my F150 but this 2008 Touareg is a beast, the new Explorer, Durango, 4Runner, Pathfinder etc., are nice but do not hold a candle to this thing. I cannot wait to test it this winter.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
extensive use of lighter weight materials such as a Magnesium Frame, more plastic, no V8 motors etc!
Blasphemy. I don't so much mind the lighter Matrials but Ford better always offer a V8...Even if its a Small Displacement like the 5.0L ''Which I was so impressed with I ordered one''. I don't think the V8 will be going away soon...Though the BIG V8 ala 6.2L probably will only live on in specialty vehicles in the future...I think small displacements will be around for a good long while though. The 5.0L gets roughly the same mileage as the Ecoboost. Once the Ecoboost tech has proven itself in a few years I would like to see Ford Ecoboost a 5.0L myself. The 5.0L's already a mean engine, but with Ecoboosting it would be a true terror.

But the day they stop production of V8's they might as well just convert everything over to Electric.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:22 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That's just a dumb one-way train of thought. What if the next 6 cylinder outperforms the 5.0 of today? You wont buy it because it's not a V8? I'd bet that logic is the sole reason Ford is even offering the 5.0, because lots of people are so set in their ways they wont even give a smaller engine a chance. Even if the smaller engine outperforms the bigger engine at every point on a dyno graph and at the gas pump.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:30 PM
jimmyb08SD
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Basically it already does, but you have to give some people time to adjust so the 5.0 will be around for at least a few more years. As for 2014 we will have to wait and see, if the majority is on board with the EB V6, then the 5.0 will go away. And remember this country voted for change and now we are getting it!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by spdmpo
That's just a dumb one-way train of thought. What if the next 6 cylinder outperforms the 5.0 of today? You wont buy it because it's not a V8? I'd bet that logic is the sole reason Ford is even offering the 5.0, because lots of people are so set in their ways they wont even give a smaller engine a chance. Even if the smaller engine outperforms the bigger engine at every point on a dyno graph and at the gas pump.
Yeah Yeah, I must be a real idiot for only wanting a V8. Jesus Christ have people forgotton that we all have different personalitys and tastes? I'm so F**king sick of this V8 vs Turbo V6 debate. Chance's are the next gen Ecoboost WILL outperform the 5.0L of today as the current generation Ecoboost and 5.0 are pretty damn close in performance terms. So does it not stand to reason that the next gen 5.0L will most likely be on par with the next gen Ecoboost? And yes I ordered a 2011 FX4 with the 5.0L and YES I test drove 3.7L 5.0L Ecoboost and 6.2L before I ordered and I personally was most impressed with the 5.0L. I have absolutly ZERO regrets to getting the 5.0L over the Ecoboost. Why? Because I personally had more fun driving the 5.0L and it was the right engine for me. Also why would Ford spend the millions upon millions to develop the 5.0L if they only planned to use it for a couple of years and then just wipe it off the map?? Were's the logic OR buisness sence in that??

If YOU want a Turbo V6 than YOU can get one. Am I going to bitch and moan and complain because YOUR truck is powered by a Turbo Charged V6? Absolutly not! That is YOUR money and YOUR choice. If Ford is smart...''which they seem to be'' seeing as they have mostly been doing the right things these past few years...They will continue to offer a V8 long into the future because rather people like you like it or not...People like ME are always going to be around. I don't mind that Ford offers a Turbo V6...As a matter of the fact I expect GM and Ram to follow suit and offer their own Turbo V6 in their future trucks. But it would be foolish of any of them to just cese production of their V8's. Also it should be noted that it is my understanding that Ford has built both the 5.0L and 6.2L to easy recipents of ''Ecoboosting'' Technology. So that's another hint that they won't be going away anytime soon. Why would Ford plan for the future with these engines if they were just going to discard them shortly after they went into production? And I do remember reading an article in Motor Trend stating that Ford' still has big plans for future V8 engines. The article stated that future V8's would be closer to the 5.0L's design than to the 6.2L's old tech design. Just because Ford now offers a Twin Turbo V6 does NOT mean that they should void any of their previous offerings. I don't know about you, but I personally am glad to have more options...It would be kind of stupid if Ford only offered the Ecoboost in the F-150's.

And I get the feeling you are implying that the 5.0L is some kind of dinosaur engine?? Far from it. The 5.0L though doesn't have all the technology incorperated into that the 3.5L Ecoboost does ''Imagine if the 5.0L did''. Its still no dinosaur by any streatch. The only engine in Fords lineup that was dated before it hit the showroom was the 6.2L and it still manages to perform very good. You gotta understand the thing that bothers guys like me...Is NOT that Ford offers a TT V6. But its when people try and tell guys like me how much better off we would be getting the TT V6 over the V8 that we want. Wouldn't that **** you off if someone called you dumb for not wanting the same thing they did? Hmm? Like I said earlier...We ALL have different wants / needs / tastes / and personalitys. For some the 5.0L Makes since...For others...The Ecoboost does the job...And for the rest the 3.7L or 6.2L will cut the cake. But I'll be damned if I'm going to put up with people telling me how and were I should spend my HARD EARNED MONEY. Or how I am wasting my hard earned money because I didn't get what THEY thought was the best option.

If you want logic...Here it is...This is why I ordered the 5.0L over the Ecoboost.

The 5.0L makes MORE than enough power to suit my wants and needs.

The 5.0L is capable of close to the same MPG's as the Ecoboost ''within 1mpg in most case's.

The 5.0L was more fun for me to drive seeing as it sounded a hell of a lot better to me.

The 5.0L was a 1,000$ Cheaper AND I got better incentives with it.

I apologize to any Ecoboost owners this might have offended. It was not directed at Ecoboost owners or even the trucks themselves. It was just rant about not wanting to lose any options with the trucks.

Have a nice day.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:55 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Ford an all the other car builders will fall into lockstep with each other over the coming years. Ford will offer a V-8 as long as someone else does. But, most of their eggs will be placed into smaller HO engines. It only stands to reason.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:49 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a firm believe in options, however, I do believe the v8 is on borrowed time. How borrowed will depend on variables beyond our control, even though we might like to think we have some control over them.

I'm not an engineer by any stretch, only had a few Ag. engineering classes and that's about it. However, it shouldn't have been any more difficult to turbo a 5.0 than a 3.7. Now I can speculate as to what that is and sum it up into one word: "Regulation". If the motor companies keep a v8, it's going to be a small displacement v8. They might eventually T/C it when it get's down really low for displacement, but who knows were the v6 will be at that time with a few more years of R&D behind it.

The writting is on the wall for smaller engines period. How long it takes is the one variable, but that is the writting on the wall and that will affect v8s and I can see that the companies might still offer them, but they will be so pathetic compared to the others that most will be compelled to get the smaller engine just because it is "better".

All of this is speculation though until it unfolds.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
640, you assume too much and read in to what I replied. Your statement of if it's not a V8 then it might as well be electric is what I replied to. How is anyone supposed to take that any other way than as an absolute to mean if it's not an 8 cylinder engine then it's not worth having. That is a very closed minded attitude, it's your mindset that I was accusing of being a dinosaur, not the 5.0 engine.

I don't care what engine you have. I don't care that Ford offers so many choices, I'm glad they do. I have never, and will never, tell someone they should have gotten a specific engine. If you want that 5.0, then you should get it. As you said, it's the buyer's choice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEXT GENERATION F150 WHEN...???