Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Senior User

cmdevildog16 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turbo Lag....

Is there anyway to reduce the amount of turbo lag on take off? when taking off from a light even if i punch it, it takes about 5 to 7 seconds to react...just curious.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Probably not on a stock truck. A couple of options are getting your FICM tuned by PHP, which is a LOT less invasive than PCM tuning, or getting a tuner. Try two footed driving--hold the brake and give it a SMALL amount of fuel before leaving a stop and roll into the throttle rather than punching it (which makes lag worse).

Rest in peace Mojo. My friend and faithful companion you shall ever be.

Tim
Old 06-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Senior User

ok, thats what i figured, but now i have another question going off of what you said about FICM tuning....is it better than say going the sct route for your truck and do you get the same kind of results?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevildog16 View Post
ok, thats what i figured, but now i have another question going off of what you said about FICM tuning....is it better than say going the sct route for your truck and do you get the same kind of results?
FICM tuning is a different animal than PCM tuning entirely. You don't get the big HP gains that you do with PCM tuning. It's more of an adjustment to driveability than performance. Typical gains are 1-3 MPG and better throttle response although not every truck responds the same.

Rest in peace Mojo. My friend and faithful companion you shall ever be.

Tim
Old 06-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Senior User

ok hmmm that is definatley somthing to ponder as i was going to get the sct sf3 soon but now im not sure what to do...lol...thank you for the information
Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 AM

Maxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputationMaxium4x4 has a superb reputation
The stock program will lag because of air to fuel with no smoke, a custom program will get rid of the lag and give a better throttle responce. Nothing hot, just a mild street tune or try Partsmans suggestion.

2003 F-350 Reg Cab 6.0L
Old 06-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Posting Guru

joe blow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.joe blow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Alot of my turbo lag went away as soon as I got rid of the y-pipe feeding the EGR cooler....almost instantaneous throttle response now.....and ofcourse an SCT tuner
Old 06-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
5-7 seconds lag isn't normal. Tell me this, if you go WOT from a stop, does it barely creep along until it gets to about 2300rpm, then take off like a scalded cat? If that's the case, it sounds like your turbo vanes are stuck in the open position and it needs to be taken apart and cleaned at least.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:49 PM