1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1972 Repair Work

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:54 PM
4frntmorrison
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1972 Repair Work

I've found a 1972 highboy for sale for $1500. The seller says it's in good shape, has minimal rust, needs hubs, needs to be rewired, and he thinks the alternator regulator is fried. He did, however, put a new Edlebrock 650 on it and (previous to the frying of the alternator regulator) the truck ran well. I've never really done much mechanically (I can change my oil and rotate tires, etc.) and I do find myself to be capable with tools and smart. I have also kind of been looking for a truck to tinker with and I think this might be a good fit, I just don't want to be in over my head. So here's my question: how difficult is it going to be to rewire the truck, install new hubs, and replace the alternator regulator (along with finding these correct parts)?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:09 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Welcome to FTE, A couple things, what kind of hood do you live in? Can you have an old truck with the hood up for a few weeks and not get run out of your home?

A 4wd truck will be much more challenging than a 2wd.

Sounds a little more like a $500.00 truck, that is basically not running from what you have posted.

guluk

John

Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yup these old classic are pretty worn out. And for a guy that is asking what your asking I have to say you better pass this one. I'd bet the hole front axle needs rebuilding hub to hub or replacing. Whole Wiring loom maybe need replacing which maybe way over your head as well. I'd say pass and find a 2 wd truck that is running then fix as needed.. I'd go a long with John views of it.. my 2cents
orich

Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fried wiring and "good shape" don't belong in the same sentence.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:54 PM
jhooch
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto on the earlier posts, you can get a decent running, driving, functional highboy around here for that kind of money.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 PM
4frntmorrison
New User
Thanks everyone for the replies. I live in a place that gets snow about 9 months out of the year so I see getting a 4x4 as a necessity. Either way I still have some questions.
How can one tell if the whole axle needs to be rebuilt?
Since the wiring needs to be replaced, is a kit such as these Wiring Harness all that is needed?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:31 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Gees once you start lets say to fix a vibration and shaking of the steering wheel find bad tie rod ends. So maybe you jack up the front end the with wheels off the ground and notice the whole wheel feels lose rocking top and bottom back and fourth with lots of movement. You then find that the upper & lower king pin blocks and bearing all need replacing. Then you find the spindles are bad too. So you pull the axles out and find that all the u-joints are bad. Looking at the axles you see the axle's seal area is warn so deep that they won't stop oil from leaking pass it. You'll need replacements of the outer and inner axles. Plus you need to replace the inner axles seals. Ok now ring & pinion may need servicing like new seal and bearings. But if you don't know what bad is when looking at a part then what? my 2 cents
orich

Old 06-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Natesf100
New User
Too much money for non running truck. You can get these running with a few upgrades for $1000 or less allday long. Dont let your heart for the truck get in the way of your wallet. Be patient!!!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 PM
MrMajestyk
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Natesf100
Dont let your heart for the truck get in the way of your wallet. Be patient!!!
Welcome 4frntmorrison

Old 06-18-2011, 07:25 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll just comment on the electrical portion. The harness you are looking at is fine if you already know basic electrical theory and have basic soldering/splicing skills. All your old connectors will have to be reused. A new harness that is pretty much plug and play will run you $500-$800. Learning is great, but either look for a really cheap truck, or one that is actually running and driving to learn on. Electrical work scare's more people than anything else I know of.