Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM
New User

kyledallas is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Drivers Electric Window not Working

My drivers side electric window is not working. Passenger side working fine.. fuse is fine. I took the door panel off and took the drivers switch panel off and toggled the wires, looked for loose wires/connections both at the switch panel and the wires leading to the pwr window motor as best I could.

Drivers side switch is making positive clicking sound but window does not budge. I hooked an "S" hook from a tie down ratchet on the window arm inside the door and depressed the switch while pulling up as hard as I could.. did not move. Window is in the full/down position.

Need to determine if switch or motor is bad.. console is getting power as it will roll down passenger side window and power window controls are still operational.

Don't want to buy a motor if that's not the problem.. what are my next troubleshooting moves? My truck is a '92 .. have had it about 3 months.. don't have any replacement history on the pwr window motors.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Posting Guru

Volvo92906 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Volvo92906 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check for power at wires going to motor.

Jump motor to get it to operate. If it doesnt, it is bad.

moˇtor noun -a machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, as an induction motor.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:25 PM
New User

kyledallas is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Which wire is hot wire.. color I mean..
Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Posting Guru

Volvo92906 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Volvo92906 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
No idea. I do not have a schematic.

moˇtor noun -a machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, as an induction motor.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Senior User

CWPottenger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Either... One way up / other way down.

Take your 12 v source and ground and touch leads. then swap.. If motor moves or makes noise like it's moving probably good and issue elsewhere. if nothing in either way bad motor
Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Senior User

weskan is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 92 did that also. Turned out to be a stuck gearbox. There are some plastic "cylinders" in there that wear, and in mine disintegrated, resulting in a stuck motor/gearbox.

You can get a rebuild kit for cheap. Just three screws on the gearbox cover, Take out the gear and debris that might be in there. Clean it up and put it back together with the new pieces. (It will be obvious what to do once the cover is off) Pack with grease and replace cover. Plug in and test before installing.

I have an extra motor now because the junkyard dog that sold me the replacement gave me these three little pieces of plastic because he heard some slop in the gearbox. So I decided to take apart my original to see if these plastic pieces were my real problem. They were.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Senior User

You can get more complete kits than what I was given

Dorman/Window Lift Motor Gear Kit (74409) | 1996 Ford F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 8 Cylinders N 5.0L EFI | AutoZone.com

Dorman/Window Lift Motor Gear Kit (74426) | 1996 Ford F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 8 Cylinders N 5.0L EFI | AutoZone.com
Old 06-26-2011, 09:01 PM
The Brown Mod

Encho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant future
I wonder if i can find those gears made of steel... That would be the end of that issue.
My Write-ups: Ford Steering Box Rebuild / Ford Front End Rebuild and auto hubs replacement / Ford Rear Drum Brakes / Ford E4OD Cooler & Shift Kit mods, drain-refill procedures R.I.P. Steve, you will be deeply missed my friend
Old 06-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Senior User

It's not the gears that are the problem usually, it is the little plastic cylinders that wear and break down.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Senior User

Nitesaber is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encho View Post
I wonder if i can find those gears made of steel... That would be the end of that issue.
same with the piece that wraps around the lock cylinder. I hate how Ford went cheap on us in the door assembly moving parts (the small parts at least).
Old 06-26-2011, 10:54 PM
The Brown Mod

Encho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant future
Well, i have thought of that too Nite, but since i've had very little trouble with the windows i must say they got away with it. Surviving for 15-20 years is a long time for a plastic part in a mechanism, and it probably was very cost effective (extruding plastic gears vs. casting, then tempering, then machining steel gears, and that doesn't even count the cost of plastic vs. steel). That is my reasoning on why they did it, yet i would be more than happy to upgrade.
My Write-ups: Ford Steering Box Rebuild / Ford Front End Rebuild and auto hubs replacement / Ford Rear Drum Brakes / Ford E4OD Cooler & Shift Kit mods, drain-refill procedures R.I.P. Steve, you will be deeply missed my friend
Old 06-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Senior User

Nitesaber is starting off with a positive reputation.
I see the cost effective part about it. Let me know if you do ever find an aftermarket that is steel or at least a solid alloy for that part or anything fragile like that after years of use.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:40 PM
New User

j1shalack is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had same problem on my '93. The kit fixed it.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:37 PM
New User

BGBRY is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm having the same problem with my newly acquired '96 F150. The passenger side worked great at first but it now doesn't work at all, just like the driver's side. It looks like power goes to them since the amp meter needle moves when I hit the switch to either window. Is there a relay that could be bad? Or is this the same symptom that you guys experienced and was fixed by the motor gear kit?

Bryant
Old 01-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Senior User

92 Black Nite is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weskan View Post
My 92 did that also. Turned out to be a stuck gearbox. There are some plastic "cylinders" in there that wear, and in mine disintegrated
I also had the same issue as weskan . What I did was replace the plastic pucks with 1/4 - 20 nuts. I got this fix from a Ford Tech. and it does work, just clean out the gear case of all old grease and what's left of the plastic pucks and replace with grease and the 1/4'' nuts. On my 92, I had to drill a 1/2" access hole for the screws to remove the motor gearbox assy. from the door frame. There is a drill dimple on the door frame that you use as a guide to drill the access holes that will expose the motor screws. Just make sure there are not any wires in the way before you drill. I hope this helps you. '92
Old 01-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
05, 87, 91, aviator, bronco, driver, f150, f250, passenger, power, stoped, stopped, time, window, windows, working