Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Projects
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Posting Guru

Rusty_Old_F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rusty_Old_F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Project Piledriver

It seems everyone and his brother has a project thread going for their rig, so I might as well start one! My money pit is a 1973 Ford F250 Camper Special, with the 390.

Here's my truck pretty much as I found him:

Click the image to open in full size.

At the time I took those pictures all I'd done was had the oil and fluids changed, the suspension greased and added those side boards.

It quickly became apparent Piledriver was going to be a big project! No rear brakes (the brake line was rusted in half), frozen parking brake, 12 inches of play in the steering, a very tired motor with a ton of wore out parts on it. and some very bad, bald and dry-rotted tires.

The Piledriver (as I've named him) has changed quite a bit since then, I've fix and added an awful lot of stuff. I added a spotlight, big mudflaps, a new transmission, and a bunch of other stuff. Of course I fixed the brakes and all that first! That stuff passing for rubber that was wrapped around my rims got replaced too. So far I've replaced or majorly serviced every component on the engine except the long block itself. I swapped out the c6 auto for a 4spd manual, had the drive-shaft completely re-built, and too much other stuff to list.

As he sits today:

All along my goal has been to build this old beater into a mountain truck, a hardy logging road firewood hauler. It did that pretty well for a lot of years, but the years have taken their toll. So now that I have my hands on him, I have plans for a new motor, a bunch more work elsewhere on him, and a few more little accessories, like more lights!

Sam
Old 06-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Elder User

1980 Ford F-250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thats a pretty nice truck! What is that gauge and switch next to the battery?

1980 XLT Ranger F250 4x4 400/c6 - Current project
1976 Ford F150 Ranger XLT 4x2 390/c6
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 289/cruise-o-matic
Old 06-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Posting Guru

Rusty_Old_F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rusty_Old_F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks! He has come a long way, but still has a long way to go, but at least he's reliable and drive-able. The old c6 was so wore out I couldn't drive him- not safely atleast!

That little gauge reads how much charge the battery is at, it's very handy to have, and has saved me from getting stuck with a dead battery several times.

Sam
Old 06-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Elder User

1980 Ford F-250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Old_F250 View Post
at least he's reliable and drive-able.
Thats all that really matters! Looking good is an added bonus!

1980 XLT Ranger F250 4x4 400/c6 - Current project
1976 Ford F150 Ranger XLT 4x2 390/c6
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 289/cruise-o-matic
Old 06-18-2011, 11:57 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Projects