Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2001 Ford Escape

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 03:00 AM
Etho
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Ford Escape

Hello from Down Under (Australia), Just stumbled across this site, and it seems to have a wealth of knowledge in it, so I thought i would try to pick the brains of the escape experts on here to try to help me with my problem on my 2001 ford escape 3.0 v6.

Now it seems simple, my engine light is on, so I've checked it with the scan tool at work (Im an apprentice mechanic), and the code is EGR flow insufficient , (sorry i don't have the letter/number code for the code itself, forgot to note it down.. )
Now i started with the simple things, pulled out my EGR valve assembly, made sure it was operating properly, cleaning it out (was very clean anyway), and the code came back, which leads me to believe it may be a sensor or vacuum issue?
Hasn't bothered me at all, since the light has been like that for 5 years, never caused a problem to the running of the car, but I'm selling it and obviously need to make the light disappear.
Anyhow I just happened to notice today that when the car is running this hose coming off the back of the inlet manifold in the picture below sucks/kinks itself right in , and only un-sucks itself slowly once the engine is shut off. I figure with the high possibility of it being a vacuum related hose it could be related to my engine light and EGR code problem. Does anybody know what exactly this hose is? and where it goes to, I had a quick look but as far as i can see, it went somewhere under the intake manifold which makes it hard to figure out what it is and what its there for, which is why Im here trying to pick the brains of you escape experts,

Thankyou in advance for any help i may be given.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The vacuum line that is collapsing it connected to the PCV, and apparently they get old and crumbly after time. If you replace it, you'll need about 9" of hose as it goes directly down to the intake cam cover on the rear cylinder head. You might also check the air flow coming into the crankcase on the front cam cover for blockage, as you are developing one heck of a vacuum in there.
I would check the DPFE sensor as they are known to get clogged after a while. I think they can cause an EGR code. If you drill the rivets, you can take it apart and clean out the gunk. Then drill slightly larger holes for a nut & bolt to reassemble. I'm not sure if the 'venture' was done here on Ford-trucks or on an Escape site.
tom

Old 06-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Etho
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply mate, pulled the DPFE sensor out today and it is clogged bad, sprayed it with all sorts of crap and letting it sit for a while, I will pull it apart after work tomorrow an further clean it and dry it out. Will let you know how it goes , thanks again