Goose Neck to 5th Wheel Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Lonzom10
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goose Neck to 5th Wheel Converter?

There was a goose neck hitch in the bed of my 08 F-250 truck when I bought it, which i believe is a B&W hitch. Anyways, I'm looking for an easy way to convert this to a 5th Wheel hitch. I ran across and adapter made by Curt and it looks like it will work. Here is the link to the hitch: Custom Trailer Hitch Products, Custom Receiver Hitch, Heavy Duty Towing, Curt Manufacturing Has anyone else used this converter? If so, how did it do? Anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:50 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
You could use something like that. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. If your hitch is indeed a B&W, though. I'd compare the price of that, plus a 5th wheel hitch with the price of the B&W 5th wheel companion and see which comes up better.

The B&W 5th wheel companion is designed by B&W to work in their gooseneck socket.

Companion

Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Lonzom10
Junior User
Thanks for the feedback DC! I failed to mention, that the 5th wheel hitch is one that I am borrowing from a friend, so the only cost I should have will be for the converter. I have found the converter for around $325 with free shipping.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 AM
mudfuel06
Elder User
I would consider converting the trailer to a gooseneck, that's what I did with mine and haven't had any issues.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:16 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Most if not all 5th wheel manufacturers do not recommend a goose neck conversion.... Just my 2 cents worth

Old 06-18-2011, 07:31 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by lakedweller
Most if not all 5th wheel manufacturers do not recommend a goose neck conversion.... Just my 2 cents worth
He is not looking at a gooseneck extender for the trailer. He is looking at an adapter that fits the B&W socket and places rails in the bed of the truck. Then a standard 5th wheel can be mounted to the standard rails.

First time I've seen that thing. I would guess it works pretty well, as long as you don't have a plastic bed liner.

Edit: I see now you were responding to the previous poster.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Lonzom10
Junior User
Thanks for the all the feedback guys! After a ton more research, I have decided to go with the B&W 5th Wheel Companion Hitch. It's going to be about double the price but from everyone I have spoken with locally, they have great things to say about it and its functionality. Most concerns about the Curt adapter seem to be around the fact that you would have 3-4 moving parts with only 1 pin holding compared to the Companion where there would be on 2-3.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 PM
EMD_DRIVER
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonzom10
Thanks for the all the feedback guys! After a ton more research, I have decided to go with the B&W 5th Wheel Companion Hitch. It's going to be about double the price but from everyone I have spoken with locally, they have great things to say about it and its functionality. Most concerns about the Curt adapter seem to be around the fact that you would have 3-4 moving parts with only 1 pin holding compared to the Companion where there would be on 2-3.
We went camping last year and my truck lost the low side of the fuel pump and one injector. We ended up having to call someone with a Dodge to come pull our fiver home. He already had a B&W gooseneck ball in the bed and he borrowed a companion fiver hitch. He had no problems at all with it. Unlike me, having to live with the embarrassment of being rescued by a Dodge...

Old 06-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Lonzom10
Junior User
Thanks again for all the feedback folks. I ordered the B&W 5th Wheel Companion Hitch last week for $725 including shipping and tax. It should be here Wednesday (06/29). Looking forward to getting it and seeing how it works. Will post an update once it arrives and I get to test it out!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
I have towed with the B&W Companion Hitch. No problems with the unit. Great product.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Lonzom10
Junior User
Well my B&W 5th Wheel Companion Hitch arrived a day early but I didn't have time to get it installed until yesterday. I havent pulled anything with it yet but I must say the install was a breeze and ended up only taking around 30 minutes or so. Most of that time was spent getting measurements and making sure I had it set accordingly. The hitch itself appears to be very solid with a huge base. Below are a few pics of it installed in my bed.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 AM
BVR PLZR
Junior User
Good Morning Lonzom 10 Looks Great man mayby you can help me out, did you or are you putting a 7 round rv recepticle in the bed, just had my reese hitch put in at the local camper shop in my 2010 F250 had them install a recepticle in the bed the Sh_t head tech ran a cord down to the factory plug and well you see it coming (he plugged it into the plug) instead of hard wiring it. was curious what you did on yours cause now every time i go to hook up boat, car trailer, stock trailer i have to unplug the thing and have a pig tail hangen down catching all the grit grime and mud

Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Lonzom10
Junior User
Originally Posted by BVR PLZR
Good Morning Lonzom 10 Looks Great man mayby you can help me out, did you or are you putting a 7 round rv recepticle in the bed, just had my reese hitch put in at the local camper shop in my 2010 F250 had them install a recepticle in the bed the Sh_t head tech ran a cord down to the factory plug and well you see it coming (he plugged it into the plug) instead of hard wiring it. was curious what you did on yours cause now every time i go to hook up boat, car trailer, stock trailer i have to unplug the thing and have a pig tail hangen down catching all the grit grime and mud
Well that's not cool at all! I wish I had more info to share but my truck already had the receptacle mounted in the bed when I bought it a month or so back. I have crawled around under it a bit and looked though and is looks like there is a piggy back adapter or something similar mounted under mine that allows both receptacles to be wired in together, allowing you to use either or at any time without making any manual changes. You might check with your local Ford dealer and see what part they use for this. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:12 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by BVR PLZR
Why did you accept that? I would not have paid for it until they did it right.

But it is probably an easy fix for you. Go to etrailer.com and look for the fifthwheel wiring harness. You will find one that has a TEE on one end that will plug into your existing bumper harness, and on the other end it has the receptacle for the bed. All plug and play, no wiring. Your only consideration will be if it will fit the hole that the tech put in your bed. Chances are good you can make it work in the existing hole.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:16 AM
BVR PLZR
Junior User
Honestly didnt know it till i got home i picked it up after hours in the dark and looked at the work done the next day, i talked to them and there going to make it right i put a post out there on this site to see what other guys have done ill check into your recommendation i appreciate the input needless to say i was pretty irate when i seen it

Quick Reply: Goose Neck to 5th Wheel Converter?