Soft codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 AM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Soft codes

I have an emissions test coming up.

I have 3 P codes that I'd like to eliminate before then. I don't want to "fix" the issues they are telling me about. Just make the codes go away. I know why they're there I just need to get rid of them.

What I have coming up is:

P0475 Exhaust Pressure Circuit Valve (result of EBPV delete)
P0541 Intake air heater A circuit low (result of aih delete)
P0640 Intake air heater control circuit (also result of aih delete)

Does anyone know what resistors I'll need and where to put them in?

Old 06-14-2011, 12:15 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
It's a 470 ohm resistor on both. A 1/2 watt to 2 watt resistor will work. I think the only thing you can get at radio shack is the 1/2 watt. The resistor for the ebpv delete will go across the plug for the ebpv solenoid at the base of the pedistal. The resistor for the aih goes from the output of the aih relay to ground. Should be the one with the blue wire.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:57 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tdpower
It's a 470 ohm resistor on both. A 1/2 watt to 2 watt resistor will work. I think the only thing you can get at radio shack is the 1/2 watt. The resistor for the ebpv delete will go across the plug for the ebpv solenoid at the base of the pedistal. The resistor for the aih goes from the output of the aih relay to ground. Should be the one with the blue wire.
Thanks very much, sir. I'd rep you but the rep police say I'm on time-out. If someone else who reads this thread could rep him for me I'd appreciate it.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket
I have an emissions test coming up.

I have 3 P codes that I'd like to eliminate before then. I don't want to "fix" the issues they are telling me about. Just make the codes go away. I know why they're there I just need to get rid of them.

What I have coming up is:

P0475 Exhaust Pressure Circuit Valve (result of EBPV delete)
P0541 Intake air heater A circuit low (result of aih delete)
P0640 Intake air heater control circuit (also result of aih delete)

Does anyone know what resistors I'll need and where to put them in?
Pete, do the soft codes matter for emissions? I thought they only look to see if your SES light is on and if not, then you pass that portion of the test. I am not sure the emissions stations have the ability to connect via OBDII and pull the codes.

In Phoenix, they just look for the SES light and then look under the hood...

Old 06-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do they plug in and scan for codes up there?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:32 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Nsaan
do they plug in and scan for codes up there?
They hook up to the OBD2 port then put you on rollers, hook up to your exhaust, and hit the throttle I think it's three times. They're testing the opacity so basically there's just a light and a sensor and if it's under 20% opacity you pass. I got under .05% opacity last test. They never looked under the truck to check for a muffler or cat (although I'm non-cat anyways) nor did they pop the hood. Just strap it to the rollers hook to the OBD2 hook up the exhaust piping hammer on it three times give the customer the print-out and take $20.

Although those are Powerstroke specific codes and I'm not sure they are capable of pulling codes off a Powerstroke or just generics but I'd like to get rid of the soft codes anyways and this is my kick in the pants to do it.

For gassers emissions consists of hook to OBD2, give customer the print-out, take $20.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:18 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I used the Radio Shack 470 ohm resistor. Bought a pack of 5 at Radio Shack for $1.05. Worked like a charm! Just folded the wire ends in half and plugged it right into the open EBPV plug and covered it with some tape to protect it from the elements.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:00 PM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
I've got an 03 7.3 and tried using the 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistors and I'm still getting soft codes. What am I missing?!

Old 08-01-2017, 11:18 PM
bigreentruck
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I got my truck smogged a month or 2 ago, the guys did NOT, to my knowledge, plug in to the OBDII plug. No Issue with the fuel heater (I think was a issue). I have no EBPV delte, and DO have Intake Air Heater delete.
And I live in Orange County in the Communist state of Kalifornia.
Guess HE blessed me that day. AGAIN!!

Old 08-02-2017, 06:40 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by akcooper9
I've got an 03 7.3 and tried using the 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistors and I'm still getting soft codes. What am I missing?!
did you clear the codes after installing the resistor?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:54 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by akcooper9
Aaron, as Rich mentioned above when I installed the resistors, I folded over the pins at least twice, 3 time if my brain remembers correctly then inserted the resistor into the connector. I also used some sealing tape and wrapped them pretty well to not only protect them from falling out, but from oil, water, etc.

I never did check for soft codes after removing the sensors though as in GA, you can drive down the road without tires if you like...

Old 08-02-2017, 06:59 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
did you clear the codes after installing the resistor?
Nope, but I also installed them while I deleted the EBPV and Wastegate solenoid etc so I 'assumed' the codes would not appear? I will try deleting them.

Originally Posted by Sous
I folded over the pins at least twice, 3 time if my brain remembers correctly then inserted the resistor into the connector.
I folded mine over twice. If need be, Ill pull them and try try try again!

Old 08-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Karlow
More Turbo
I would be concerned about taping up the 1/2 watt resistor.
you are dumping about .39 watts. covering it up my cause it to over heat, fail, or melt the tape.
On my most recent Smog test on my car and truck, they just plug it in to check for codes.
This is So Cal, I have not had the truck done to date, but I would expect them to plug it in.
The Smog machine also seem to be verifying which vehicle is being tested. I have read that they are also looking for smoke (opacity).
I'm not sure they look for mods under the hood, but I hope not!

Old 01-01-2018, 04:00 PM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Update: I think I found my issue, I order twice 470K resistors. I now realize I need to order some 470 ohm resistors

Old 01-01-2018, 08:08 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Smog test? They should test them recreational users in CA instead. They roll way more smoke than a 7.3. Dang global warming making us all freeze to death, even in the tundra of North Florida.

Quick Reply: Soft codes