Sponsored by:

Rear controls removal and dvd install

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 10:47 PM
bbex
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear controls removal and dvd install

So I bought a 2002 Excursion Limited with the PSD in it. Has all the bells and whistles except for the dvd system. With the kids I need to install one. I am looking to figure out how to pop the rear control ***** off and install the factory unit. I was curious if factory wiring would already be up in there to just hook up to since I have everything but the dvd and maybe just not purchased at the dealer as an extra option. I have been trying to figure out how to get those ***** off and check it out but I haven't found any answers all over the web.
So broken down
-remove rear control *****
-install factory dvd system

Thanks and holy hell this truck is the best thing I have ever driven. I even got rid of my 1997 crew cab OBS PSD to get this thing.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:25 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
was a factory dvd offered in 2002 ?

My 01 has the factory VCR in the center console but I recall the DVD's being dealer installed add ons and many of them had the DVD player mounted in the overhead console with the screen.

Even if the wiring was already in the headliner I would think you would want to run a new wire loom to feed video to to the overhead monitor and use a newer dash mounted DVD head unit. In the scheme of things pulling a few wires through the headliner is pretty simple process.

Conversion harness are available to wire aftermarket head units into the steering wheel audio controls.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:48 AM
bbex
New User
I am pretty sure they were offered in 2002. I have looked through all the aftermarket head units, I had a boss installed in my obs. I just really like the look of the factory setup with the rear controls on the left of it. Looks so clean. Good to know that there are aftermarket harnesses for it.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:21 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
I have never seen one in person but here it is.

Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2016, 11:37 AM
bbex
New User
That is exactly it. I had found one on ebay the other day but it sold right away before I could ****** it up. I just need to figure out how to pop the rear controls off. The ***** on the left of the system that are sitting in the middle of the headliner. I didn't see any screws or way to pop off.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:46 PM
ESank
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '02 has one. Pretty sure it is factory as it is listed on the dealer invoice. Mine won't eject the dvd right now, so I've gotta check that out.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:00 AM
Atc210
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My 02 came with it factory, good luck finding one that works. ESank...My DVD player has the same issue will not eject. So did the 3 others I looked at. A while back I talked with Ford they have access to rebuilt DVD units for $600. Auh...No thanks. If it was my Excursion (bbex) if you have the know how, would just install a after market unit with a bigger screen. IMHO the factory unit is to small anyway. Plus for what your going to pay on eBay or Craig's list for possible a functioning kind of unit, you could spend a little extra and get a much nicer system installed. For now I just run tiny DVD player off a inverter from upfront that plugs into the AUX port. Much easier then having the wife or myself trying to eject a DVD while driving.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:26 PM
thartz52
New User
Rear heater control removal

Does anyone know if you are able to remove the rear heat and AC controls all together to mount a larger DVD player in the same location ? I don't mind controlling everything from up front just don't know if it will affect the front controls if the rear is removed

Originally Posted by bbex
So I bought a 2002 Excursion Limited with the PSD in it. Has all the bells and whistles except for the dvd system. With the kids I need to install one. I am looking to figure out how to pop the rear control ***** off and install the factory unit. I was curious if factory wiring would already be up in there to just hook up to since I have everything but the dvd and maybe just not purchased at the dealer as an extra option. I have been trying to figure out how to get those ***** off and check it out but I haven't found any answers all over the web.
So broken down
-remove rear control *****
-install factory dvd system

Thanks and holy hell this truck is the best thing I have ever driven. I even got rid of my 1997 crew cab OBS PSD to get this thing.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Ben Tylka
New User
bbex, I have a non-working RES system I can send you for a rebuild, if you figure the problem of removing rear controls out

When I bought my Ex 2 years ago the RES wasn't working and I have researched several times what to do with it. Cheapest option I found was to buy a rebuilt one for around $600 and swap them. However, that gives you 2003 technology for 2016 pricing. I stopped by the local auto AV shop earlier this year to talk with him about a replacement. He quoted around $1000 to pull the old unit out, fabricate a cover for all the left over holes and install a 13" DVD player with wireless headphones. Seemed like a good deal but I didn't pull the trigger (I think my wife spent that money on something ). I was also hesitant as I did not know if the rear climate control would work without the rear controls in place.