Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Senior User

mharring is starting off with a positive reputation.
front diff problems!!!

im still having tire scrubbing problems, just got it back from the allighnment shop. i was wondering if my 2000 navigator had the vacum solenoids like my 97 expedition? or is this a limited slip axle in front like the rear, i found the original invoice sticker it say i have a 3.73 limited in the rear but is there one in the front, i didnt see any vacum lines or diapram system like in my expedition on the front axle. kinda wondering if it even has one. maybee the 4 wheel is ingaged by the ecm using the transfer case clutches and the diff is always limited slip. im not real shure. this is the first time ive ever troubleshoot a naviagtor but i would have a hard time believing that ford would change the models so much. but i dont know!

any help???? please before i start shootgunning parts at it!!

thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Senior User

I fish is starting off with a positive reputation.
i think only 97's and 98's have the vacuum actuated front axle. i could be wrong, but that's what i remember. i know for sure that my '98 has vacuum actuated front
Old 06-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Posting Guru

pdqford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pdqford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I fish View Post
i think only 97's and 98's have the vacuum actuated front axle.
Right. That's because those 2 years had 2WD position on the selector switch. (Can't remember if 1999 also had the 2WD option or not?).
Old 06-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Senior User

yeah it kinda makes sense now, i guess the only real question i have is "are these front diffs in navigators a limited slip or are they open?"

im really leaning towards bad ball joints and or wheel bearings and possible CV shaft damage, im thinking that the CV shafts are fine, they look real nice and tight. what bothers me is if one of these or all of them are bad how the hell did they get it to alighn properly??? i was under the impression with bad ball joints or wheel bearings u will never get a good alighnment! im gonna do the grab the wheel and move it while in the air to test the bearing. im betting thats my problem or the ball joint it self! ill keep anyone who cares posted!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Posting Guru

pdqford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pdqford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharring View Post
yeah it kinda makes sense now, i guess the only real question i have is "are these front diffs in navigators a limited slip or are they open?"
Open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharring View Post
im gonna do the grab the wheel and move it while in the air to test the bearing. im betting thats my problem or the ball joint it self! ill keep anyone who cares posted!
I like to keep the the left front wheel on the ground while I check the right front wheel and vise versa. That way when you grab the wheel at 3 & 9 o'clock and move it back and forth, the opposite wheel tends to hold steady, making it is easier to identify play in the tie rods/idler arm/pitman arm. Grab the wheel at 12 & 6 o'clock to feel for wheel hub play. And for BJ play, I put a heavy pry bar under the tire and pry it up with my hand held on each ball joint to feel for BJ play.

What are the symptons that show you are having tire scrubbing problems?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqford View Post
Open.

I like to keep the the left front wheel on the ground while I check the right front wheel and vise versa. That way when you grab the wheel at 3 & 9 o'clock and move it back and forth, the opposite wheel tends to hold steady, making it is easier to identify play in the tie rods/idler arm/pitman arm. Grab the wheel at 12 & 6 o'clock to feel for wheel hub play. And for BJ play, I put a heavy pry bar under the tire and pry it up with my hand held on each ball joint to feel for BJ play.

What are the symptons that show you are having tire scrubbing problems?

im pretty shure the tie rods and idler arm and pittman arm bushing are all shot!!
i cant get any wheel bearing play so im good there but i can take the tire at 3 and 9 and move the whole tire about a 1/2 on both ways the pitman arm and the drag link and idler all flex with it but the tie rod bushings are blwon out they look in reall bad shape all the others are not far behind, obviously ill get new tie rods but do they make front end bushing kit for navigators! i dont know but ill be taking back to the allighnment shop and making them fix it, so ill have a front end inspection done there, its funny im a mechanic in a huge mine and dont have time to fix my own stuff!!!! i was really worried about my t-case i thought the 4 wheel drive was engaging but its not!!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Post Fiend

cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.cbradford has a spectacular reputation.
I'm pretty sure the front axle is an open rear, not a limited slip at least from the factory!
05 Excursion Limited V10, 4:30(C3) Limited Slip
01 Expy EB, 5.4, 3:55 Limited Slip, 2006 27' Outback T.T. 7000lbs-loaded
Old 06-12-2011, 09:43 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2003, 97, bearing, check, connection, diff, differential, expedition, f150, ford, front, play, problems, ranger, vacuum