6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New Member... 2005 6.0PSD No start.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 AM
BLSully
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member... 2005 6.0PSD No start.

Hey all, this looks like a great forum! I've already gleaned lots of information here lurking, but decided to join finally as I am at the point I'm just guessing, and it'd be helpful if some more knowledgeable people could validate or refute my guesses so I don't end up spending thousands trying to fix this truck

Some history/details:
* 2005 F250 6.0PSD Lariat 4x4 FX4
* 135,xxx miles
* Bought in August 2010 with 125,000
* Up until Aug. 2010, truck spent it's whole life in Tennessee.
* It spent this past winter with me in Upper Peninsula Michigan dealing with starting in -10 - 5* temps for a couple months

Part way through the winter, the truck started exhibiting severely limited power when cold. I at first thought it was just the cold weather, and started letting the truck warm up for longer periods and figured it was just a function of living with a diesel in cold weather.

Fast forward to this spring, I've moved back "home" to Northern IL and with the warmer weather I thought the truck would start behaving. It didn't The no-power when cold symptom persisted, and it also began to exhibit no-hot-start symptoms as well. Sometimes it would after a long crank, sometimes it just would take letting it sit another 10-20 minutes and it would fire up.

At this point I started doing research as I knew this could not be normal, and before I bought the truck I had read something about the "HPOP" being an issue on these motors, though at the time I didn't really realize what I was getting into.

Finally about a month ago, I drove the truck about 1 hour to a friend's house in Wisconsin, and once I parked it, it never started again, not even after letting it sit 8 hours, so it was essentially cold.

I had it towed back to my house as I do not have the budget at the moment to pay a dealership to tear into it, and I'm relatively mechanically inclined. Given the truck's symptoms, I started researching what the potential causes could be. Unfortunately it seems there are quite a few things that could cause these symptoms, but there are a couple things that make me think it is the STC fitting on the motor.

1) When the truck exhibits low-power and I floored the gas pedal, it would make a loud "whoooosh" sound, which I believe based on other threads is the sound of high pressure oil escaping the o-rings on the non-updated STC. (Praying it's not cracked branch tubes)

2) There are signs of oil dripping down the back drivers side of the motor, but there is no (fresh) oil in the valley of the the block, which I would assume would indicate an oil leak in the turbo (or it's drain). There is a film of oil in the intercooler pipes, but from what I've read, that's normal, and there is no sign of oil in the compressor housing from what I've seen so far (haven't disassembled the turbo, but it's out of the truck).

3) The previously mentioned symptoms of "Cold Starts OK, No Hot Start" (before this final complete failure)

---------------------------------------------------

Since that day, the truck has been sitting at my house, and I've been slowly removing the bits and pieces to replace the STC, believing that to be the issue. As I get closer though, I've realized I don't ever want to have to do this job again, so what else should I do while I'm in here (within reason)?

My current list:
* EGR Cooler /something/. My current favorite (but admittedly mostly uninformed) option is the BPD EGR Cooler upgrade. I do not want to deal with a tuner and I am under the impression that without a tuner, even a EGR blockoff will throw a CEL due to no flow through the EGR. If I could get away with a blockoff plate and no CEL, that would be fine with me as well. I'm mostly interested in reliability... I have no plans to do power upgrades to the truck, and I don't do any heavy hauling... It is possible I may get back into auto-crossing at some point, so a flat-bed with a RX7/Miata/similar is likely the heaviest thing the truck will have to deal with.

* Turbo rebuild. There isn't any shaft play, but i feel like I can feel "something" binding when i spin the turbo by hand. I'm hoping I can clean up the turbine and vanes and maybe it'll be good?

* STC Fitting (for obvious reasons)

At this point, I'm at....maybe $700 in parts if I do the BPD Cooler upgrade, which is honestly kinda pushing my current budget. My wife and I just recently bought a house, so my flow of excess cash is greatly diminished, and any savings I had for the vehicles is gone....so while I would /love/ to do ARP studs, gaskets, etc... they haven't failed, and I can't really justify letting the truck sit around long enough for me to save up that kinda cash to do so. That said, is there anything i just definitely /should/ do to make sure I don't have to tear into this again?

As of 2011-06-12, I have the valley of the block essentially clear. Turbo, intake manifold, oil/fuel filter assembly, and i guess by inference, alternator, and fan shroud are off the engine. I quit yesterday when I saw there was a horizontal bolt holding up-pipe bracket to the HPOP cover that faces the firewall. I about had a fit. Who's the #$%@ who thought that was a good idea? Oh well, I'll get it...

This being my first diesel...I always was under the impression that diesels were simpler than gas motors... I would kill to see my old Miata's engine bay at the moment.

Also, if anyone is in the Mchenry County area and would feel like giving me a hand, I'll supply the beer!

Last edited by BLSully; 06-13-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: punctuation and spelling
Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Thats gotta be one of the longest post Iv seen LOL

might want to change the oil cooler since your that far in
did you ever take EOTvsECT spread

get a scangauge or something for gauges
then your not throwing parts at it
factory gauges suck and they dont give enough info

www.scangauge.com
click here^^^^^^^

welcome to fte

Old 06-13-2011, 06:57 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BLSully
Hey all, this looks like a great forum! I've already gleaned lots of information here lurking, but decided to join finally as I am at the point I'm just guessing, and it'd be helpful if some more knowledgeable people could validate or refute my guesses so I don't end up spending thousands trying to fix this truck

Some history/details:
* 2005 F250 6.0PSD Lariat 4x4 FX4
* 135,xxx miles
* Bought in August 2010 with 125,000
* Up until Aug. 2010, truck spent it's whole life in Tennessee.
* It spent this past winter with me in Upper Peninsula Michigan dealing with starting in -10 - 5* temps for a couple months

Part way through the winter, the truck started exhibiting severely limited power when cold. I at first thought it was just the cold weather, and started letting the truck warm up for longer periods and figured it was just a function of living with a diesel in cold weather.

Fast forward to this spring, I've moved back "home" to Northern IL and with the warmer weather I thought the truck would start behaving. It didn't The no-power when cold symptom persisted, and it also began to exhibit no-hot-start symptoms as well. Sometimes it would after a long crank, sometimes it just would take letting it sit another 10-20 minutes and it would fire up.

At this point I started doing research as I knew this could not be normal, and before I bought the truck I had read something about the "HPOP" being an issue on these motors, though at the time I didn't really realize what I was getting into.

Finally about a month ago, I drove the truck about 1 hour to a friend's house in Wisconsin, and once I parked it, it never started again, not even after letting it sit 8 hours, so it was essentially cold.

I had it towed back to my house as I do not have the budget at the moment to pay a dealership to tear into it, and I'm relatively mechanically inclined. Given the truck's symptoms, I started researching what the potential causes could be. Unfortunately it seems there are quite a few things that could cause these symptoms, but there are a couple things that make me think it is the STC fitting on the motor.

1) When the truck exhibits low-power and I floored the gas pedal, it would make a loud "whoooosh" sound, which I believe based on other threads is the sound of high pressure oil escaping the o-rings on the non-updated STC. (Praying it's not cracked branch tubes)

2) There are signs of oil dripping down the back drivers side of the motor, but there is no (fresh) oil in the valley of the the block, which I would assume would indicate an oil leak in the turbo (or it's drain). There is a film of oil in the intercooler pipes, but from what I've read, that's normal, and there is no sign of oil in the compressor housing from what I've seen so far (haven't disassembled the turbo, but it's out of the truck).

3) The previously mentioned symptoms of "Cold Starts OK, No Hot Start" (before this final complete failure)

Since that day, the truck has been sitting at my house, and I've been slowly removing the bits and pieces to replace the STC, believing that to be the issue. As I get closer though, I've realized I don't ever want to have to do this job again, so what else should I do while I'm in here (within reason)?

My current list:
* EGR Cooler /something/. My current favorite (but admittedly mostly uninformed) option is the BPD EGR Cooler upgrade. I do not want to deal with a tuner and I am under the impression that without a tuner, even a EGR blockoff will throw a CEL due to no flow through the EGR. If I could get away with a blockoff plate and no CEL, that would be fine with me as well. I'm mostly interested in reliability... I have no plans to do power upgrades to the truck, and I don't do any heavy hauling... It is possible I may get back into auto-crossing at some point, so a flat-bed with a RX7/Miata/similar is likely the heaviest thing the truck will have to deal with.

* Turbo rebuild. There isn't any shaft play, but i feel like I can feel "something" binding when i spin the turbo by hand. I'm hoping I can clean up the turbine and vanes and maybe it'll be good?

* STC Fitting (for obvious reasons)

At this point, I'm at....maybe $700 in parts if I do the BPD Cooler upgrade, which is honestly kinda pushing my current budget. My wife and I just recently bought a house, so my flow of excess cash is greatly diminished, and any savings I had for the vehicles is gone....so while I would /love/ to do ARP studs, gaskets, etc... they haven't failed, and I can't really justify letting the truck sit around long enough for me to save up that kinda cash to do so. That said, is there anything i just definitely /should/ do to make sure I don't have to tear into this again?

As of 2011-06-12, I have the valley of the block essentially clear. Turbo, intake manifold, oil/fuel filter assembly, and i guess by inference, alternator, and fan shroud are off the engine. I quit yesterday when I saw there was a horizontal bolt holding up-pipe bracket to the HPOP cover that faces the firewall. I about had a fit. Who's the #$%@ who thought that was a good idea? Oh well, I'll get it...

This being my first diesel...I always was under the impression that diesels were simpler than gas motors... I would kill to see my old Miata's engine bay at the moment.

Also, if anyone is in the Mchenry County area and would feel like giving me a hand, I'll supply the beer!

Agreed, that was a lot of reading!

If you were not puking or losing any coolant, I would say the head gaskets are fine, but like Blade said I would buy a scan gauge to give you a piece of mind.

I remember that bolt

I would just say take your time, have everything organized, having good light is key, and heck take pictures just incase you forget something, then they are cool to look at when the job is done.

Search this Thread