Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.
Clockspring recall - how big a deal?

I'm looking for an '05 - '07 F-150 and I'm finding a large number
of their carfax reports list a recent recall dated: 4/12/2011

Recall # 11S18
CLOCKSPRING TO DRIVER SIDE FRONTAL AIR BAG WIRE
HARNESS REPLACEMENT

Is this recall still covered if the vehicle is out of warranty?
What are the characterizations of this failure?

Just don't want to avoid buying a vehicle that requires
me to pay for the recall.
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 06-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Senior User

rattosh51 is starting off with a positive reputation.
All recalls are free of charge to the owner. This one is a pretty big deal, in that the clockspring wiring could come in contact with the air bag wiring causing a deployment of the airbag. If you are looking at one for sale that hasn't had this done, tell the owner/dealer to get it done before the sale.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Whachuwant?

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
At first it was thought that just one assembly plant was to blame, but they expanded to cover just about all of the 04-08s. The recall itself is not a big deal - it being fixed that is. My service took 1.5 hours
The chaffing of the airbag wire against the clockspring is a big deal. Once the wire's casing is rubbed through the airbag can deploy randomly, causing pretty decent injuries. The airbag light is supposed to illuminate prior to deployment as an indicator that the wiring has gone south.
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Posting Guru

xjcamaro89 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just had mine done, i have a 04 F150 with 104,000 miles, so ya, way out of warranty, but like they said above, all recalls are free of charge no matter the mileage or waranty.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.Misky6.0 has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcamaro89 View Post
I just had mine done, i have a 04 F150 with 104,000 miles, so ya, way out of warranty, but like they said above, all recalls are free of charge no matter the mileage or waranty.

THAT's what I needed to hear THANK YOU.

I'd feel better taking it to a dealer AFTER I buy it vs. "hoping"
the private seller or used car place actually had it done.
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Elder User

hydro_37 is starting off with a positive reputation.
you can see if it was done by taking the VIN to a dealer and he will look it up

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
Old 06-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Whachuwant?

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
So who's the F150 going to be for? Are you ditching your Ex or getting rid of the wife's ride?
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
So who's the F150 going to be for? Are you ditching your Ex or getting rid of the wife's ride?
We are expanding the fleet.

It's for a place we just bought in Nevada.
We have a spare household stuff we want to haul out there from FL
later this year and then we'll have the p/u for our use when we fly
out to visit family. We are WAY outside of the "free" delivery zone from
stores, so the F150 will let us haul big items back w/o needing to
rent/borrow trailers.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Whachuwant?

Very cool. Congrats on the place in NV, and the new truck. Have you found one yet, or just on the hunt?
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
Very cool. Congrats on the place in NV, and the new truck. Have you found one yet, or just on the hunt?
Thanks, it's a "dry heat" compared to FL
Just searching at the moment.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Elder User

fordman19762003 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fordman19762003 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
[quote=MCDavis;10458765] The recall itself is not a big deal - it being fixed that is. My service took 1.5 hours
QUOTE]

I had the recall fixed on my truck while it was in the shop getting an alignment. I waited for them to finish and it took an hour tops to do both.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Whachuwant?

1.5 hours was from the time I dropped it off (had to get back to the office) and the time they called. That was my only measure of time it took, since I was not waiting for it.
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 06-15-2011, 05:11 PM
New User

bfimbel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the recall done last week. Took the dealer approx 1 hour to do the work. Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Postmaster

fordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to beholdfordtruckman is a splendid one to behold
I just got a letter in the mail last week about it. Still have to have it done though.

[url=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/MatthewSimmons08/f150]
Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
11s18, 2000, 94, big, clock, clockspring, enthusiast, f150, ford, fords, parts, raptor, recall, spring, wire