S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Fred C. Nelles property sold

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:28 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Fred C. Nelles property sold

From the Whittier Daily News. The city of Whittier has been working toward getting this property out of CA state hands since it closed in 2004. Looks like it will finally happen.

State sells Fred C. Nelles Youth Correctional Facility for $42.5 million to Brookfield Homes - Whittier Daily News

I love the photo below. They happened to shoot it in the spring while all the violet Jacaranda blooms were open.

The place has always been locked down, and even since it closed no one has been allowed to explore it. From the perimeter you can see many old building of architechural and historical interest. I'm expecting there to be battles over what to save and what to demolish.

They have been using it frequently for production filming since it closed. I often see the parking lot filled with production trailers.

As a teenager, my church basketball team was invited to play the bad boys school team. It was scary to play ball with the underage murderers and rapists. They weren't a very good team.

Merle Haggard escaped from Nelles in 1952.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:58 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good for Whittier. Hopefully it won't take forever to get the project moving. Might even drop the local cost of used brick when they start demolition

Not to drag this too far off topic Bill, but what facility was the bond issue for?

The sale of the centralized property will not close until a nearly $2.8 million bond issue used to construct a vehicle repair and storage facility is paid off.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Not to drag this too far off topic Bill, but what facility was the bond issue for?
I don't know, and was wondering the same thing. I probably didn't live in the city at the time that was done, so didn't get to vote on the issue. Assuming it was a city issue, which isn't clear. But 2.8MM is a tiny little bond, and doesn't sound like a state bond. Or maybe it is a very old bond and that is all that is left outstanding.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:19 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm wondering if it could be where the Public Storage facility is, on Whittier Blvd. just to the East...I think it's rear boundary is adjacent to the Nellis property. Seems like that was built in the late 80's/early 90's if memory serves.