Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Crew Cab Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:45 AM
The Freak
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crew Cab Project

It's been kind of slow on here so I figured I would post some pics of my crew cab that I've been slowly working on. On top of trying to keep the pulling truck going (rearend I just put in blew out at our first pull of the year last weekend) I've been working on my crew cab along with my 77 Hi Boy.

My goal is to have the crew cab (actually all three trucks) going so I can pull them at our local fair on July 30th. Right now, my focus on the crew cab is the drivetrain and basically getting it moving again. Next year, I will focus on swapping the 74 body onto the 4x4 frame. I will do more detailed stuff at that time. This is not a highly detailed resto like Pat's , but for what this truck is going to be, what I am doing will work just fine. Here is a link to the file that I have created. I will add more pics as things move along!!

1975 Ford Crew Cab 4x4 Build pictures by THEWOOD498 - Photobucket

Old 06-13-2011, 04:51 PM
The Freak
Senior User
I uploaded a few more photos. I have done some more things since then so I will have to get some more photos and get them loaded. Overall, things are moving along alright.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 PM
The Freak
Senior User
Hoping to have the engine back by the end of the week. With almost only one month to go before the pull, it's going to be time to do some serious wrenching!!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:54 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks good. Looks like a trip down southeast in a month is in order. Cant wait to see all three trucks pull.Last year was a good time. Hope to do it again this year. Hope the pulling season is going well for you. Havent been to any pulls this season. I hope that will change soon.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:47 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Wow, that is a serious motor man!!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:23 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 306 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally Posted by 97nukeford
Wow, that is a serious motor man!!
It would be really nice in your '67 right??

Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Great idea Neil, now I just need to talk Jamey into handing it over....LOL

Old 07-12-2011, 09:23 AM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 306 Likes on 281 Posts
It would save you some time in building the 351W....lol

Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 PM
The Freak
Senior User
LOL!! If you're coming to get it Pat, you better hurry up!! I'm going to try and have it bolted in the truck Thursday night!!

Actually, this engine has a lot of potential if a guy wanted to build a real runner. Right now, compression is around 9.5:1 so it will run on pump gas. I also have a smaller solid lifter camshaft and cast iron intake on it so it will pull the vacuum it needs to, to be legal. Change some of those things, and there is big potential for more HP!!

I uploaded more pics to the file that I have going for it. Check em out!! Slowly, I'm still gaining ground.

Engine looks better now that it is ready to go in the truck. Still have more things to bolt on, but those will be done once it is in the truck.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:20 PM
The Freak
Senior User
Here's a couple of updates on the project!!

After working many hours and getting very little sleep, I got the truck together and had it at the Wahoo pull, however, I did not end up with the results that I hoped for.

In the light class, I slipped the clutch too much coming out of the hole (it's been years since I pulled a truck without a slipper clutch). Once the clutch heated it up, it would not grab so I was forced to stop.

In the heavy class, I knew I had to get the clutch fully engaged at a lower RPM and then let the 501 do all of the work. I got the clutch engaged and started getting into it when I heard a clunk. It sounded like it was right under the tranny cover, but the truck was still moving so I wasn't sure what it was. I drove the truck to the pits, and even loaded it onto the trailer later that. Yesterday, I rolled it off, gave it some gas in reverse, and it quit moving all together. Once we started pushing it into the shop, the middle driveshaft fell down. Turns out that the 1350 yoke I had made for the tranny broke all the way around where they attached the splines. Not sure why this happened since I had the same machine shop make me a yoke for my pulling truck, and I've been running it for 3-4 years now with alot more abuse than the crew cab would ever give one.

To top it all off, my Mod pulling truck had electrical issues so needless to say my hometown pull was a major disappointment for me, especially, after all of the time I spent away from home to get everything ready!!

Even though I didn't get the results I wanted at the pull, the crew cab is up and moving again!! The 501 sounds great and from what I've done with it, it has a ton of power and torque. It was awesome to see an old Ford crew at the pull!! I had quite a few people take a look at it!!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:25 PM
The Freak
Senior User
This catches you up to where I am right now!!

Well, the repairs continue!! I went to another pull down in Pickrell, NE and came home with some more carnage. This time, I drove the truck alot easier off the line so the clutch held up without any problems. Once I was rolling, I layed into it. I looked down and was turning right below 6K RPM's so about perfect for where I want the engine to run, RPMwise. I was going down the track great and then BOOM!! Rear driveshaft went (found this out as I was driving off and a kid sitting alongside the track asked me if I was going to pick up my driveshaft.....LOL!!). My initial thought was that the tranny yoke let loose again, but it wasn't. Once again, I'm not really sure why this happened.....I was running brand new Spicer 1350 yokes and u-joints. My only thought is that since I have to run stock suspension, my rearend was doing more twisting than what I anticipated. Plus, without running any weights out front, the rearend works alot more. So at this point, I'm not sure what I am going to do?? I hate to spend any more money this year, but I think I'm going to order some 1410 stuff and get it back together for one more pull to try and test it out some more yet this year. Now, that it's running again, if the opportunity to pull is there, I want to take it. Either way, I made it further down the track this time, and it seems to run pretty dang hard!!

This is pretty much all the photos I have of the truck to date:

<!-- m -->http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k49 ... 4%20Build/<!-- m -->

Here is the video from the Pickrell pull. Trust me, it sounds alot different in person!! I was impressed with the track speed that I got out of it.

<!-- m -->http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video. ... 1842365654<!-- m -->